It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Can Lisinopril stop working?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-23-2019, 06:43 PM   #1
    kevinla
    Veteran
    (male)

kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User
    Can Lisinopril stop working?

My mother has been on Lisinopril 20 mg for about 3 years.

It has been effective until the past few weeks.

We are going to call her doctor. I wanted to find out if anyone on this forum has experience with Lisinopril not working after time?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2019, 06:47 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Can Lisinopril stop working?

wwell it's not so much that it quits working but that her BP is escalating due to other factors. Changing dosage is pretty common. I'm on Lisinopril and had to go up a step after about 10 years on it.

Old 11-24-2019, 04:42 AM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Dosages need to be adjusted sometimes... definitely call the doctor- it may just be that she needs her dosage adjusted.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:50 AM   #4
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Hi kevinla!

Blood pressure normally varies throughout the day, with lower readings during the earlier part of the day, and then gradually increasing until nighttime. Of course there are many things that can influence the blood pressure, at any time, to change the normal patterns.

Blood pressure medications, like Lisinopril, lower the blood pressure an average of about 6-7 points.

How do you know that the Lisinopril stopped working? Does your mother take her blood pressure at the same time each day?

Regards, Bob

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:44 AM   #5
    kevinla
    Veteran
    (male)

kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
    How do you know that the Lisinopril stopped working? Does your mother take her blood pressure at the same time each day?

Regards, Bob
    Hi Bob:

She does. Usually it is ~140. The last few days it has been 160-180.

Old 11-24-2019, 11:30 AM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It could be any number of things. If it was around 140 before, it might should have already been adjusted. Mine hit 165 and I was put on another med that worked well and kept around 120. My insurance changed and they put me on an equal dosage of Lisinopril. My BP when down to 80 over 55! So they lowered the dosage and it was always around 115/65...which was fine. About 2 years ago I had several weeks of readings near 170 or more and resting heartrate of around 100. She raised the Lisinopril to the next dosage and everything has been back to normal since. I'd track her readings for a couple of weeks- email them to her doctor and see what they say.

Reply Reply