It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• My experience taking Atenolol and withdrawals

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-28-2016, 08:55 AM   #1
    sportsnut51
    (male)

sportsnut51 HB User
    My experience taking Atenolol and withdrawals

I had a heart attack 5 months ago and was put on a number of pills by my Cardiologist. Plavix, Lipitor, Baby Aspirin and Atenolol.

Within 1 month I started having anxiety from out of nowhere. Went to my PCP and was told that some people experience anxiety after having a heart attack.

I have never had any anxiety out of the norm and never had any panic attacks in my entire life.

After I had been on Atenolol for about 2 months I knew something wasn't right. I couldn't sleep, my appetite was terrible and anxiety just seemed to increase.

My PCP decided I needed to try Zoloft. Tried it for 2 weeks and anxiety worsened. Quit cold turkey. She then wanted me to try Lexapro. 2 weeks l later quit cold turkey for the same reasons.

My anxiety and blood pressure just seem to be increasing instead of lowering as Atenolol is supposed to do. I was feeling terrible on this medicine but my PCP and Cardiologist kept telling me it was not the Atenolol. Well, something I am taking is causing this and I told my Cardiologist I am about to stop taking it all. Well that didn't go over well. So, I told him I was going to quit the Atenolol because in spite of what he said I believed that was the problem. He told me to go cold turkey. I was taking 25mg. From reading other post I knew that I should try to wean down on this med but was feeling so bad I decided to go cold turkey and see what happened. Within 2 days I was having Panic Attacks and Anxiety through the roof. I had been on this med for 4 months and felt horrible. Decided now was the time to stick it out.

The first week was absolutely horrible. Panic attacks and constant anxiety. Since starting Atenolol I have lost close to 40 pounds and I'm not a big guy. Went from 220 down to 180.

I am on day 9 now and am starting to feel a little better. Having a few hours each day where I almost feel myself. Then the anxiety comes back and still having mild Panic Attacks. I am 100% sure that the Atenolol (beta blocker) was my problem. The few hours I have felt better each day have been the best I have felt since starting this horrible med.

I have not gone back to my PCP or Cardiologist since stopping this med as neither one believes it is the problem. They just want to write me another prescription.

I am seeing a light at the end of the tunnel and realize the Atenolol takes a while to get out of ones system.

My question is how long should I expect to still feel the withdrawals from this med? Heart racing, adrenaline out of nowhere, anxiety and panic attacks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2017, 06:24 PM   #2
    sportsnut51
    (male)

sportsnut51 HB User
    Re: My experience taking Atenolol and withdrawals

On day 13 now and having a rough day. Been depressed all day and had a few bouts with Anxiety. Yesterday was a good day but there still was some anxiety. I keep going back after a good day and just don't understand why. I have been miserable for 4 months due to this med and hoping someone can give me some some insight as to what I should be doing to help with these withdrawal symptons.

Anyone weaned or went cold turkey off Atenolol?

Old 07-10-2017, 05:39 PM   #3
    Riclis
    (female)

Riclis HB User

Hi Sportsnut51. Any updates on your status? I'm on day 8 of coming off Atenolol and need some hope. The withdrawal is hellacious. Hope you're well.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:57 PM   #4
    kyb0caan
    (female)

kyb0caan HB User

Have you been successful at getting off atenolol?

Old 08-19-2021, 09:48 PM   #5
    sammy60
    (male)

sammy60 HB User

Hope this has resolved for you both. 25 mg is a pretty low dose. I take a lot more (for years) and have noticed that if I am a few hours late with a dose my heart starts thumping quite noticeably. Once we started up the dose level, that's when my cardiologist said not to ever quit cold turkey because of the heart attack risk.

Reply Reply