It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• anxiety and high bp

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-24-2004, 04:43 PM   #1
    juju911
    (male)

juju911 HB User
    anxiety and high bp

Hi, I am a 20 year old male who has been having high bp readings lately. They have been fluctating a lot. Once I went to the doctor and got a bp reading of 170/100 and then 5 minutes later got a reading of 140/90. The last time I went to the doc my bp was 160/90. I don't know how My bp can be so high because Im not overweight and Im in great physical condition. I play college basketball. I am costantly training and working out. My bp has only been a problem in the last 7 months or so. I also have been sufering from anxiety for about 7 months to. I am currently trying to get that under control to. But this bp problem and anxiety have been driving me insane. I have a history of high bp in my family but dont know why at such a young age I have high blood pressure. I had a team physical done six months ago and my bp was 124/82. I am really concerned because all I think about is having a stroke or heart attack. I had many test done on my heart one time when I went to the emegency room for chest pains(turned out to be acid reflux) and they all came back excellent. Sometimes I feel like my heart is pounding really hard and I also feel my pulse in my head sometimes. Never had any problem like this until these past few months. I dont want to take any medication. Please any advice would help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2004, 07:23 PM   #2
    CASSIEBEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CASSIEBEL HB User
    Re: anxiety and high bp

Anxity can cause HBP and HBP causes anxity. I have the same problem as you. I was just a little older than you when diagnosed, I also have hypertension in family. I lived in fear (still do to a certain extent) with the pounding heart and so on. The meds can help. I understand that you don't want to start meds at such a young age but it may be necessary to control both problems. Do you take anything for the acid reflux?
    Why exactly are you so against BP meds - they're not all bad
    Best of Luck!
    Cassiebel

Old 05-25-2004, 04:39 AM   #3
    crabbyroad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

crabbyroad HB User

Or Juju you could have white coat hypertension, just being in the doctors office can cause anxiety and raise your BP. Try getting a good moniter and taking some readings at home, while rested and relaxed, not after a brisk workout, toss out the first reading, it will be higher, wait 3 mins and take another, and again, average those last two readings. If it is normal at home in a relaxed state, then its not officially high blood pressure, your only getting spikes at the doctors office, the fact that your BP drops while at the office after the first, is leading towards the anxiety of it. If however at home, your continually getting the readings you are at the doctors, then it is time to explore other options, ie meds, etc.

Old 05-25-2004, 07:45 AM   #4
    Random2
    Inactive

Random2 HB User

Toprol made me feel like junk for months (cold, gastrointentestinal upset, tired++++) Anxiety

Altace... the absolute worst

Altenolol- Not many side-effects, except for bad dreams & some stomach upset at times) Mood changes

Lotrel- Controls B/P well, but is a little over the edge for white-coat imo.

This is why. My B/P averages around 119/65-70 on the meds. 158/80 at the doc. I have isolated white-coat. They don't have b/p meds. for that.

I was 135/75 or so at 24. At 33, I wonder what it would be with no meds., but I follow the docs. orders.

Old 05-25-2004, 09:40 AM   #5
    zuzu8
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Juju,
    Yes, it may be white coat hypertension due to anxiety, and I agree with Crabbyroad that investing in a home BP monitor would be a great idea. Keep track of your own readings for a month or so and see what's what.

If you get high readings at home, talk to your doctor about the possibility of secondary causes of hypertension. Hypertension is unusual in a person of your age, although not unheard of. However, while most people have what they call primary or 'essential" hypertension, when elevated numbers occur in young people, doctors usually like to rule out secondary causes which can be any number of kidney disorders, renovascular causes and endocrine tumor (usually benign) of the adrenal glands.

Also drugs, such as corticosteroids, liquorice and carbenoxolone, sympathomimetics, and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can cause high blood pressure.

Ultrasound, CT scan or MRI of your kidneys would rule out renal artery stenosis (obstruction of the renal artery) and kidney problems including cysts or scarring.
    And a 24 hour test for PLASMA METANEPHRINES is the most specific test for the adrenal gland tumor called pheochromocytoma. There is also a 24-hour urine test for this, but it's not as definitive.

Don't let all this scare you though. Most secondary causes are relatively benign and treatable, and once treated, poof, no more hypertension. And no need for a lifetime of meds either.

But again, your #s may be totally anxiety related, so a home monitor would be my first choice before delving any deeper. If you get one, get an OMRON or LUMISCOPE (2 of the best)... digital, automatic, self-inflatable arm cuff. Really easy to use and very reliable.

zuzu xxx

Last edited by zuzu8; 05-25-2004 at 09:42 AM.

Old 06-02-2004, 01:04 PM   #6
    rexter

rexter HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by juju911
    Sometimes I feel like my heart is pounding really hard and I also feel my pulse in my head sometimes.
    Reminds me of my SVT (Supra-Ventricular Tachycardia). Just a thought, if you read up on it and it sounds familiar mention it to your doctor.
    Best of luck to you!

Old 06-02-2004, 01:37 PM   #7
    txcs714

txcs714 HB User

I'm curious what your heart rate is like typically. Is it ever slow like you expect from someone who is athletic and in shape?

I went through the same sort of situation when I was in my early 20's. Very high blood pressure (160/105 sometimes), anxiety, and fast heart rate. I have always been in good physical shape and athletic, however, my heart rate back then was never under 90 - 95. When I got stressed or anxious (like in the doctor's office or just general anxiety) it would go to 130 - 140 or more.

I had a battery of tests to rule out the physical causes of hypertension in someone young and healthy (tumors, etc.), and nothing was found.

Ultimately, my treatment turned out to be a daily dose of a beta-blocker. It stopped the anxiety, lowered my bp to normal (and below sometimes) and did the same for my heart rate. And the best part is zero side effects - for me at least.

A wise cardiologist got me started on that medication after several failed attempts with other doctors. His explanation to me was that some people have a nervous system that is simply over sensitive to adreneline. The beta blocker blocks those receptors - thereby reducing symptoms. Mine vanished with the first pill. It's been well over a decade now for me. While I still have slightly elevated pressure readings (maybe 130/85 tops), it is always anxiety based.

I know all too well what you are experiencing. I hope you get the answers you need and things get fixed right away.

Good luck.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by juju911
    Hi, I am a 20 year old male who has been having high bp readings lately. They have been fluctating a lot. Once I went to the doctor and got a bp reading of 170/100 and then 5 minutes later got a reading of 140/90. The last time I went to the doc my bp was 160/90. I don't know how My bp can be so high because Im not overweight and Im in great physical condition. I play college basketball. I am costantly training and working out. My bp has only been a problem in the last 7 months or so. I also have been sufering from anxiety for about 7 months to. I am currently trying to get that under control to. But this bp problem and anxiety have been driving me insane. I have a history of high bp in my family but dont know why at such a young age I have high blood pressure. I had a team physical done six months ago and my bp was 124/82. I am really concerned because all I think about is having a stroke or heart attack. I had many test done on my heart one time when I went to the emegency room for chest pains(turned out to be acid reflux) and they all came back excellent. Sometimes I feel like my heart is pounding really hard and I also feel my pulse in my head sometimes. Never had any problem like this until these past few months. I dont want to take any medication. Please any advice would help.

Closed Thread