It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Clonidine causes insomnia?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-07-2003, 12:09 PM   #1
    Katztrou
    Inactive
    (male)

Katztrou HB UserKatztrou HB User
    Question Clonidine causes insomnia?

Does CLonidine cause insomnia?
    I have been on Norvasic 10mg for couple years now but my BP has gone back up to around 155/90. My Dr decided to add Clonidine 0.2mg 2x/day. The drug reduce my Bp back to around 120/75. However, few days after I started the Clonidine, I found out I can sleep anymore. I mentioned this side-effect to my Dr but he said Clonidine can't cause insomnia. He said this durg actually should put you to sleep.

Does anyone here had sleeping problem while on Clonidine?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2003, 03:18 PM   #2
    html
    (male)

html HB User
    Re: Clonidine causes insomnia?

Clonidine can do both. It can make you sleepy, but when that side effect wears off (usually about 3-4 hours), it can make sleep more difficult. You might see what happens if you adjust the time that you take the second dose. But, I wouldn't vary it more than a couple of hours from the time the doc told you to take it, without first checking with him.

Old 12-14-2003, 10:48 AM   #3
    Katztrou
    Inactive
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by html
    Clonidine can do both. It can make you sleepy, but when that side effect wears off (usually about 3-4 hours), it can make sleep more difficult. You might see what happens if you adjust the time that you take the second dose. But, I wouldn't vary it more than a couple of hours from the time the doc told you to take it, without first checking with him.
    I did tried to vary the second dose but did not make any difference. If I did managed to fall into sleep very very late but I than woke up with very realist dream.

This drug do wonder on lowering my BP, but because of insomnia and other side effects, I have to ask my Dr to change drug on my next visit.

Old 01-04-2004, 08:08 AM   #4
    stewie33
    (female)

stewie33 HB User

I am on clonidine and several other meds for pressure. When i started taking the clonidine, I had the pill form of it and I felt as if I literally could not move. Went to another Doc and he gave me a clonidine patch. This improved my sleepiness by providing a steady stream of the medication as opposed to a big hit all at once.

Old 01-04-2004, 11:03 AM   #5
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

A hint:

I get insomnia from the Norvasc....Kato, maybe the interaction between the two is making the Norvasc affect you that way.

I was thinking of trying Clonidine because most people complain of sleepiness (to me a VERY POSITIVE side effect)....but I gues I won't try it with Norvasc (which I hate beyond words!)

Old 01-04-2004, 11:05 AM   #6
    zuzu8
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Kato-
    Even though the WORD "insomnia" per se is listed as a "rare" side effect, nevertheless it's listed.
    What's also interesting is that the following are more common side effects
    such as: agitation (which can lead to insomnia), nervousness (equals insomnia in my book!), Heartbeat changes and irregularities (more insomnia maybe?!), pounding heart, "vague bodily discomfort" ( sounds like a sure-fire cause of insomnia to me!) anxiety (insomnia), depression (insomnia), leg cramps, muscle pain, joint pain etc etc....all leading causes of INSOMNIA.

Tell your doctor it would be nice if he read some of the pharmaceutical monographs once in a while.

zuzu xx

Old 01-05-2004, 07:48 PM   #7
    Katztrou
    Inactive
    (male)

I guess each one has different reaction to BP drug. I have been on Norvasc 10 mg for about 2 years now and I don't have any problem with it other than it is not controlling my BP too well lately.

Update on Clonidine: My insomnia problem seem to disappear about 2 weeks ago. I can sleep most of the nights during the week. Maybe my body is getting use to the drug?

Old 02-16-2004, 11:12 AM   #8
    Katztrou
    Inactive
    (male)

Is it possible for Clonidine to lost its effectiveness over time? The Dr started with 0.1mg 2x per day back in November 2003. The drug work well for about a month, it kept the bp around 120s/70s. After a month, it seems to lost its effectiveness. The Dr doubled it to 0.2mg 2x per day, it kept the bp down again around 120s/70s. Then I noticed my bp started to creeped up about 3 weeks ago. Now my bp is back to 140s/70s. It appears the bottom number is still under control but the top one is going up.

With all the side effect on Clonidine, I definitely don't want to go for 0.3mg 2x per day. Time to ask for medication change.

Old 02-16-2004, 01:05 PM   #9
    Katztrou
    Inactive
    (male)

I am not taking anything with Clonidine at night. I don't have too much of dream problem now. This biggest problems I have with 0.2mg are serve constipation and chill all over. Oh, I also put me a zombia-like state for few hours.

Old 03-04-2004, 06:05 PM   #10
    Katztrou
    Inactive
    (male)

Question Re: Clonidine (Updated)

After complaining the side effects I have been having with Clonidine, the Dr changed he clonidine to Benicar 20mg plus keeping the norvasc 10mg. The Dr told me wean off the Clonidine by taking 0.1mg 1x every other day for 2 weeks. This is my fifth days on the Benicar and it appears not working at all. Here are my average BP reading:
    - 150s/80s P80s - Norvasic 10mg only
    - 120s/60s P60s - Norvasc 10mg + Clonidine 0.1mg 2x/day. Great BP control, buy can't stay due to side effect.
    - 160s/80s P90s - Norvasc 10mg + Benicar 20mg. No side effect.

It appears my BP is actually a bit higher on Benicar, is this possible? I noticed my heartrate is higher too. Can this higher BP due to Clonidine withdraw (rebound high bllodd pressure)?

Closed Thread