It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Been On Benicar 40 for nearly 2 weeks

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-27-2004, 04:42 PM   #1
    sunny6
    (female)

sunny6 HB User
    Been On Benicar 40 for nearly 2 weeks

Dear Ones,

I am hoping for some advice. I just got back from our vacation and the computer crashed, so I am hoping this gets thru. ( I had to sign in again.)
    I have been taking Benicar 40 and I am noticing alot of dizzyness. Is this transitory. WHat concerns me more is that I am still getting, even yesterday, readings of 190/100 at times. My internist is going to think I am just a malingerer, but I just cannot seem to get this BP down. ( I even tried using Benicar 40 in AM and again in PM and still got high readings. )
    I felt better on the Diovan 160, no dizzyness, but it also did not keep the BP down. Zuzu, suggested taking it in divided doses and I wonder if I used 160 in AM and PM, if that would help. Again, the EKG and ECHO are fine. I am dealing with constant burning feet and the pain seems to keep the BP up.
    How I wish I had better news to report...is it just to soon? ( Sometimes, I get readings like 134/96, but more often it is 150-160/ 90-104, and then the high one that I reported above.)
    Thanks...I also notice I am more tired and I think it is due to Benicar...I must be weird, since so many others like it and respond.

Hugs,
    Sunny

Last edited by sunny6; 06-27-2004 at 04:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2004, 05:10 PM   #2
    CASSIEBEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CASSIEBEL HB User
    Re: Been On Benicar 40 for nearly 2 weeks

Oh Sunny!
    I'm so sorry to hear things are not working out. I don't think your dr will think bad of you, you do have a legitimate problem that needs to be solved. Do you take anything for your foot pain? Some anti-inflamatory drugs make BP rise. I cannot take Celebrex for my arthritis. I tried again today and my BP went up to 189/90. The highest it had been was 130/70. Another thing that gets mine up is anxiety. When I worry I can be sure it will go up. I have worried myself into a panic attack over my raising BP. As for the dizziness I'm sure it's possibly the Benicar - we all react so differently to these meds.
    I would suggest you go over ALL your worries with your dr. talk to him/her like you do us. It took me so many years to be honest with my dr. I was afraid he would think I was just a hypocondriac but I was wrong. He set me up with a cardiologist for my BP and also helped me to understand how my anxiety affects my BP.
    Please keep us posted as to how things go
    I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as I am so aware of the misery and worry HBP can cause.
    Cass

Old 06-27-2004, 05:56 PM   #3
    sunny6
    (female)

sunny6 HB User

Hi dear Cass,

I am not taking anything for my burning feet...nothing seems to help.

I have noticed that ehen I lie down in bed, I have palpitations that really interfere with sleep and I wonder if that is due to Benicar. My gut is kinda telling me to try the Diovan in split doses and then report back to my internist if that works. She had me on Diovan originally and I know she loves that product, but I do not know that she is familiar with using split dosing, as opposed to once a day. We talked about increasing Diovan, but not about splitting the dose. The 160 mg of Diovan once a day ceased to be effective. Does this sound like a realistic approach to run by her?

Love Ya all,
    Sunny

Old 06-27-2004, 06:44 PM   #4
    CASSIEBEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

I don't see why not. You have already taken Diovan and know how it makes you feel. Since you are comfortable with it and so is the dr why not at least ask her what she thinks. If I remember correctly, Diovan was working in the AM and wearing off later in the day? It seems reasonable that boosting the dose might very well work. Anyway you won't know till you try.
    I can't remember if you take any other meds or not? But have you had Palpations brfore? I used to have them so bad and they used to keep me awake too. I used to worry that it was my heart but my cardiologist said it was too much adrenaline due to my anxiety. As far as the Benicar causing it - I am convienced any BP med can cause any side effect. I had an ER doc tell me that Calcicum Channel Blockers don't cause a rapid heart rate but they caused mine to race.
    If your gut tells you somthing - listen!
    Keep your faith, you will find an answer!
    Cass
    I wonder where everyone else is tonight. Maybe their computers are acting as crazy as mine (LOL)

Last edited by CASSIEBEL; 06-27-2004 at 06:45 PM.

Old 06-27-2004, 07:11 PM   #5
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
    Smile Re: Been On Benicar 40 for nearly 2 weeks

Sunny, glad to see you, but very sorry U don't have better news for us. Trust me kiddo, I know what U are going thru. As U know, I was on the Altace for over 2 years, and the dr. wouldn't change it, said it was a great drug. I hated it, and it did nothing for my BP. For days it would be nice, down to 125-135/78-85, then BOOM, it would go right back up to the ole 150/90 routine, and I also got the palps.

It wasn't until I decided to ask for something for the palps did things start to quiet down, as the Altace was doing nothing for me at all. After I went on 25 mgs. of Atenolol with the 5 mgs. of Altace did I notice a difference. After about a month of that combo I took myself off of the Altace, dr. wasn't happy, but tuff, I didn't like that stuff, and I felt better off of it then on it.
    Although the BP was still running about 135-142/88-90, the other side effects went away. New dr. shoved me on 50 mgs. of Atenolol, but my body didn't care for that at all. I got very lil sleep, very depressed, which is not a trate for me at all, so I told him to "Get me off that dose"!!!

He then shoved me on the Avapro, 150 mgs. and told me I could knock down the Atenolol to 25, and so far, so good. Maybe U need 2 different drugs like I did to make it work??? Next time I see him I am going to ask if we can even try 75 mgs. of the Avapro, as so far the BP has been running 115-124/73-78, and a couple of times it has been around 102/68, which to me is a lil too low, as I get light headed.

I know hubby is on 2 different BP meds. also, as just one didn't get it down to where they wanted it, and with him having diabetes naturally they want it as low and even as possible, so he is on Monopril, and Atenolol, forgot what the dose is, but it seems to be working for him, as he went thru years of not being able to get it low enough. Pills would work for a few months and bang, it would go right up again on just one kind of pill. Like I told you, his cardio man has high BP, and it fluctuates like mine, normal, all the way up to 200/102, so now he is on 3 pills to control his, so it might just be U need a combo, not a split dose.

Like Cass said, run all this by your dr., write it down if necessary, and see what he/she can come up with. Don't hold back, as if you aren't honest with your dr. there is no way of he/she knowing what to try. Normally they tell ya to give new pills about 4 weeks to kick in, so your dr. just might want U to hold off a lil longer, or may want to try something else, ya won't know till U explain everything. As far as the pain in the feet, it is hard to find a drug for pain that won't shoot your BP up, except Tylenol, as that is all I can take.

Get in touch with your dr. soon and explain everything and see what they have to say. I truly hope they find something soon to get those numbers down, as like I said, been there, done that, and it is EVER so frustrating.

All the love and prayers are going out for you, so hang in there, if they can finally get me fixed, they can you too...TRUST ME!!! Well wishes, and hopefully good news from you soon...... JJ

Old 06-27-2004, 08:18 PM   #6
    CASSIEBEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Dear Sunny,
    I totally agree with JJ but just let me add this. Even if the doc wants to try Benicar a litle longer YOU must decide if you want to.
    Like I said I can't remember if you are on any other meds but the Atrnolol or any Beta Blocker will stop the palps. Maybe Atenolol and Diovan will do it.
    You are such a sweet person ( I know we've never met but MY gut tells me you are) we are all pulling for you to get better.
    Love Cass

Old 06-27-2004, 08:49 PM   #7
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Been On Benicar 40 for nearly 2 weeks

Cass...Seeing she did well on the Diovan, U might be on to something. Maybe if she took the Diovan, and a small dose of Atenolol before bed like I do, it just might work. I remember someone saying alot of the older ARB's aren't working the full 24 hrs., so a combo just might be her answer.

I know the first month and a half I took the Avapro I was not thrilled with the back and leg pain, but I also had it with the Altace, plus the racing heart and horrid diahrrea. Dr. kept telling me NO, it wasn't the Altace, but seems funny as soon as I took myself off of it, things got better within about 5 weeks. Not everything works the same for each person, so although it is a pain in the REAR, most of us have to experiment till we find what is good for us., and will work with as lil side effects as possible.

My heart goes out to Sunny, as she seems so nice, but right about now must be getting VERY frustrated, I know I did, then I got down right ticked off, till my dr. listened to me and made a change. Geez, sometimes ya feel like ya have to bully these drs. into making a change, but I don't care, it is my body and I want it fixed.

BTW....since I bought those silicone heel things for my shoes and slippers, alot of the pain has settled down, not totally gone, but not as intense as it was. U can get them in any store, they are usually used for heel spurs. A friend of mine bought the arch things, as she has horrid foot pain, and she said they are working really good for her. By the time we all keep experimenting, and maybe finding solutions, we can hang out a DR. shingle!!

Take care, and let's hope we have shed some light with questions for Sunny to ask her dr. Time for this ole lady to hit the sack...NITE.... zzzzz

P.S. I think the time on this board is way off my time, as it is only about midnight here. heee-hee

Old 06-28-2004, 03:21 AM   #8
    sunny6
    (female)

sunny6 HB User

My heartfelt thanks to all of you for your steadfast support and prayers. You are right~ this is a tough time and it is a struggle to stay optimistic and keep the faith.

I had tried the atenolol with the diovan and it brought my pulse way down when I used 25 mgs. It would drop to 60 and sometimes a tad below. I had been on diruretics in the past and I remember not feeling well, but I forget in what way. My impression was that the diuretics ( hydrochlorthiazide) did not seem to help the lower my BP either.

My personal suspicions too are that alot of this is due to hormonal changes ( at menopause). It is one real challenge to get everything smoothed out and operating with ease. I will persevere and collect all of the wisdom that you so generously share.

This computer that craseed is very touchy right now, my husband reloaded part of the system, but it is slow and freezes....time for a newer model. Please understand that if I do not respond quickly it is due to technlogical difficulty on this end. I want and need to stay connected to you all. Thanks for the encouragement and please send in any more thoughts. They are all recevied with gratitude.

Rich blessings,
    Sunny

P. S. My gynecologist has given me xanax, a low dose, to use for the anxiety that comes out of nowhere and that helps as a temporary calming measure and seems to support bringing down the BP...but I do not want to be dependent on that. Is there a BP med that also is similar in its calming effect?

Old 06-28-2004, 05:11 AM   #9
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

sunny,

Drugs in this class (ARBs) RARELY cause much in the way of side effects so I doubt the Benicar has anything to do with your feet...though even RARE side effects do occasionally occur.

My gripe with this kindly class of drugs is that have very little effect on BP lowering. The vast majority of people really have to take two or more meds to get the effect. All the studies show BP lowering as less than 10 points systolic and half that diastolic.
    At their high prices, one would expect better performance, but their niche is for the people who need to do SOMETHING once they've had horrid reactions from all the more effective drugs (like diuretics, beta blockers and ACE inhibitors.)...a LOT of people.

I think your answer might be to add some thiazide to your Benicar, or better yet for you, to your DIOVAN!

For the feet try some cortisone cream?

Last edited by zip2play; 06-28-2004 at 05:16 AM.

Old 06-28-2004, 03:38 PM   #10
    CASSIEBEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Dear Sunny,
    Is there a BP med that also is similar in its calming effect?
    Yes, It is called catapres (generic name is clonidine) It has almost the same calming effect as Xanax or other benzos. It also reduces BP ( it is usually given in ER's for bringing down very HBP ) Only problem is it only last for a few hours. My doc gave me some low dose (1mg) to take when I was on the Diovan and my BP was rising in the afternoon. I would take 1/2 a pill and my BP would go down and I would be calmer ( I get a jittery feeling when my BP is high ) But it has similar side effects of Xanax, ie, dizziness and sleepiness.

Do you think, just maybe, that the fluctuating hormons could be causing some of your symptoms? It is such a shame you have side effects from the Benicar because it seems to work so well for most people. I have been on it now for 4 wks and my BP is constant through out the whole 24 hrs. That is unless I try to take my celebrex.

Don't worry! we'll be here through your BP & computer problems
    Hope you feel better today.
    Cass

Old 06-28-2004, 10:18 PM   #11
    musicmaker
    (female)

musicmaker HB User

HI....wanted to put in a few words about clonidine.

i have finally achieved some BP control with Benicar/HCT 40/25 once a day and .05 clonidine (1/2 .1 tab) at 7AM , 2PM and 8PM. Sometimes I take one if I wake up at night. I range from 100/70 to 145/85. Very variable. I am a bit of a mystery to the docs and have white coat so bad , I have it at home with myself!! I take my BP once(already feeling my pulse race within seconds), sit for a few minutes , take again and then repeat. My Doc accepts these readings and pretty much ignores the office readings since he knows i am so anxious.

I'm thoroughly bummed out having to take these meds BUT my BP was spiking so bad I had to go to ER 2 times. That's how I got started on clonidine. Only thing that worked for awhile.

I avoid the sedation effect by only taking the .05. You have to cut a .1 in half which is NOT easy. I'm hoping to be able to cut back to clonidine only at 7AM and 7PM.

We'll see...one of my problems was intense flushing and red hot ears. I still have slight flushing occasionally and will be seeing an endo to rule things out. I've already had most of the secondary tests and so far all negative.

I am also menopausal and on some estrogen. The flushing is VERY different from hot flashes, however.

My HBP problem also started with menopause.

Sigh, sigh....gettin old ain't for sissies!

Cheers
    Anni

"Create, and be true to yourself, and depend only on your own good taste."

Duke Ellington

Old 06-28-2004, 10:21 PM   #12
    musicmaker
    (female)

musicmaker HB User

Another quickie....i forgot

Benicar HCT 40/25 is the highest effective dose. Above that, there is no advantage.
    Info directly from drug company... I can find webpage again if you like
    Anni

Old 06-29-2004, 05:08 PM   #13
    CASSIEBEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Hi Anni,
    Haven't seen you around for a while. Glad to hear you're doing better.
    How long have you been on Benicar? I also take the 40/25, Been on it about a month now and finally my BP has stopped most of the fluctuations so I don't have to supplement with the clonidine.
    Cass

Old 06-29-2004, 09:18 PM   #14
    musicmaker
    (female)

musicmaker HB User
    Smile Re: Been On Benicar 40 for nearly 2 weeks

I think it has been about 3 weeks on thre Benicar HCT40/25 and I believe I am just beginning to experience the full effect. Today, at 1PM I was 118/70 so I didn't take my usual .05 clonidine. I will check again before bed and see what's up.

My hope is to stop the clonidine altogether but I know I must be patient and do it gradually.

I go see the Doc tomorrow and I know he will be surprised at how well it is working. He is very flexible with me and i really appreciate that. I do a LOT of research, have a long work history as a neuroscience lab asistant and an MA in Health Education. He knows I will research EVERYTHING and ask LOTS of questions.

I'm so relieved to have some respite from the flushing. I hope things keep getting better.

It is SO comforting to know there are others with similar problems.

One of my biggest hurdles is accepting all of this emotionally/psychologically. I am like a poster child for doing all of the lifestyled modifications and diet recommendations. And yet...here I am , on 3 drugs!!! It's a process and a damned tough one but I also realize I am lucky compared to many others. My sister(2 years older) ignored her HBP and smoked and has had 2 small strokes!

Stuff happens...you adjust...you go on...you live your life to the fullest.

i am very happy that i am Ok enough to go to a scheduled music workshop next weekend. Oh happy day!

I really appreciate this board!!

Cheers
    Anni

Old 07-02-2004, 07:01 AM   #15
    sunny6
    (female)

sunny6 HB User

Warm greetings to you all and thanks to each one of you for your helpful responses. I've aprecaited so much all of the time and honest stories you all shared. This old computer is still a bit wacky, so I will hope it stays functional during this message.

My integrative MD presented me with the idea that my BP could be going up so easily due to a sluggish liver...bile that is too thick, perhaps due to being estrogen dominant and overtaxing the liver with work. He suggested I try an herbal extract and also a supplement of red beet roots to help to thin my bile and promote drainage. After I was on it for only 1 day, my BP amazingly started to do down...I thought the cuff was on someone else's arm or that the machine had broken.

I've been on these supplements for about 6 days now and my BP is holding now more at a range of 130-144/ 84-92. ( That is so much better than the 190/110 readings that I got the day before I started the supplement....and I was taking Benicar 40 at the time!)

Unfortunately, the Benicar made me so dizzy and it did not seem to reduce my BP after 2 weeks. So I went back on Diovan 160 and am taking it 2X/day. I restarted that after I noticed the positive effects of the herbal extract and red beet tablets. My plan is to keep monitoring. It does seem that in my case, strange as it is, my liver had become congested due to hormonal overload, or whatever, and now I am hoping that I will begin to see better and better readings over time. I do notice some palpitations from time to time and now I wonder if that is a natural outcome of my BP dropping and my body getting accustomed to a new, more normal pressure.

I will post a new message , so as not to keep this lengthy thread going.

Loving thoughts to you all and again, thanks for your prayers and healing thoughts~~~right back at cha.
    Sunny

Closed Thread