It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Extremely low blood pressure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-15-2004, 04:38 PM   #1
    michelle1970
    (female)

michelle1970 HB User
    Extremely low blood pressure

Hello. I went to the Dr. yesterday because I have been feeling nauseated and tired. My blood pressure was 68/48 . I know that is way too low for anyone. I am a 33 year old female with no other health problems that I know of. Since I had had diarreah for the past week, he thinks that I could be dehydrated. Also I am waiting for the results of some blood tests to come back. My potassium might be low as well. I was wondering if anyone else here has ever had a reading that low. Thank you for reading this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2004, 08:25 PM   #2
    kimma5202

kimma5202 HB User
    Re: Extremely low blood pressure

wow thats very low...my lowest taken at the docs office was 88/56 and im miserable, i cant imagine how you must feel...eat lots of salt and drink lots of water!! it helps good luck
    kim

Old 04-16-2004, 04:00 AM   #3
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

michelle,

Readings that low are occasionally common to beta-blocker ans calcium channel blockers, but not to anyone without medication (or SEVERE bleeding).
    My guess is the same as your doctor's; dehydration from the diarrhea. Water and juice yourself back up.
    A CBC (complete blood count) might be a good idea to check on any secretive bleeding.

Last edited by zip2play; 04-16-2004 at 04:01 AM.

Old 04-16-2004, 07:51 AM   #4
    michelle1970
    (female)

michelle1970 HB User

Actually, I did get a CBC done and everything came out normal. I am still awaiting the results of the other blood tests which include potassium and blood sugar levels. Also I forgot to mention that on occassion I do faint and I never understood why. Now I think I know.

Old 04-16-2004, 10:09 AM   #5
    worryworttx

worryworttx HB User

That is extremely low...I can't believe that the doctor did not keep you there before knowing the cause. I hope everything turns out o.k. for you...keep us posted.
    bec

Old 04-16-2004, 11:07 AM   #6
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

michelle,

Though I'm loathe to ever say this but perhaps you are the singular person on the planet that needs MORE salt.....AAAAUUUUUUGGGGHHHH!

Old 04-23-2004, 09:15 AM   #7
    Cushie

Cushie HB User

I have low blood pressure too (a good range for me is 70/50 but I've gone down to 30/21 while hospitalized) and I currently take medication to keep the bp up. You mentioned diarrhea - any chance you could have Addison's? Are you losing weight? Skin turning brown? Fatigue? Some things your doc can try : Proamatine, those lovely stockings (they push the bp to where it needs to be), florinef.

Old 04-23-2004, 01:36 PM   #8
    worryworttx

worryworttx HB User

Cushie,
    I thought that I had low blood pressure...why is your blood pressure sooo low? Any underlying illness or anything like that? Also what are your symptoms?

Old 04-28-2004, 12:32 PM   #9
    maggie39

maggie39 HB User

Hi! Look up "neurocardiogenic syncope" on the web, you'll find all sorts of info. That's awfully low - mine's been that low, but only when I'm actually passing out (fainting).
    I've been able to keep my fainting spells pretty much under control by increasing the amount of salt, and especially water in my diet (this increases your blood volume).
    Maggie

Closed Thread