It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• BP 221/110 very high for at least a week

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-02-2019, 09:07 PM   #1
    susanr53
    (female)

susanr53 HB User
    BP 221/110 very high for at least a week

65 and female. Always thought I was pretty healthy so I haven't been to Doctor for about a year. Went in last week for my annual check up and found that my BP was 180/101. Doctor sent me home & asked that I take my BP at home every other day morning and then the next day afternoon. Well, at home it has been 221/110, 218/108, 179/99, 200/102, and so on. Doesn't matter if if it's morning or night. Although, night it's around 200/110 and the mornings readings are 175/99 ish. My face is flushed and I have an annoying headache everyday. When I called doc with my 221/110 reading the day after my appt., she put me on Amlodipine once a day. Will be seeing doc again in about 11 days. Any ideas on what they heck is going on with my BP? FYI... I don't drink, smoke, no drugs. Scaring the heck out of my husband who expects to find me collapsed or something all day long and checks on my while I'm sleeping at night. Sweetie.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2019, 07:17 AM   #2
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: BP 221/110 very high for at least a week

Hi Susan!

Sorry to hear about your scary blood pressure levels. I hope that you can get your blood pressure down to healthy levels as soon as possible.

I'm a 74 year old male, so I don't have the same hormonal problems, effecting blood pressure, that you would have.

However... back in 1989 I suffered from chronically high blood pressure. No matter how many meds that the doctor threw at me, the meds would not bring my blood pressure down to healthy levels. I tried everything! Finally, I found something that worked and lowered my blood pressure significantly. It was soooooo easy to do, since I was home all day. Starting in 2007, my blood pressure levels have been averaging around 122/72 all day long, month after month, year after year.

I tried a small meal, frequent eating, low calorie, LOW CARB, balanced diet of 6-7 meals per day. My daily calorie consumption was less than 1500 calories per day. I don't know if this would bring your blood pressure levels down to healthier and safer levels, but I thought I'd post about what worked for me.

Do you know your blood sugar levels? Blood sugar problems can cause high blood pressure, IMHO.

I posted about my successful experiences with lowering my chronically high blood pressure, back in 2008, on a thread titled: My 24 Hour Blood Pressure Averages for 2003 compared with 2008 at the link: https://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/648139-my-24-hour-blood-pressure-averages-2003-compared-2008-a.html

Regards, and best of health, Bob

⇒ My cheap asthma inhaler is Fluticasone Nasal Spray!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:30 AM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi Susanr53,

Blood pressure can be high from any number of things including anxiety. While you are worried about someone finding you on the floor- you are increasing your anxiety levels, which really can raise your blood pressure.

It can also be raised by hormones or by any number of cardiac conditions.

Give it some time on the new drug to see if it helps and in 11 days when you go back to your doctor, talk to him/ her about possible reasons and let them guide you through some tests. Remember though, the more you stress out about it, the higher it is going to be. Try to relax and take your bp when you are feeling that way. You may want to take it first thing in the morning, even before you get your day going- just to compare.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:53 AM   #4
    susanr53
    (female)

susanr53 HB User

Sounds reasonable. Yes, that is something easy to do. I'll give it a try. Thanks

Old 02-03-2019, 07:59 AM   #5
    susanr53
    (female)

susanr53 HB User

MSNik... I'm not worried about someone finding me on the floor. That'd be my husband. My early morning reading is still in the 174/102 range. I'm sure I'll find out more when I see the Doc again in mid Feb. Thanks

Old 02-03-2019, 10:26 AM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Are you overweight? High cholesterol? High sodium? What about family history? I have high BP and it's genetic. My weight is fine. Great cholesterol. Sodium tends to be on the low side. Was jogging 10 miles a week when it hit me...

Old 02-03-2019, 10:48 AM   #7
    susanr53
    (female)

susanr53 HB User

Titchou... Probably 20 lbs overweight. Cholesterol borderline and sodium fine. I do have family history with high BP. I'm taking Machaon's advice and eating better, cutting back on the carbs, eating more broccoli and fruit, less "white" food. Small portions 6 times a day. I think, I can do this. Thanks

Old 02-03-2019, 12:04 PM   #8
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I've tried to wean off the meds twice...doc said give it a try. No go....bad genes!!! UGH! Hope you get yours under control.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:48 PM   #9
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Hi Susan!

Since you have decided to eat 6 times a day, I thought that I would share my diet info with you, even if it isn't a diet with which you would enjoy or be interested in. Everyone is different and women's digestive tolerance is different than men's, so my diet might not work for you. But... it might give you some ideas.

I was very sensitive to sugar and had to severely limit the sugar and carbs in my diet. I have recovered quite a bit, but at first I could not eat any fruits, or tomatoes, or any high carb low fiber vegetables like peas.

My current daily diet: (No takeouts. No eating out. No alcohol.)

5:30 am & 8:00am:
    • Microwaved one mashed extra large hard boiled egg seasoned with ginger and butter
    • cup high fiber, low sugar Cereal with water and ginger
    • one tablespoon low sugar yogurt.

10:30am & 1pm & 3:30pm:
    • large romaine or iceberg salad with:
    1. large pinch Mexican blend shredded cheese
    2. mushrooms
    3. carrot
    4. tomato
    5. broccoli
    6. one tablespoon of home-made honey mustard salad dressing
    • low carb snack bar
    • one tablespoon low sugar yogurt.
    • sprinkle on some powered ginger root.

6:00 pm:
    • The same large romaine or iceberg salad
    • One slice mild cheddar cheese.

I also drink decaf coffee with a little half and half.

Here is how I make a delicious no refrigeration honey mustard salad dressing:
    • One cup of either raw or regular honey. (Add more honey to taste)
    • One cup of apple cider vinegar.
    • One cup of spicy brown mustard.
    • One cup of extra virgin olive oil. (Add more olive oil to taste)
    • One teaspoon of ginger.
    • Four teaspoons of salt.
    • One teaspoon of pepper.

I needed a low calorie, low sugar salad dressing. I didn't find one, so I settled for a higher calorie honey dressing. I am using only one tablespoon (4 grams of sugar) of my homemade honey-mustard dressing on my large, romaine, mushroom, carrot, tomato, shredded cheese, and broccoli, salads.

I make a huge vat of it and because I only use one tablespoon, four times a day, on my salads. It lasts for many weeks on the shelf. I do not refrigerate it. If you refrigerate it, it can crystallize and thicken the honey making a less pleasant, lumpy, unappetizing salad dressing.

The steps I take to make the salad dressing follow:
    • I first put in the salt, pepper and ginger.
    • Then I add the well-shaken apple cider vinegar and mix well.
    • I then put in the extra virgin olive oil and mix well. Interesting... at this point it doesn't look like it's mixing well together.
    • Then I add the honey and mix well.
    Note: It seems to mix a little better, but the olive oil still seems to be separate.
    • I lastly add the mustard and beat the hell out of it until mixed well.
    Note: It seems to take a few days for the ingredients to settle and mix thoroughly together.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:25 PM   #10
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bless you! I would faint dead away by 1 PM without more protein!!! Not to mention I hate boiled eggs...

Old 02-04-2019, 10:28 AM   #11
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

The average inactive person needs around 56 grams of protein per day. According to my spreadsheet, I am consuming about 66 grams of protein per day.

There are many ways to achieve a small meal, low carb, low calorie, diet of six meals per day. My current diet would be one that someone with serious, chronic, threatening health issues would eat, IMHO. I LOVE it. The hero of my diet is the home-made honey mustard salad dressing. Very tasty!

My diet has changed many times, over the years, as I recovered from Diabetes 2 and Insulin Resistance, which resulted in much healthier blood pressure. Back in 2005, my diet was as follows:

Quote:
    For breakfast, I have one egg, about 1/2 cup of high fiber cereal, like Barbara's Grainshop, Coffee Rich, which is a non dairy milk substitute, with 1/4 apple and 1/2 100% whole wheat toast.

For the other 4-5 meals I have 1/2 cup of 100% whole grain and 1/2 cup of either salad or green beans.

For these other meals, I have either 1/2 cup of high fiber cereal, or a piece of 100% whole wheat toast, or 1/2 cup of Mueller's reduced carb pasta, or 1/2 cup of whole grain brown rice. My wife makes great, low salt, low carb casseroles which I use in small quantities with the rice or the pasta.

I also use Pilaf, which contains seven whole grains, and which I can use on a salad, with the green beans, or instead of the pasta or the rice.

I have three servings of 1/4th apple per day, if I can. I also eat 1/4 cup of almonds, once or more, per day, as a snack, and...... absolutely no other snacking. I make sure that I eat the almonds at least an hour away from my meals.

For a drink (and you are not going to like this), I have a little key lime in ice water without any sweetener.

It is difficult to eat 5-6 times per day.
    Link to my 2005 thread Does an "Insulin Resistance" diet improve blood pressure?: https://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/242229-does-insulin-resistance-diet-improve-blood-pressure.html

Old 02-04-2019, 03:05 PM   #12
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'm only counting about 18 -20 grams plus the shredded cheese...I'm hypoglycemic and need way more protein than that to get thru the day

Reply Reply