It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• has anyone ever heard of lowering severe hypertension naturally?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-05-2004, 10:58 PM   #1
    jenni7729

jenni7729 HB User
    has anyone ever heard of lowering severe hypertension naturally?

I was diagnosed with severe hypertension two years ago. I am a fairly young white female, and my doctor says that I do not fit the profile for this kind of hypertension. I have wondered and wondered if something I did could have caused this although he says no. I have been taking Norvasc, atenolol and lotensin hct for two years now. I hate taking all of this medicine, and worrying about it all the time. my blood pressure at my initial doctor visit was 260/120...dr got it under control immediately with some kind of sedation. ?? I think it was colonopin..or something like that. I desperately would like to control my blood pressure in some other way. I know this is dangerous...and I know that I cant stop taking these meds unless I could successfully lower it. I recently read in a natural remedy book written by a doctor and dietician, that calcium and magnesium deficiency may be cause high blood pressure. I would like to talk to others who have severe hypertension..and see what we could have in common. Im new here...hope to get some good feedback.
    Jennifer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2004, 05:20 AM   #2
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User
    Re: has anyone ever heard of lowering severe hypertension naturally?

jenni,

First order of business is that you MUST get a log of readings at home over a one or two month time period. Buy a BP tester.
    If the 260/120 was anything besides white-coat hypertension, you need a good cardiological workup....that's a really dangerous level (stroke.)
    BUT, it's probably MUCH lower at home.

So what kind of numbers do you get taking the entire BP med arsenal (calcium channel blocker, beta blocker, ACE inhibitor, and diuretic.)
    I'm sure you have a raft of side-effects from this medicine chest full of drugs!

Yes, you can drop BP naturally significantly:
    1. Keep Weight LOW
    2. Keep Booze LOW
    3. Keep Salt LOW

Old 05-06-2004, 05:53 AM   #3
    jenni7729

jenni7729 HB User

Thanks for the advice. Here is what I have done in the past two years. I have a BP tester, and at first when I got on the meds, my doctor had me test it 10 times a day or so. for about a month, he monitored my condition and added more and more meds. He did the cardiological workup...saying that it couldnt be just high blood pressure, something HAD to be causing it. I was tested for adrenal gland problems and renal artery problems, and anything that doctors know can cause these problems. I was examined by two doctors in the office, which made me feel like an oddity..and scared too. Strangely, I felt ok...they kept asking me if I felt bad. However after I took the meds, I noticed I did feel much better. With the meds, my BP stabilizes around 120/68
    sometimes a little higher..and sometimes a little lower.

Here are my concerns. I wonder if it is an allergy of some kind? I have other allergies. I wonder if it is a deficiency? I KNOW that lifesyle choices make a difference, but my doctor told me that I could not have done anything to raise my BP that drastically. I do not drink alchohol. I excersize, and eat very well. Rarely junk food, no sugar, not much fat, mostly vegetarian diet, sometimes chicken or fish. Lots of veggies and fruits and grains. I do eat salt. I do drink coffee, about 3-6 cups a day. I smoke. I have tried to stop smoking over and over and still continue to try and stop. Smoking I think is the worst problem, but my doctor says that even if I quit smoking, I will never be able to stop taking all this medicine. that is very discouraging.

Not only am I taking all these medicines, its high doses of them too...10mg of Norvasc, 2 50 mg atenolol..and 20/25 lotensin HCT. I noticed that most people dont take such high doses...in reading posts. The side effects were much worse in the beginning, I guess I just dont notice them much now. My hair is thinning some..and I never thought it might be my meds..but I read here it may be. I just want to get off the meds!! I know my doctor will probably not encourage me to try other things, and I also know that I cannot quit taking the meds until I have found something that will control it. WHEW...a lot said....but maybe there are others out there like me????? I hope.

Old 05-07-2004, 02:37 PM   #4
    crabbyroad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

crabbyroad HB User

Jenni,

Just curious since you mentioned Klonopin, do you have panic attacks? I had a bout of high BP at age 28, didnt fit the profile either. I was on meds for 3yrs, and weaned off, be careful not to abruptly stop your meds at all regardless if you feel your BP is ok, it must be done under a doctor's supervision, especially with the atenolol. Im 41 now, and it reared its head again with elevated BP readings 2 months ago. One of the reasons my doctor has me on atenolol, because during my attacks, I have a very fast heart rate, or even nervous, it feels its beating out of my chest.

Old 05-08-2004, 06:47 AM   #5
    jenni7729

jenni7729 HB User

Yes, I have had panic attacks. when I was very young even, I had anxiety attacks and visits to the dr had high blood pressure readings, but I guess they just wrote that off as whitecoat syndrome, because no doctor ever said you need to be treated until 2 years ago. I have a lot of anxiety about doctor visits and getting my blood pressure taken. The day when they put me on the meds it was outrageous, but the more they talked about it, the more anxiety I got and the more they put the cuff on, the same. And yes, my pulse before meds was extemely fast. Now its normal. A question for you..did you have severe HBP? (that goes for both times?) I have noticed that several people on these boards have mentioned urinating frequently, and have been checked for kidney problems but none. Maybe its an effect of HBP, or maybe somehow linked? I unrinate often and have reoccurring bladder and urinary tract infections. Do you have any problems like that?

Old 05-08-2004, 07:09 AM   #6
    jenni7729

jenni7729 HB User

I was thinking, and I have another question. You said that you weaned off your meds. How do you know that its safe to do that? Lets just say I was doing something that seemed to be beneficial naturally? How would I even know? Would my blood pressure get even lower? Would that be dangerous?

BTW I am getting more and more convinced that most disease is caused by allergy or deficiency. Food allergies are very complex and very hard to discover. I am just of the that doctors (not all of course, but most) just give you some meds to treat the symptoms and dont care what really causes it. You have to be responsible for your own body and try to discover such things.

Old 05-08-2004, 06:05 PM   #7
    crabbyroad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

crabbyroad HB User

Yes on my first attack (visit day after to doctor) I had high BP, 180/105, also a note, during and after a panic attack, especially if you get the shortness of breath (the hyperventilation syndrome) your BP will be elevated for at least 24 hours, while the CO2 levels adjust again. I was put on medication for BP because I obessessed over my heart, the attacks, everytime I went to the doctors office my heart was racing, I was on edge, and my BP was high. After 3 yrs, my attacks were much milder, and I had done the whole blood workup, holter, cardiologist routine. So my doctor noticed it was dropping some, so he s-l-o-w-l-y tapered me off my medicine, I had to continually go to him every week while doing this, but by this time, I wasnt in a panic mode and the white coat hypertension was gone, it took approximately six months for me, with 2 one month visits after being off of it to check. I still had my monitor at home (in case), and from age 31 to 41, my BP was fine. The highest I did get was 210/120 and they immediately gave me some liquid to swallow to bring it down. Until my visit two months ago, when the anxiety hit, Im back in the white coat hypertension stage. Put on a cuff and my points are generally up 30 points. Give me 15 mins, and it drops a great deal. Even happens to me at home sometimes, my next visit, Im taking my monitor to measure with his, plus, I going to take mine a few times while I wait in the room hoping to get the excitement out of myself.

If your wanting to go more of a natural route, ask your doctor to try weaning off on one medicine very slowly, if your readings are staying within range, you can then work on the rest. Wait at least half hour from smoking to take your BP, it raises it too.

Crabby

Old 05-21-2004, 11:54 PM   #8
    alphamale9009

alphamale9009 HB User

Wow, blood pressure that high for someone fairly young is insane. First off, review any medications or supplements you have taken prior to that blood pressure reading, you may have a lawsuit to file.

Second, i caution you against reading psuedo science books, from what you have said, it sounds like you have a good doctor who did everything he should have done. The only thing I might add is to make sure the diabetes test you got was a glucose tolerance test and not a fasting blood glucose test because the latter cannot detect drastic fluctuations in blood sugar that for young people indicate a diabetic condition, but returns back to normal because of a fast acting metabolism.

Those were disclaimers, now to your question. I once got my blood pressure to normal naturally eating a low carb diet, following the Atkins regimen. I advise you to be very safe and scientific if you want to experiment with this and check with your doctor.
    Light exercise of course is also recommended. If your blood pressure is consistently as high as you say, do not do heavy exercise, it will cause organ damage, and do not weight train unless your blood pressure is completely under control.

hope this helps,
    alpha

Old 06-09-2004, 11:21 AM   #9
    Pat800

Pat800 HB User

OK, well that blood pressure is exactly like the one I had when I discovered
    that I had hypertension. My doctor called it essential hypertension and
    perscribed vasotec, ternormin, and hydrochlorizide. This worked fine for quite a while with minimum side effects. Hypertension like this can hurt the kidneys --------so my next stop was at the nephrologist to check the kidneys out. I was diagnosed as having PKD which is inherited and almost always causes hypertension........WOW!
    I think the important thing is to get the BP down then find the cause if it can be identified. Sounds like your doctor has done a good job of lowering the BP.
    pat800

Last edited by Pat800; 06-09-2004 at 11:24 AM. Reason: spelling

Closed Thread