It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Is anyone happy with lisinopril?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2004, 10:00 AM   #1
    hiramtraveler

hiramtraveler HB User
    Is anyone happy with lisinopril?

Hi, have not yet started this drug (been prescribed) but have read a lot of threads indicating people have problems with it. Is anyone taking it and not getting a lot of side effects? I understand that some of those folks might not be on the boards (may not be here if you are comfortable with your treatment). If you have had problems with it, what alternative med was the most beneficial to you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2004, 12:50 PM   #2
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User
    Re: Is anyone happy with lisinopril?

I've not taken lisinopril, but I have taken a sister drug, enalapril (Vasotec).

Basically the ACE inhibitors are good blood pressure drugs with only one major side effect, but it can be a dilly: Incessant COUGH. Those that get the "ACE cough" don't continue for long on the class of drugs...it disturbs sleep and really begins to wear the user down within a month or two.

Often the next in the "journey" is one of the ARB's (angiotensin receptor blockers...like Cozaar, Hyzaar or Diovan); more expensive and somewhat less effect on BP but almost side-effect free.

You'll have to try the lisinopril and decide for yourself. You may be one of the lucky non-coughers....good luck (I wish I could take one of them but for me the coughing was day and night...and I tried REALLY hard to bear it.)

Old 01-30-2004, 12:56 AM   #3
    sunnybear1962
    (female)

sunnybear1962 HB User
    Exclamation Re: Is anyone happy with lisinopril?

i have been on the lisinopril for 5 years now and cough 24/7. should i ask for another med? the coughing is very annoying.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zip2play
    I've not taken lisinopril, but I have taken a sister drug, enalapril (Vasotec).

Basically the ACE inhibitors are good blood pressure drugs with only one major side effect, but it can be a dilly: Incessant COUGH. Those that get the "ACE cough" don't continue for long on the class of drugs...it disturbs sleep and really begins to wear the user down within a month or two.

Often the next in the "journey" is one of the ARB's (angiotensin receptor blockers...like Cozaar, Hyzaar or Diovan); more expensive and somewhat less effect on BP but almost side-effect free.

You'll have to try the lisinopril and decide for yourself. You may be one of the lucky non-coughers....good luck (I wish I could take one of them but for me the coughing was day and night...and I tried REALLY hard to bear it.)

Old 01-30-2004, 04:18 AM   #4
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

sunnybear,

You will have to make that decision for yourself. Remember, the next 2 steps up are (ARB's and Calcium Channel Blockers) pricier and don't control as well.
    Some people are stepping back to the diuretics and getting good results.

I don't know how you stood 5 years of coughing...the thought of it makes me want to...well...COUGH!<hack-hack>

For me there was no choice- I just COULDN'T continue the Vasotec (enalapril.)

Old 02-01-2004, 02:02 PM   #5
    Rsipe1

Rsipe1 HB User
    Wink Re: Is anyone happy with lisinopril?

I have been on lisinopril for about 9 months now. All be it a pretty low dose. 10 mg once a day. That along with antenolol (sp?). I have had no problems once so ever. No coughing or sexual side affects. And between the two medications my blood pressure is fine. I guess I am a lucky one.

Old 02-01-2004, 02:23 PM   #6
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rsipe1
    I have been on lisinopril for about 9 months now. All be it a pretty low dose. 10 mg once a day. That along with antenolol (sp?). I have had no problems once so ever. No coughing or sexual side affects. And between the two medications my blood pressure is fine. I guess I am a lucky one.

I've tried lisinopril twice. In 1998 I was on lisinopril and have real bad muscle weaking and terrible cough. I came off it and started Avapro, but Avapro didn't work as well. I am now on lisinopril and do not have any side effects other than an occasional cold like symptom. My bp was 197/106, it is now 145/70. Of course, I also take hctz (direutic) and verapamil. Not to mention high fiber low fat diet and salt restriction.

Old 02-02-2004, 08:56 AM   #7
    sunbird_owner
    (male)

sunbird_owner HB User

I was on Accupril an ACE. It was not nearly as effective as Benicar an ARB. The ACE will slow you down if you are an athlete. The ACE cough may or may not show up.

Last edited by sunbird_owner; 02-02-2004 at 08:56 AM.

Old 02-02-2004, 10:02 AM   #8
    Gatormom

Gatormom HB User

Hi, I take Lisinopril 40 mg. along with HCTZ - have taken them over 3 years - with no side effects at all. They work great for me! I'm another lucky one :-)

Old 05-06-2004, 06:22 PM   #9
    wayover20
    (female)

wayover20 HB User

I had been on 10mg of Lisinopril/HCTZ 12.5mg for 6 months and didn't realize the joint aches, thinning hair, annoying cough/throat clearing, were all because of this drug. I stopped it and within 3 days I was pain free, my hair was starting to shine again, and that darned cough was gone. I have started taking Norvasc and hope it will work without any awful side effects.

Old 05-06-2004, 09:17 PM   #10
    fanofopera
    (female)

fanofopera HB User

Wow I'm on lisinopril and didn't realize a lot of my side effects were from this. I cough but not to much mainly at night which then I can't sleep. But I have noticed when I go for a walk my normal routine walk my kegs start hurting like I haven't used my muscles in awhile, sometimes they feel really heavy. Is this from the medication? I'm on 5mg a day and maxzise but can't recall the dose at the moment I think it is the lowest one.

Old 05-07-2004, 10:41 AM   #11
    en08
    (female)

en08 HB User

I suffered from muscle weakness on lsinopril. My arms became tired after i length of the simming pool although I had managed 32 lengths with no problem a few weeks previously.My legs were all rightas i exercised the dog up and down hills every day. Upper body exercises brought me back to normal.

Good luck

En

Closed Thread