It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Atenolol/shortness of breath

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-11-2015, 10:54 PM   #1
    Larry994
    (male)

Larry994 HB User
    Atenolol/shortness of breath

Hello everyone,

I'm 22 years old and currently on Atenolol for high blood pressure. I've been taking half of a 25mg pill every night, once a day before going to sleep. But my problem is this, I have been getting shortness of breath ever since I've started taking this drug. I've read online from numerous sources stating that its a side effect and that I should see medical attention or my doctor as soon as possible. Went to my doctor today and she said that its normal and that it would go away, but then again, everywhere that I have read said that its a bad thing. But here's a thing also, I've been eating very good lately basically cutting sugar out my diet, drinking lots of water daily, eating everything that helps prevent HBP including a ton of bananas, squash, potatoes, and etc. and also maintaining 1,500mg of sodium a day along with working out at the gym everyday especially allot of cardio. I found that its help me keep my blood pressure normal, but I'm sure the Atenolol is helping but I'm starting to think that I don't need this drug, and I want too stop taking it because of the "shortness of breath".

I've only been taking this drug for 2 weeks now, should I stop taking it? Cold turkey pretty much, but I have also read that sudden stop of this drug can be serious too my health like chance of a heart attack. As a 22 year old, it's scary thinking about that. I would like too point out that when I first found out I had HBP, my reading was 160/90, the nurse in the room said I can get like a stroke any higher then that. It all started with these anxiety & panic attacks that lead me to see a doctor. But since then, all my anxiety & panic attacks have been gone. I've kept track of my blood pressure and it appears normal mostly all the time I've checked it.

What should I do? This "shortness of breath" is annoying and I just cant take it anymore. I feel as a 22 year old, I don't need this drug and keeping a healthy diet is working out.

Please, any help of a response would be great.

Thank you, Larry.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2015, 07:19 PM   #2
    namelessme
    Veteran
    (male)

namelessme HB User
    Re: Atenolol/shortness of breath

My first question would be, why were you given a beta blocker at all? It's not usually the initial drug given to control BP. High pulse rate? Palpitations? For stress?

Do you have asthma at all? Beta blockers + asthma is a bad mix, and may be what is causing your shortness of breath.

There are lots of other meds you can try for BP, diuretics or an ARB or ACE. All tend to have less side effects than Beta Blockers do. Don't quit your beta blocker cold turkey... very bad idea... can land you in the ER room.

Instead, maybe just find a different doctor?

Old 12-18-2015, 01:06 AM   #3
    Zasame
    (male)

Zasame HB User

i have been on beta blockers and the whole time i have been struggling i never knew it was the Beta Blocker.I kept going to my doctor worried something was wrong.

I came off both that and the water pill Hydrochlorothorazide cold turkey,big mitake very bad side effects with seriosu Angina and hard time breathing.
    I have Asthma so if my lazy Cardiologist actually looked at my files he would realize i already had issues with the pills earlier,i have Asthma and i have very bad kidneys which should be dried out fiuther from water pills.

So he gives me his attitude and says i need to be on 5 medications bascially oen from each category chanell.Beta.Calcium ACE inhibitors yada yada.

Instantly i feel tightness in chest,i got 5 days and am like no way i am getting severe dizziness and sick feeling of passing out when i do moderate exercise which of course is way worse in the heat of the summer.

I am this time coming off slow,1/2 pil lof the 25mg dose but already i am havign Angine problems again eve ncoming off slowly.Bottom line is it is a very damgerous drug.The ONLY reason we don't hear more fro mside effects is because 90% of the patients are not ver yactive,i do not have a single person in my rehab class that is younger than me or active .Point being you won't notice th eeffects as bad if al lyo udo is sit around,you can tolerate 90/50 bp but if you add in exercise or moderate work,those numbers will dip right down to near 60/10.Then yo uwill feel faint and very weak and sick to the stomach and when it happened to me in the summertime ,oh my god i struggled to do all i could to stay conscious and not pass out,terrible sick feeling as well.

So now he is using me as a guinea pig again trying some Diltiazem which after researching has far too many bad side effects.I don't think this doctor gives a dam and just chooses the status quo for his own safety reasons.

These doctors need to tihnk a bit and quit using the automatic status quo they use on every patient.Also take a look at the blood work,look for a reason you are using those medications.

Anyhow i am back searching here because some people mentioned a different sort of similar to Beta blocker but doesn't cause the same side effects and drastic drop in BP.The drug i think started with a C i'll find it somewhere in here.

I wil l search for that other drug and try it,it is my last hope to not use Beta Blockers.I might also point out that Doctors will 100% ALWAYS rule out kidney's as the problem ,they will instead figure it is the BP causing the Kidney problems which is not totally accurate.

Also on your potassium kick,you don't want to ruin the balance of your Kidney's,they need a balance of Salt and Potassium to filter properly,so loading up on Potassium to out weigh salt is a bad idea because Salt will raise your bp anyhow.

BTW don't let those Doctors feed you bull about being rare side effects,they don't test the drugs,pharmaceuticals pay millions to government to get their meds legalized.The FDA is on a rampant lawsuite run right now going after all these giants that withhold valuabler safety information.

There is a big problem and why they often are using multiple pills,MOST of them do not do anything,the Beta blockers really do work but imo they are very dangerous.
    S othere is a huge problem you NEED bp to stay under control and most pills won't do it,Beta Blockers will,so do yo uwant to risk slower heart function and dangerously low bp if you are active and possible Angine effects to lower that bp?

Old 12-23-2015, 11:11 PM   #4
    namelessme
    Veteran
    (male)

namelessme HB User

"The drug i think started with a C"...

Coreg (carvidilol)? Candersartan?

Coreg is a beta blocker (with some alpha blocking abilities), Candersartan is an ARB. Not sure which drug you are referring to, but those came to mind.

Old 12-25-2015, 11:50 PM   #5
    Zasame
    (male)

Zasame HB User

It is not Candesartan i am already on that.
    It is that other C drug Carvedilol or whatever it's called.I heard some people say good things about it,so i might ask my doctor to try that instead of going to my cardiologist whom i have zero confidence in.

I would say judging by how well i felt when the side effects finally wore of from beta blockers that i would have been 100% healthier and feeling better 6 months ago after the operation if Beta Blockers were never given to me ever.

Old 12-25-2015, 11:57 PM   #6
    Zasame
    (male)

Zasame HB User

I should note that on a follow up me and my doctor decided rather than try new medicines i am trying a half pill of Attenolol 12.5 mg and crazy how powerful that drug is ,even at 1/2 pill i have very close to the same effects my BP is around 100/58 resting and last time my BP w/o any Beta Blocker was 175.
    I am guessing i could drop down even lower to a 1/4 pill and i might just do that if i continue to get feint spells when i task my cardio a bit.

The problem with the whole medical system is NOBODY knows exactly why people have BP problems,they just GUESS or don't even think that much,they simply see a number and say here take some pills.

I am concerned with my 175 reading off the BB's because i never had that kind of BP just a lil over a year ago,it all started when i got severe blockages happening and quickly.SO i am concerned that 178 while still on Candesartan seems too high and likely cause that somewhere in my Artery system is some heavy blockage perhaps even a stent is partially closed.

The Sickening reality is i spent 6 months prior to a heart attack doing all those Xrays and Echocardiograms and Stress Tests and they told me nothing was wrong and now they want to continue using the same useless tests that were wrong on every account last time.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:06 AM   #7
    Zasame
    (male)

Zasame HB User

No that shortness of breath and tight chest will not go away.
    What i have noticed is sometime when i am very relaxed laying down,i get a chest feeling that almost feels like my heart is stopping or missing a beat.

I have been taking Beta Blockers since my operation in May so 7 months ago and ALL three i have tried give the exact same side effects and cause the BP to actually go below normal.Tha ttells me it is blocking too much aderenaline not allowing the hearet to work properly as needed like when you try to do heavy exercise your heart will not pick up enough speed to give you proper blood flow,that is why the BP will actually drop further down until you stop and relax.

I also have noticed that if i really tax my cardio which i have done tons in my life having played tons of sports,i will get angina that may last for several days even 2-3 weeks.You will likely also get that same effect coming completely off the drug to which it took about 6 weeks to finally rid of all side effects.Sadly my BP shot right back up and now i am back on beta blockers as no other BP medicine seems to do a single thing.

It is all a mask anyhow,doctor's ar not fixing anything with these pills,it is just keeping your bp down and lowering the risk of Kidney damage while causing side effects and fixing nothing and not even looking to fix anything.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:08 AM   #8
    Zasame
    (male)

Zasame HB User

No that shortness of breath and tight chest will not go away.
    What i have noticed is sometime when i am very relaxed laying down,i get a chest feeling that almost feels like my heart is stopping or missing a beat.

I have been taking Beta Blockers since my operation in May so 7 months ago and ALL three i have tried give the exact same side effects and cause the BP to actually go below normal.Tha ttells me it is blocking too much aderenaline not allowing the hearet to work properly as needed like when you try to do heavy exercise your heart will not pick up enough speed to give you proper blood flow,that is why the BP will actually drop further down until you stop and relax.

I also have noticed that if i really tax my cardio which i have done tons in my life having played tons of sports,i will get angina that may last for several days even 2-3 weeks.You will likely also get that same effect coming completely off the drug to which it took about 6 weeks to finally rid of all side effects.Sadly my BP shot right back up and now i am back on beta blockers as no other BP medicine seems to do a single thing.

It is all a mask anyhow,doctor's ar not fixing anything with these pills,it is just keeping your bp down and lowering the risk of Kidney damage while causing side effects and fixing nothing and not even looking to fix anything.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:24 PM   #9
    namelessme
    Veteran
    (male)

namelessme HB User

Took me a moment to realize that I was about to reply to someone new and not the OP. I wondered why a 22 year old would have had a heart attack or blocked arteries.

Anyway, If you did have a heart attack or are experiencing any signs of heart failure, certain beta blockers are better than others. Coreg is sort of the standard treatment .... there are others, like Bystolic and so on too. Coreg is the one typically used, however.

I have cardiomyopathy and it's what I take. Like all beta blockers however, dosages do matter... too much and you will notice side effects. If you have uneven heart beats and so on, best to remain on a beta blocker as well. It may not play nice with asthma however.... but it's a better drug than Atenolol is.

And you are on an ace inhibitor plus an ARB at the same time? Odd choice if so... I thought most studies showed it wasn't worth the risk to be on both at the same time.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:35 PM   #10
    Zasame
    (male)

Zasame HB User

I have had concerns with beta blocker Attenolol so he has decided to put me on Diltiazem.
    I talked to family Doctor about it and he says is the typical medicine they give patients in the hospital for hbp.

Got sent to a nephrologist whom didn't have much positive to say to me.
    He basically said it is a complicated ordeal to decipher numbers and kidneys and causes but says my symptoms and conditions are typical of heart disease.

My family doctor and i talked it over and decided to try 1/2 a dose of atenolol and it seemed to be fine for several days but now my bp is back at 140/70.

The Nephrologist hinted that perhaps he would remove the Candesartan and put me back on a water pill.He says the idea behind it all is to lower the salt because it allows the other pills to work better.

Closed Thread

Tags
    atenolol, high blood pressure, high blood pressure hypertension medication, shortness of breath