It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Blood pressure swings. A big concern?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-04-2021, 01:38 PM   #1
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User
    Blood pressure swings. A big concern?

My Dad has been having some recent problems with blood pressure, and Iím hoping someone here could shed some light on it. That may be a tall order though because heís already been in the hospital after first going to Urgent Care after his blood pressure monitor at home was showing BP readings of up to 235/120, even though he had been on 2 different BP meds. The doctors never did give a reason why his blood pressure was so high. In the hospital, it went back down to 117/78. Now heís back home again, but tells me that his monitor is showing readings over 200/100 again, but then it goes back down to the 130s a short time later. The monitor itself is working ok. I know because Iíve used it and get consistent readings.

Another thing I could note is that he had been having pauses in his heartbeat that have lasted up to 6 seconds. The pauses were shorter in the past years, and was put on Eliquis for it. In the hospital Monday, they installed a pacemaker which has improved that condition. So Iím surprised that the blood pressure situation is continuing.

Any ideas about why his blood pressure keeps fluctuating so wildly? Is it something to be concerned about to the point of having him go to the hospital every time it gets real high?

The Following User Says Thank You to StayFit42 For This Useful Post:
    Southsider170 (03-05-2021)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2021, 08:31 PM   #2
    Southsider170
    (male)

Southsider170 HB UserSouthsider170 HB UserSouthsider170 HB UserSouthsider170 HB User
    Re: Blood pressure swings. A big concern?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by StayFit42 View Post

Any ideas about why his blood pressure keeps fluctuating so wildly? Is it something to be concerned about to the point of having him go to the hospital every time it gets real high?

Two things you can check here.

One, a lot of people have "white coat hypertension". It rises when they are in the presence of their doctor. Its a high-stress situation and that's all it takes.

Second, a fair number of people also have "orthostatic hypotension". Blood pressure can vary significantly from when they are standing and when they are lying down, getting lower when they stand.

One thing a doctor can do is to give pops a Holter Monitor. They stick it on your chest usually for a couple of days and they can get a 48 hour picture of his heart activity which can help with a diagnosis. Another idea would be for your father to get and use a bp monitor at home, see what his pressure looks like when not under pressure.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:56 AM   #3
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Southsider170 View Post
    Two things you can check here.

One, a lot of people have "white coat hypertension". It rises when they are in the presence of their doctor. Its a high-stress situation and that's all it takes.

Second, a fair number of people also have "orthostatic hypotension". Blood pressure can vary significantly from when they are standing and when they are lying down, getting lower when they stand.

One thing a doctor can do is to give pops a Holter Monitor. They stick it on your chest usually for a couple of days and they can get a 48 hour picture of his heart activity which can help with a diagnosis. Another idea would be for your father to get and use a bp monitor at home, see what his pressure looks like when not under pressure.
    Well, he's already done the 48 hour Holter monitor. The main thing it showed was that he had Atrial Flutter the entire time, even though ECGs in the past had shown it to come and go.

Also, he does have a BP monitor at home, which is how he discovered that his BP was astronomically high, and not a symptom of "white coat hypertension". In fact, it was actually at the hospital that it was gotten back down to normal, although I don't know exactly what they gave him to make that happen. But upon being back home now, his BP has gone back up to over 200, and then back down in the 140s a short time later. The main concern is about why it's happening and what he should do about it when his readings go over 200. I'm surprised the doctors couldn't answer that question when we asked them in the hospital.

Old 03-05-2021, 02:37 PM   #4
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by StayFit42
    ... his blood pressure monitor at home was showing BP readings of up to 235/120, even though he had been on 2 different BP meds.
    Hi StayFit42!

Blood pressure medications will lower Systolic blood pressure, on average, up to 7 points for each med. So, for two bp meds, one might get up to 14 points lower, on average, Systolic.

If I ever had a bp reading of 235/120 I would do anything that I could to get that unhealthy bp down to healthy levels! I cannot stress this enough!

I don't know if, what worked for me, will work for your father, but I lowered my blood pressure down to permanently healthy levels by going on a small meal, low calorie, low glycemic carb, 6 meals per day, 1500 calories diet; plenty of significant, appropriate exercise and avoiding toxins and unhealthy chemicals.

My health and my heart disease just keeps on improving. I am 76 but I have improved energy, strength, alertness and feel much younger.

I've taken my blood pressure almost 31,000 times since 1998. When I started taking it, I did not realize that my blood pressure reflected my overall health. I thought that the importance of blood pressure was the safety of the pressure inside my arteries, veins and organs. I did not realize that consistent high pressure in my arteries was not as important as the reasons for that pressure being consistently high.

Granted, blood pressure varies throughout the day (lower during the earlier daytime and increasing during the day and night). Blood pressure can surge temporarily at any time, due to stressful conditions, exercise, competition, etc. But if blood pressure stays at unhealthy, high levels most of the time, then there are definite causes that need to be corrected!

I learned, thru analyzing the patterns, notes and charts of my blood pressure readings, that "consistent" high pressure in one's arteries is caused deliberately, by one's own body, in an attempt to correct unhealthy conditions. Correct the reasons for the unhealthy conditions, and the blood pressure lowers to consistently healthy levels. In other words, blood pressure is merely a body gauge to inform the human about the healthy or unhealthy condition of the body! Hence, I have corrected almost ALL of the reasons for unhealthy conditions within my body; and my consistent blood pressure, blood sugar and my overall health just keeps getting better and better!

Just to share a little of what I've learned about my own bp, I've prepared two charts from my bp data.

The first chart shows my healthy Diastolic BP range for 2010. The scale starts at the Diastolic level of 61, and the hours listed begin at 1am and run 24 hours until midnight.

The numbers represent hour 01 thru hour 24, or 1am thru 12am.

To read the following chart, the * represents the BP Diastolic reading. The average Diastolic reading at 1am was 71. At 2am the reading was 73. At 7pm (19) the Diastolic was 77.

The lowest hour's average, 63, was at 7am. The highest hour's average, 83, was at 5pm (17).

I just wanted to show how even healthy BP varied during the day, and it's easier to see the pattern thru a chart, no matter how primitive.

Notice that my blood pressure bottomed out around seven in the morning, one hour after taking my Coreg.

Hr ________70________80________90

01 __________*
    02 ____________*
    03 _______*
    04 __________*
    05 __________*
    06 _________*
    07 __*
    08 ____*
    09 ________*
    10 ________*
    11 __________*
    12 ____________*
    13 ____________*
    14 _________________*
    15 ________________*
    16 ___________________*
    17 ______________________*
    18 _______________*
    19 ________________*
    20 _____________*
    21 ____________*
    22 ____________*
    23 _________________*
    24 _______________*

The next chart was created from my 1998 unhealthy blood pressure readings, the first year that I started taking my blood pressure at home. I was shocked that my blood pressure was that high, with unhealthy levels throughout the day and night. I didn't know what to do. It took years of frustration, anxiety and worsening health before I was finally able to get my blood pressure down to healthy levels.

My Cardiologist just kept saying that, with Heart Failure, it was normal to have higher blood pressure, and that it was OK to have the type of high blood pressure levels that I was having. What an incompetent jerk! I was extremely lucky to not suffer a stroke during the many years that my blood pressure was too high!

To read the following chart, the * represents the BP Diastolic reading. My average Diastolic reading during 1998, at 1am, was 104, at 6am 98, at 11am 88, at 4pm(16) 99, at 10pm(22) 103.

Note: All these blood pressures were taken while on three different blood pressure medications!

Hr ________70________80________90_______100 _______110

01 ________________________________________ ___*
    02 ________________________________*
    03 _________________________*
    04 _______________________________*
    05 ____________________________________*
    06 _____________________________________*
    07 ________________________________________ *
    08 ________________________________________ _*
    09 _______________________________________*
    10 ________________________________*
    11 ___________________________*
    12 ______________________________*
    13 ________________________________*
    14 __________________________________*
    15 ____________________________________*
    16 ______________________________________*
    17 _____________________________________*
    18 _____________________________________*
    19 ____________________________________*
    20 ______________________________________*
    21 ________________________________________ *
    22 ________________________________________ __*
    23 ________________________________________ *
    24 ________________________________________ ___*

You might be able to compare your father's bp levels during the day to my charts to determine if there are any similarities.

The major clue for my chronically high blood pressure was that I had insulin resistance and diabetes 2. I went on a very healthy, low calorie, low carb, frequent eating, balanced diet and voila! down came my blood pressure!

When I was first experiencing improvements to my blood pressure, back in 2005, I posted the following thread: Does an "Insulin Resistance" diet improve blood pressure?: https://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/242229-does-insulin-resistance-diet-improve-blood-pressure.html

Best of luck and health to you and your father!

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
    StayFit42 (03-06-2021)
    Old 03-06-2021, 11:34 AM   #5
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
    Hi StayFit42!

Blood pressure medications will lower Systolic blood pressure, on average, up to 7 points for each med. So, for two bp meds, one might get up to 14 points lower, on average, Systolic.

If I ever had a bp reading of 235/120 I would do anything that I could to get that unhealthy bp down to healthy levels! I cannot stress this enough!

I don't know if, what worked for me, will work for your father, but I lowered my blood pressure down to permanently healthy levels by going on a small meal, low calorie, low glycemic carb, 6 meals per day, 1500 calories diet; plenty of significant, appropriate exercise and avoiding toxins and unhealthy chemicals.

My health and my heart disease just keeps on improving. I am 76 but I have improved energy, strength, alertness and feel much younger.

I've taken my blood pressure almost 31,000 times since 1998. When I started taking it, I did not realize that my blood pressure reflected my overall health. I thought that the importance of blood pressure was the safety of the pressure inside my arteries, veins and organs. I did not realize that consistent high pressure in my arteries was not as important as the reasons for that pressure being consistently high.

Granted, blood pressure varies throughout the day (lower during the earlier daytime and increasing during the day and night). Blood pressure can surge temporarily at any time, due to stressful conditions, exercise, competition, etc. But if blood pressure stays at unhealthy, high levels most of the time, then there are definite causes that need to be corrected!

I learned, thru analyzing the patterns, notes and charts of my blood pressure readings, that "consistent" high pressure in one's arteries is caused deliberately, by one's own body, in an attempt to correct unhealthy conditions. Correct the reasons for the unhealthy conditions, and the blood pressure lowers to consistently healthy levels. In other words, blood pressure is merely a body gauge to inform the human about the healthy or unhealthy condition of the body! Hence, I have corrected almost ALL of the reasons for unhealthy conditions within my body; and my consistent blood pressure, blood sugar and my overall health just keeps getting better and better!

Just to share a little of what I've learned about my own bp, I've prepared two charts from my bp data.

The first chart shows my healthy Diastolic BP range for 2010. The scale starts at the Diastolic level of 61, and the hours listed begin at 1am and run 24 hours until midnight.

The numbers represent hour 01 thru hour 24, or 1am thru 12am.

To read the following chart, the * represents the BP Diastolic reading. The average Diastolic reading at 1am was 71. At 2am the reading was 73. At 7pm (19) the Diastolic was 77.

The lowest hour's average, 63, was at 7am. The highest hour's average, 83, was at 5pm (17).

I just wanted to show how even healthy BP varied during the day, and it's easier to see the pattern thru a chart, no matter how primitive.

Notice that my blood pressure bottomed out around seven in the morning, one hour after taking my Coreg.

01 __________*
    02 ____________*
    03 _______*
    04 __________*
    05 __________*
    06 _________*
    07 __*
    08 ____*
    09 ________*
    10 ________*
    11 __________*
    12 ____________*
    13 ____________*
    14 _________________*
    15 ________________*
    16 ___________________*
    17 ______________________*
    18 _______________*
    19 ________________*
    20 _____________*
    21 ____________*
    22 ____________*
    23 _________________*
    24 _______________*

The next chart was created from my 1998 unhealthy blood pressure readings, the first year that I started taking my blood pressure at home. I was shocked that my blood pressure was that high, with unhealthy levels throughout the day and night. I didn't know what to do. It took years of frustration, anxiety and worsening health before I was finally able to get my blood pressure down to healthy levels.

My Cardiologist just kept saying that, with Heart Failure, it was normal to have higher blood pressure, and that it was OK to have the type of high blood pressure levels that I was having. What an incompetent jerk! I was extremely lucky to not suffer a stroke during the many years that my blood pressure was too high!

To read the following chart, the * represents the BP Diastolic reading. My average Diastolic reading during 1998, at 1am, was 104, at 6am 98, at 11am 88, at 4pm(16) 99, at 10pm(22) 103.

Note: All these blood pressures were taken while on three different blood pressure medications!

01 ________________________________________ ___*
    02 ________________________________*
    03 _________________________*
    04 _______________________________*
    05 ____________________________________*
    06 _____________________________________*
    07 ________________________________________ *
    08 ________________________________________ _*
    09 _______________________________________*
    10 ________________________________*
    11 ___________________________*
    12 ______________________________*
    13 ________________________________*
    14 __________________________________*
    15 ____________________________________*
    16 ______________________________________*
    17 _____________________________________*
    18 _____________________________________*
    19 ____________________________________*
    20 ______________________________________*
    21 ________________________________________ *
    22 ________________________________________ __*
    23 ________________________________________ *
    24 ________________________________________ ___*

You might be able to compare your father's bp levels during the day to my charts to determine if there are any similarities.

The major clue for my chronically high blood pressure was that I had insulin resistance and diabetes 2. I went on a very healthy, low calorie, low carb, frequent eating, balanced diet and voila! down came my blood pressure!

When I was first experiencing improvements to my blood pressure, back in 2005, I posted the following thread: Does an "Insulin Resistance" diet improve blood pressure?: https://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/242229-does-insulin-resistance-diet-improve-blood-pressure.html

Best of luck and health to you and your father!
    Thanks for sharing your information! I think my Dad might start getting more serious about his diet now too. He's back in the hospital now after I had to take him there last night. He said his blood pressure was back up and not coming down. They're seeing what they can do for him. They put him on a medication that temporarily knocked his BP down to 74, which is scary low. Then it went back up closer to normal. We'll see what pans out later today.

The following user gives a hug of support to StayFit42:
    Machaon (03-06-2021)
    Old 03-09-2021, 10:51 AM   #6
    richh
    (male)

richh HB Userrichh HB User

Is it time-related?

I had a similar problem where my BP would be OK until late afternoon and then very quickly go up to numbers like your father had. About 1 AM, BP would start coming down and then the next day would be the same pattern.

No matter what meds, how many meds, or dosage, it made no difference.

I discovered 2 things:
    1. It was seasonal, happening primarily during Dec, Jan, and Feb. As daylight increased, the BP spikes got smaller and smaller and then stopped until the next winter.
    2. I could minimize the spikes in winter by eating an extremely low saturated fat diet (< 10 g/day).

Let me know if this is similar to what your father experienced and if it is, I can give you more information.

Reply Reply