It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• bp medications side effects increase over time?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2004, 09:16 AM   #1
    lilleth
    Inactive

lilleth HB User
    bp medications side effects increase over time?

This has probably been addressed, but a search does not reveal what I am seeking, so please excuse if this is a duplicate:

I wonder if BP meds can increase side effects over time. I don't think I felt so bad when I started CArdizem, but last 6-12 mos I have been SO tired. Then when I increased from 120 mg to 180, I was wiped out, had headache, and stomachache. Then my doc suggested I stop using it, and when I stopped taking it, that stomachache continued intermitently (crampy but not upset) for about 10-14 days. THen it was gone. Very odd. I really think it was the medicine and not an illness.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2004, 07:50 AM   #2
    en08
    (female)

en08 HB User
    Re: bp medications side effects increase over time?

The side effects lasted after I finished the medication. After stopping nifedipine the swelling in my ankles continued to get get worse and it was at least 3 weeks before they were back to normal. The constipation lasted a few months and it is only now, about 10 weeks after stopping the tablets that I am starting to sleep as I used to before medication. The doctor would say that it was because of my age as she doesn't believe in side effects!

En

Last edited by en08; 04-10-2004 at 07:51 AM.

Old 04-10-2004, 10:11 AM   #3
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User
    Re: bp medications side effects increase over time?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilleth
    This has probably been addressed, but a search does not reveal what I am seeking, so please excuse if this is a duplicate:

I wonder if BP meds can increase side effects over time. I don't think I felt so bad when I started CArdizem, but last 6-12 mos I have been SO tired. Then when I increased from 120 mg to 180, I was wiped out, had headache, and stomachache. Then my doc suggested I stop using it, and when I stopped taking it, that stomachache continued intermitently (crampy but not upset) for about 10-14 days. THen it was gone. Very odd. I really think it was the medicine and not an illness.
    You know your body more than any dr. They know the side effects of these meds, but they fear an onslaught of lawsuits. I just came in from a dr appt due to side effects of zestoreric(lisinopril/hctz combo), and after 7 years on this med I finally got a dr to agree that the side effects were from the meds not a true illness. Good luck to you.

Old 04-10-2004, 05:13 PM   #4
    lilleth
    Inactive

lilleth HB User
    Wink Re: bp medications side effects increase over time?

Well, I've been off the cardizem several weeks and feel like a new person. Wow.

Closed Thread