It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Tachycardia and Weaning off Beta Blockers

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2004, 05:42 AM   #1
    jahee

jahee HB User
    Tachycardia and Weaning off Beta Blockers

Hi,
    It's been four days and no Corgard, no drugs at all actually, my bp has been normal to high normal.

I've had episodes of tachycardia, pulse around the 90's, especially in the morning. Is this typical? How long will this last? I don't know if it's an underlying heart problem or if it's my body adjusting to life without these drugs.

Janet

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2004, 03:30 PM   #2
    Buying Time
    (female)

Buying Time HB User
    Re: Tachycardia and Weaning off Beta Blockers

Janet,

I weaned off Atenolol (25mg once a day for over two years), and have been completely off for over three months. I had to wean off it very, very slowly due to huge adrenalin surges over every little stimulus and severe chest pains. During the weaning period, my readings could be very erratic for a month or so. Now I'm averaging 119/75, and never get high readings though I sometimes get some very low ones. Stopping beta blockers cold turkey can be fatal, so be careful and follow your doctor's or pharmacist's instructions. I also found it helpful to keep a log so that I could watch my progress. Might I ask, why did you decide to discontinue your medication? Good luck to you.

Last edited by Buying Time; 04-08-2004 at 06:30 PM.

Old 04-09-2004, 05:23 AM   #3
    jahee

jahee HB User

Hi,

I decided to wean off of Beta Blockers because I was having asthma-like symptoms, a lot of coughing (mostly at night and in the morning) and shortness of breath. The respiratory symptoms improved after I stopped the Beta Blocker. I took half-dose for 5 days and 1/4 for two days.

Old 04-12-2004, 08:39 AM   #4
    wr6969

wr6969 HB User

I'm not entirely convinced that a pulse rate in the 90s should be considered tachycardia. Yes, granted it's on the higher end of the range of a "normal" person's pulse rate, but still, it is *within* the range. If you do some research on the Net, tachycardia is normally defined as a sustained heart rate of above 100 bpm.

You're probably experiencing a phenomenon called "rebound tachycardia" which occurs in some people upon withdrawal of a beta blocker. How long this lasts depends on the individual - apparently the more active you are, the shorter the period of "recovery". Some people run miles everyday to get back to their previous pulse rate range (of course I'm not recommending you do this without the concurrence of your doctor!).

Do you have an idea what your "normal" pulse range was before you went on the beta blockers? How long were you on them? Generally the longer you've been on drugs, the longer they'll take to wear off, or for your body to wash these drugs out of your system.

Closed Thread