It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Toprol XL side effects

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-11-2004, 03:06 PM   #1
    tarheeldad
    (male)

tarheeldad HB User
    Thumbs down Toprol XL side effects

I have been on Toprol XL 100 for 18 months. about 8 months ago side effects got out of control. Fogginess, depression, anxiety attacks,dizzy, gastric distress, and weird numbness/tingling in arms and legs. Anyone else have similar side effects. Tried to wean off but Dr put me on Benicar. Wanted off because of side effects. Bp was great @128/72 very consistently. 2 days later herat rate is 130 and anxiety is through the roof. Told me to go back on 100mg Toprol daily. Man---how do you get off this stuff? EKG fine during arm and leg numbness. Doc thinks it's all in my head.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2004, 04:19 PM   #2
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User
    Re: Toprol XL side effects

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tarheeldad
    I have been on Toprol XL 100 for 18 months. about 8 months ago side effects got out of control. Fogginess, depression, anxiety attacks,dizzy, gastric distress, and weird numbness/tingling in arms and legs. Anyone else have similar side effects. Tried to wean off but Dr put me on Benicar. Wanted off because of side effects. Bp was great @128/72 very consistently. 2 days later herat rate is 130 and anxiety is through the roof. Told me to go back on 100mg Toprol daily. Man---how do you get off this stuff? EKG fine during arm and leg numbness. Doc thinks it's all in my head.

Hi tarheeldad, i took toprolxl for 3 yrs off and on. I suffered the exact same as you. My gp even wrote to the company for free toprol for me and they gave me 3 bttles of 100. They are still on my dresser with all the other meds i couldn't or wouldn't take.I am on verapamil, hctz, and lisinopril. I would like to try benicar but not sure of side effects. To quit toprol, others on this board says you must wean off, but i just stopped taking it. It did cause my bp to rise but it went back to normal after a couple of days.

Old 07-12-2004, 06:58 AM   #3
    Random2
    Inactive

Random2 HB User

Beta-Blockers like Toprol & Atenolol are the worst class of meds. imo. They caused me all of these side-effects as well. Gastric distress... yes it sounds familiar. I don't know why docs. use them as a 1st measure. There are so many other types on the market. I keep hearing about Benicar, Diovan+, which I will bring up to my new doc. (my 3rd doc. in the last 16 months). The 1st one thought that the side-effects were in my head... yeah right, the 2nd switched me from Toprol to Atenolol (it's like looking at one shade of blue & buying a shirt with a slightly different shade), same side-effects. She wanted to wean me off of the Lotrel in time. My new doc. wants to keep me on the Lotrel, but get me off of the Atenolol (Lotrel is more expensive, no wonder). My B/P on Friday was 115/65, but what good is it if you have a lot of side-effects???? I want a b/p med. that lowers my b/p in stressful situations without the side-effects. I know.... Good luck. I'll let everyone know what happens on 7/27.

Old 07-12-2004, 08:29 AM   #4
    tarheeldad
    (male)

tarheeldad HB User

Thanks for the feedback. BP is now running 102/68 or so. Of course that is with Benicar and Toprol. Back in the fog with the Toprol....talking to Doc this week about weaning off it again. HATE these side effects.

Old 07-12-2004, 07:28 PM   #5
    CASSIEBEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tarheeldad
    Thanks for the feedback. BP is now running 102/68 or so. Of course that is with Benicar and Toprol. Back in the fog with the Toprol....talking to Doc this week about weaning off it again. HATE these side effects.
    Gee, if it's that low you should be able to at least cut down on the beta blocker.
    I take Benicar and it has worked so well that my cardiologist has gotten me from 75 atenolol to 25.

Old 07-13-2004, 12:27 PM   #6
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

i have heard so much about bencair that i would like to try it. Does it cause any of the side effects of lisinopril?

Old 07-13-2004, 02:16 PM   #7
    CASSIEBEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jtu91952
    i have heard so much about bencair that i would like to try it. Does it cause any of the side effects of lisinopril?
    NO, The majority of people who have taken it have no side effects. But as we all know everyone is different.
    I would at least talk to your doc about it.
    Cass

Old 07-15-2004, 08:52 AM   #8
    laf

laf HB User

tarheeldad---

I have taken the Toprol XL for 3+ years and take 150 mg. a day. I have been exceedingly fortunate in that I have not experienced the side effects you mentioned. The only thing I do not like about it is that I wonder if I am doing any benefit to my heart with exercise b/c the Toprol limits the heartrate?

I go to my doc in 2 weeks and am gijng to try to wean off meds. We will see. I am currently taking 3 (the Toprol XL, HCTZ, and mavik). Bp is great at 110/66, but I think that is b/c I have dropped 60 pounds in the past 9 months.

Try to slowly reduce the Toprol and see what it does to your bp as well as how it helps/reduces the severity of your side effects. Write it down and give to your doc. The good docs will take your written readings from home and go by those as so many of us who struggle with high bp also have white coat syndrome and so can never get an accurate bp reading in a doc's office!

Good luck!!

Old 07-15-2004, 01:22 PM   #9
    tarheeldad
    (male)

tarheeldad HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Toprol XL side effects

Thanks for the replies. Been tracking my bp for last week or so and will take readings to my new internist next week. Have been seeing gp for years but not satisfied with his response to side effect issues. Insisted I see therapist for anxiety, Prevacid for gastric problems, etc. Don't think I would be anxious if Toprol XL wasn't jacking me up so much.

Old 07-15-2004, 01:33 PM   #10
    tarheeldad
    (male)

tarheeldad HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jtu91952
    Don't know about lisinopril but all I experienced was rapid heart rate so doc put me back on Toprol XL. Pulse once again around 60-65 which is hard to get around with when you are 6'2 250lbs.

Closed Thread