It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Why is my blood pressure so high?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-26-2020, 05:33 PM   #1
    jacobacro
    (male)

jacobacro HB User
    Why is my blood pressure so high?

I recently bought a Caretouch Model #PSW01. I originally thought I had low blood pressure because when I sit for a long time and then stand up I get dizzy. I hypothesized this was because my blood pressure was not high enough to stop blood from draining out of my brain through the effects of gravity. I was surprised to see that my blood pressure is actually high.

2020 March 26 166/109 61
    2020 March 22 142/80 68 7pm
    2020 March 9th 162/93 85
    2020 March 9th 163/108 62
    2020 March 21 159/101 62
    2020 March 22 159/104 73
    2020 March 23 169/101 47 before coffee and workout

I read about causes of high blood pressure. I drink alcohol but about 1 a day. I drink coffee but 1 or 2 cups per day. I am highly active, fit, not overweight. I get a lot of cardio. Every morning I do 20 minutes high intensity on an elliptical. My blood pressure should not be this high.

I have gone to the doctor dozens of time in my life and each time they check my blood pressure and no one has told me it was high blood pressure. Should I be worried?

Thanks for reading

-Jacob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2020, 07:21 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Why is my blood pressure so high?

Are you taking it correctly? Make sure you are sitting with your feet flat on the floor for a few minutes BEFORE taking the reading...

Stress can raise your bp- we are all alittle stressed at the moment. But you can also have high BP due to genetics- either of your parents? As we age, it sometimes increases...other medications we take can also raise our BP..

Then you also have to figure in for possible device issues- maybe it isnt calibrated correctly? I would take it to your doctors office and have them check your pressure with both devices just to make sure it is working perfectly.

Its not off the charts, but it is slightly elevated.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:27 PM   #3
    jacobacro
    (male)

jacobacro HB User

I am taking the reading with my legs down and after I have rested in a chair with the device at heart level. It might be uncalibrated. I need to find another one to check it against. Thank you for your reply.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:45 AM   #4
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jacobacro View Post
    My blood pressure should not be this high.

I have gone to the doctor dozens of time in my life and each time they check my blood pressure and no one has told me it was high blood pressure. Should I be worried?

-Jacob
    Hi Jacob!

In my case, I had chronically high blood pressure for many years. My health worsened as I got older, especially in my 50's.

I started taking my blood pressure several times a day to try to determine what was causing the high blood pressure. I've wound up taking and analyzing about 31,000 readings by date and hour, and learned quite a bit about my own unique blood pressure problems. I just sit down at my desk, put on the cuff, and take my blood pressure, just as quick and easy as that.

Blood pressure can vary quite a bit during the day. Blood pressure is usually lower during the early part of the day and gets higher during the day.

I had chronically high blood pressure 24 hours per day for many years. I was so frustrated at not knowing why, I started taking my blood pressure many times each day to look for clues. I wound up with about 31,000 readings between 1998 and 2011, and brought my blood pressure down to healthy levels, all the time.

So that my 31,000 readings don't go to waste, and thinking that others with chronically high blood pressure can benefit, I've prepared two charts from my bp data.

The first chart shows my healthy Diastolic BP range for 2010. The scale starts at the Diastolic level of 61, and the hours listed begin at 1am and run 24 hours until midnight.

The numbers represent hour 01 thru hour 24, or 1am thru 12am.

To read the following chart, the * represents the BP Diastolic reading. The average Diastolic reading at 1am was 71. At 2am the reading was 73. At 7pm (19) the Diastolic was 77.

The lowest hour's average, 63, was at 7am. The highest hour's average, 83, was at 5pm (17).

I just wanted to show how even healthy BP varied during the day, and it's easier to see the pattern thru a chart, no matter how primitive.

Notice that my blood pressure bottomed out around seven in the morning, one hour after taking my Coreg.

Hr ________70________80________90

01 __________*
    02 ____________*
    03 _______*
    04 __________*
    05 __________*
    06 _________*
    07 __*
    08 ____*
    09 ________*
    10 ________*
    11 __________*
    12 ____________*
    13 ____________*
    14 _________________*
    15 ________________*
    16 ___________________*
    17 ______________________*
    18 _______________*
    19 ________________*
    20 _____________*
    21 ____________*
    22 ____________*
    23 _________________*
    24 _______________*

Hr ________70________80________90

The next chart was created from my 1998 unhealthy blood pressure readings, the first year that I started taking my blood pressure at home. I was shocked that my blood pressure was that high, with unhealthy levels throughout the day and night. I didn't know what to do. It took years of frustration, anxiety and worsening health before I was finally able to get my blood pressure down to healthy levels.

My Cardiologist just kept saying that, with Heart Failure, it was normal to have higher blood pressure, and that it was OK to have the type of high blood pressure levels that I was having. What an incompetent jerk! I was extremely lucky to not suffer a stroke during the many years that my blood pressure was too high!

To read the following chart, the * represents the BP Diastolic reading. My average Diastolic reading during 1998, at 1am, was 104, at 6am 98, at 11am 88, at 4pm 99, at 10pm 103.

Note: All these blood pressures were taken while on three different blood pressure medications!

Hr ________70________80________90_______100 _______110

01 ________________________________________ ___*
    02 ________________________________*
    03 _________________________*
    04 _______________________________*
    05 ____________________________________*
    06 _____________________________________*
    07 ________________________________________ *
    08 ________________________________________ _*
    09 _______________________________________*
    10 ________________________________*
    11 ___________________________*
    12 ______________________________*
    13 ________________________________*
    14 __________________________________*
    15 ____________________________________*
    16 ______________________________________*
    17 _____________________________________*
    18 _____________________________________*
    19 ____________________________________*
    20 ______________________________________*
    21 ________________________________________ *
    22 ________________________________________ __*
    23 ________________________________________ *
    24 ________________________________________ ___*

Hr ________70________80________90_______100 _______110

You might be able to compare your bp levels during the day to the charts to determine if there are any similarities.

The major clue for my chronically high blood pressure was that I had insulin resistance and diabetes 2. I went on a very healthy, low calorie, low carb, frequent eating, balanced diet and voila! down came my blood pressure!

When I was first experiencing improvements to my blood pressure, back in 2005, I posted the following thread: Does an "Insulin Resistance" diet improve blood pressure?: https://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/242229-does-insulin-resistance-diet-improve-blood-pressure.html

Best of luck and health to you!

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:00 AM   #5
    jacobacro
    (male)

jacobacro HB User

Machaon

I read that normal blood pressure for someone my age (36) is 123/82. The graph you made puts your blood pressure is normal. How is your blood pressure high? My blood pressure is way higher than yours. Your highest diastolic was 110 and my highest was 169.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:59 AM   #6
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jacobacro View Post
    Your highest diastolic was 110 and my highest was 169.
    The diastolic is the bottom number. You had a reading on 2020 March 23 of 169/101, which was a systolic of 169 and a diastolic of 101. Your highest diastolic on 2020 March 26 was 109, where your reading was 166/109.

Here is another chart of my "average diastolic" blood pressures from 1998 through 2020 to show that chronically high blood pressure can be changed to healthy levels all of the time, mostly through a healthy diet!

Notice that my diastolic blood pressure averaged under 80 starting around 2007. I started experimenting on a healthy diet starting December 2004. For the past few years the only blood pressure medication that I am on is 6.25mg Coreg, once a day, mostly for my heart failure.

yr 60_______70________80________90_______10 0

1998 ____________________________________*
    1999 _______________________________*
    2000 _______________________________*
    2001 _______________________________*
    2002 __________________________________*
    2003 __________________________________*
    2004 ____________________________*
    2005 ________________________*
    2006 ________________*
    2007 ___________*
    2008 _________*
    2009 _________*
    2010 ________*
    2011 ________*
    2013 _____*
    2015 _*
    2016 ____*
    2017 _____*
    2018 ______*
    2019 _____*
    2020 ______*

Regards, Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:35 PM   #7
    jacobacro
    (male)

jacobacro HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
    The diastolic is the bottom number. You had a reading on 2020 March 23 of 169/101, which was a systolic of 169 and a diastolic of 101. Your highest diastolic on 2020 March 26 was 109, where your reading was 166/109.

Here is another chart of my "average diastolic" blood pressures from 1998 through 2009 to show that chronically high blood pressure can be changed to healthy levels all of the time, mostly through a healthy diet!

Notice that my diastolic blood pressure averaged under 80 starting around 2007. I started experimenting on a healthy diet starting December 2004.

1998 ____________________________________*
    1999 _______________________________*
    2000 _______________________________*
    2001 _______________________________*
    2002 __________________________________*
    2003 __________________________________*
    2004 ____________________________*
    2005 ________________________*
    2006 ________________*
    2007 ___________*
    2008 _________*
    2009 _________*

Regards, Bob

Wow your BP went down a lot. Did your weight change in those years? I think I will experiment with a more healthy diet.

Old 03-27-2020, 05:20 PM   #8
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hi Jacob!

Yes, by going on a balanced diet (Healthy low glycemic Carbs: 45-65%. Healthy Fats: 20-35%. Protein: 10-35%) of about 1500 calories per day, I went from 180 pounds to 130 pounds very fast! I also felt a lot better!

Reply Reply

Tags
    high blood pressure