It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Pharmacist suggests adding atenolol to diovan

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-08-2004, 03:25 PM   #1
    sunny6
    (female)

sunny6 HB User
    Pharmacist suggests adding atenolol to diovan..Zuzu, or others

Dear ones,

My BP seems to be wanting to increase again, since I am having hormonal imbalances and my doctor is trying to get me balanced. ( This whole thing is making me crazy!) I just spoke to my compounding pharmacist and explained that at first the 160 of Diovan was keeping the BP normal, but now it is climbing again and I have some palps. She had suggested that I talk with my MD about temporary combination therapy with Diovan and also Atenolol to help with this difficult period while we are struggling to adjust my hormones. ( My concern is that atenolol alone did not help to keep my BP down in the past. Is there reason to think it will be effective when used in conjunction with Diovan? The pharmacist said it will help with the palps at least. ) I had also been on hydrochlorthiazide in the past and that did not effect my BP...I'd prefer to not be on that again because I think it could mess up my electrolyte balance and I do not need another medical concern.
    Thanks for your advice.

XX,
    Sunny

Last edited by sunny6; 06-09-2004 at 02:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2004, 06:11 PM   #2
    CASSIEBEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CASSIEBEL HB User
    Re: Pharmacist suggests adding atenolol to diovan

Atenolol alone didn't do it for me either. I took 100mgs and still had HBP. When combined with other meds it worked. I took it with an ACE Inhibitor, 2 different Calcium Channel Blockers, and now an ARB. ( all these were at different times over the last 18 yrs) I personally like Atenolol, It slows my usually too fast pulse and stops the palps. Now I take 50mgs with an ARB.

Last edited by CASSIEBEL; 06-08-2004 at 06:12 PM.

Old 06-08-2004, 06:17 PM   #3
    sunny6
    (female)

sunny6 HB User

Thanks, Cassiebel, that is encouraging. Sometimes, I get so very discouraged, when I see my systolic and diastolic numbers going up and feeling like I cannot do anything to get them down. I eat right and have been exercising more and my weight is normal for my height. I am so glad that you wrote. Tomorrow, I will call my internist and see if she will write for atenolol.

Anyone else on this combination?

It's always so reassuring to hear from others and I appreciate this board and your responses.

xx,
    Sunny

Old 06-09-2004, 06:46 AM   #4
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I was on Altace for a couple of years and it did nothing for my BP, and gave me rotten side effects. My dr. at that time, decided to add 25 mg. of Atenolol and after a couple of weeks on it I weened off the Altace. Unfortuneatly the Atenolol didn't do the trick by itself, even though the new dr. upped the dose to 50, so now I also take 150 mgs. of Avapro and only 25 mgs. of Atenolol. I'm not nuts about the Avapro, but know alot of folks who combine Atenolol with other BP meds., my hubby included. Between the Avapro and Atenolol, it seems to keep the BP in check quite nicely for me. Good luck.....

Old 06-09-2004, 02:15 PM   #5
    sunny6
    (female)

sunny6 HB User

Dear JJ,

Thanks for your vote of confidence too! My internist just called in the atenolol and I have taken the first dose, along with the diovan which I took earlier, and I will watch for lowered BP readings. You kind remarks and encouragement from you and others on this board mean sooooo much.
    XX,
    Sunny

Old 06-10-2004, 12:13 PM   #6
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

No problem, I know what it is like to wonder if I should take something I am not sure of. Seems like folks on this board have experienced just about everything, from good to bad, so it helps to know how they did on certain drugs. Naturally everyone reacts differently, but when U see alot of folks with the same side effects, ya have to wonder. It took the Atenolol a few days to kick in on me, but it sure quieted down those heart palps, which kept me calmer. Like I said, I cut my dose from 50 to 25 mgs. and so far, so good. Now if I could only get to the bottom os these lousy backaches and leg pain, as I didn't have them on just the Atenolol, but did have them on Altace and now they are back with the Avapro. Always some fool thing. Oh the joys of drugs, don't loose them!!! Good luck.....

Old 06-10-2004, 04:32 PM   #7
    sunny6
    (female)

sunny6 HB User

Dear JJ,

Good to hear from you again. I just checked my BP and it is really up..180/100 ..I am eager to have this atenolol kick in. ( I am feeling anxious now because our dear little dog is having complications after her spaying and I am waiting for the vet to call back...I feel like a very worried MOMMIE....that is contributing to the elevaqted reading, I'm sure. You said it took a couple of days for the atenolol to kick in. I have noticed some dizzyness which I didn't remember having when I used it years ago, but then I wasn't also taking another antihypertensive agent. My hope is that as my body gets used to the new drug, the dizzyness will pass.
    I was sorry to read about you leg and back pains. For whatever its worth, I was not able to tolerate any of the ACE inhibitors, I had a persisitent dry cough, and I guess Altace is in that class. It looks like Avapro is an angio tension 2, as is my Diovan. It took me a lot of trial and error until I could find something where I could tolerate the side effects. I really think alot of my higher BP readings are due to hormonal fluctuations. For so many years, I just took my good health for granted, now I am learning to work at achieving a sense of well being.
    Anyone else, please feel free to write any encouraging words, I am getting a bit nervous when I think of the reading that I just got. All cardiac tests were normal, it's my adrenals that seem to be fatigued and in need of help. I've been taking supplements to support my adrenals that my alternative MD ordered. It's hard to wait for a positive change, isn't it?
    Thanks again, JJ...hope you find your answers for your pain.

XX,
    Sunny

Old 06-10-2004, 06:03 PM   #8
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oh I am sure with the pup having problems that is what is doing it, plus your probably nervous about when it will kick in. I was on the Altace when they finally put me on the Atenolol, but the Altace seemed to keep giving me problems, so I took myself off of it, then after a few days is when I started to feel better. It did take about a week or so before my body totally calmed down, dr. said it was because I was coming down off the Altace. That stuff really messed me up, major cough, pains and aches, etc. etc. and it did nothing for my BP.??? Oh well, I guess everyone is different, as some people do fine on it.

I know when I use to get high readings it would only make me more nervous, which of course caused it to stay up, so just hang in there, bet U will be fine by next week. I also had a lil dizzyness at first, but it subsided rather quickly, but it kicked back in when I went on the Avapro, but doing a lil better the last 2 weeks. Yes the Avapro is an AT2 like Diovan, so I am just going to have to call the dr. to see what the heck is going on. I hate to call him as he is one who makes ya think your a nutcase, gosh I hope I find a new dr. soon, this guy makes me nervous, and he is VERY moody for such a young guy. I know it is the pills, as when I was just on Atenolol, although it took a few weeks, all these lil pains and aches went away, and didn't come back till he shoved me on this stuff. Like they say, sometimes the cure is worse then the illness itself.

Up until 3 yrs. ago, I had very low BP, so God only knows why it shot up like it did. I went for a reg. office visit and almost died when they said it was 168/106, even the dr. thought his machine went nuts, as he was so use to me being about 124/74. Poor guy tried 3 different machines till he convinced himself it was right. He had me buy a monitor and watch it, of course it was better at home, but still sometimes would jump to the 150's over 90's, so that is when he decided to shove me on something. Lately I have been getting some very low readings at home, like 106/72, so maybe this new guy might let me down the dose of the Avapro??? I'll keep ya posted, and hope U start seeing better numbers, and also the pup is doing better. Maybe we both need a nice long vacation huh?

Take care, and feel better soon....

Old 06-10-2004, 06:25 PM   #9
    sunny6
    (female)

sunny6 HB User

JJ, dear,
    Your words are so kind and so healing. My BP did go down within the hour...I popped a 2.5 of Xanax. ( I truly know that alot of this being off balance has to do with menopause in my case. I always had allergies and was senstive to meds, an indication of adrenal stress. Now the old adrenals are really getting me to pay attention to their needs...so I am; I have to!! )
    I hope you can find a compassionate and wise physician. I went thru plenty until I found the one that I like. She is a former nurse who went on to medical school. She has alot of practical knowledge and takes a special interest in reslving women's issues associated with menopause. She is not perfect, of course, but she is superior to some of the "know it alls" that I had seen in the past. ) My prayer is that you will find someone who is humble enough to listen and learn from what you've already discovered about your body...the place in which you live.
    I am still waiting to get a return call from our vet. This dog is a precious little Maltese and she feels miserable right now with urinary and intestinal complications. I read on-line that we can give Pepto Bismol for dogs...I'll see what her vet says.
    Again, you are wise and you know your body...if certain drugs elicit negative side effects, the doctor needs to expand his repertoire of what other meds can be used. Let him challenge his creativity, or he'll be fired.

XX,
    Sunny

Last edited by sunny6; 06-10-2004 at 06:27 PM.

Old 06-10-2004, 06:32 PM   #10
    CASSIEBEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Dear Sunny,
    I know how it feels to worry about your pup. I love mine so much and it just breaks my heart to see them sick or hurting. What kind of problem is she having? I am a real dog lover so let me know her name and breed.
    It will take 2 or 3 days for the Atenolol to do it's work and I know from experence when you worry it does rise BP. I won't say don't worry about the doggy but I think the BP will be OK. What dose are you taking? As for the dizziness I think that will go away in about a week, but you know we are all so different it may be less or more.
    Take care of that baby now
    Cass

Old 06-10-2004, 08:42 PM   #11
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well thanx for those kind words, I just try to treat other's as I like to be treated. Glad the BP went down, I think U will see it fluctuate a bit till everything settles down. I know they don't want us to take those hormone pills, but to be honest, I felt better on them, as did my girlfriend, but not ready to pop anymore pills right about now.

Hope the pup does well and is back to normal VERY soon, as I am such an animal lover, and know what it is like to go thru losing them, or having them sick. My animals were almost as important as my kids, plus they give ya 110% of love, and ask for nothing but to be fed and loved. I have a 14 yr. old cat right now, and if he is having a bad day I get nervous due to his age. At times he can be a lil snot, but we love him to death.

Maybe once this stress calms down, U will see the pills kick in and that ole BP drop to a decent level. I use to get scared out of my head when mine would go up, now I just wait a day or so and it seems to regulate itself, except when I go to the dr., then it jumps off the wall. Geez, wonder why?

I have 3 drs. in the family, and my son is going to nursing school, but darn them, they are all in FL. Geez, maybe it is time hubby and I retired down there, but he has been there and is not fond of it. Only time he talks about moving south is when CT. gets snow, ice and freezing temps.

I'm trying to be VERY optomistic and keep telling myself the right dr. will come along, gosh how I miss my dr. of 33 yrs., but hey, he deserved to retire, the man paid his dues. Your right, if this guy keeps grating my nerves and giving me off the wall answers, his butt will be fired VERY soon. Hubby goes to the VA, and he has a great lady dr., U can talk to her about anything. They are thinking of opening a womens unit here, so who knows, I might strike it lucky yet. Take care, let me know how the pup is doing, and GOD BLESS!!!

Old 06-11-2004, 06:38 AM   #12
    sunny6
    (female)

sunny6 HB User

God bless you both, JJ and Cass and all others who are sending compassionate care to others on this board.

Our dog is a little Maltese and she, according to the vet, is having stress colitis as a post op reaction to the anesthesia and spaying earlier this week. I am feeding her rice, as advisesd, and things seem to be settling down, although she was up twice last nite and needed to go out and her stools are still kinda bloody. The vet said things should clear up soon, if not they can treat her with meds to get her system back to normal again. The vets dog had the same reaction when she was spayed ...and she is a huge mastiff. I agree, it is the unconditional love of our pets that makes us treasure them; they are such a blessing!

I agree with you, that hormone replacement is an individual choice and I am using bioidentical and plan to use it only during the period of transition, in very low doses. Some of my friends have made similar choices and others elect other options for themselves. It's all so individual and we are all so unique with personal histories to take into treatment decisions.

This AM, I still have a higher BP than I like....150/94 and I have palpitations. Thanks for your prayers and I am focusing on good results to come about as a result of my new regime. I appreciate your encouragement as I wait to see lower numbers. Again, may God bless you!

XX,
    Sunny

Closed Thread