It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Excersise and Beta Blocker Question...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-21-2003, 05:43 AM   #1
    gloriakaye

gloriakaye HB User
    Excersise and Beta Blocker Question...

I have been put on metoprolol 50 mg half pill twice daily (generic for propanol?) for fast hear beat and high blood pressure. I am planning on starting an excersise routine but am worried I won't get any effects from it since I know heart rate cannot increase. What should I ask for instead that does the same thing as the beta blocker but allows one to have some metabolism?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2003, 12:07 PM   #2
    zuzu8
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
    Re: Excersise and Beta Blocker Question...

Hi gloriakaye- Don't worry too much yet. Everybody's metabolism is affected differently by beta blockers. You are right that they may blunt your body's response to exercise by keeping the heart rate from increasing to a very high level. In that sense, you may burn less calories from exercise because you are unable to exercise quite as vigorously.

If you start your exercise regime and see no beneficial results, the way around this is to exercise for a longer duration of time.

zuzu xx

Old 11-22-2003, 04:45 AM   #3
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

Gloria,

Take it one step at a time. First let's see if you can DO any decent excercising.
    On large scale beta blockade all I'm good for is watching TV and gaining weight.

About all I can bear and still work out is 40 mg propranolol (very fast acting) at least 4 hours before a workout, more like beta-blockade LITE!:*

With 40 mg. nadolol (very long acting) I might just as well be put on a ventilator!

I too have often worried about an aerobic workout when I can't "get it up" but I excercise more for muscle tone and size and THAT, at least, is independent of heartrate.

Old 11-24-2003, 03:35 AM   #4
    wr6969

wr6969 HB User

I have to admit that when I was put on beta blockers (propranolol), my heart rate was definitely below my "usual" heart rate before being put on the beta blocker. I'd estimate it was about 10-15% lower, which meant that even on the treadmill, I was not strictly speaking exercising in the "cardio" benefit range in terms of heart rate. Once I went off the beta blocker, my exercise heart rate went up along with my resting heart rate. Be careful coming off beta blockers - some people don't tolerate it well, especially if you quit cold turkey (read elsewhere in this forum about my adventures :-)).

The only thing I remember about beta blockers and exercise from my research is that once taken, it can mask the fact that you are overworking your heart if you already have heart disease, in the sense that it won't cause you chest pains when you work out. This is because the load on the heart is less (it's now beating slowly). In an otherwise healthy individual, I have not read anywhere that it poses problems to health, but again, you would need to guess what your heart rate with beta blockers is to the equivalent "heart rate without beta blockers" - more of an art than a science, as you can see! But, if you've never measured your heart rate while exercising when you weren't on beta blockers, you won't have a benchmark to compare against...

The best person to advise you would be your doctor or cardiologist...

Closed Thread