It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Help need info on bp meds quickly

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-01-2004, 03:38 PM   #1
    MissLawanna

MissLawanna HB User
    Help need info on bp meds quickly

I've been on Micardis for some time now. I had been taking 40 mg in am and 40 mg in pm and this kept my at rest numbers down very well 106-120/69-75 but when I go to any doc appt. or otherwise some what stressful activity the numbers are in these ranges 150-170/88-100.

For the past few days I've started taking the 80 mg at one time to see if this makes a difference but haven't had a doc appt. to check this out. The 80 mg is the maximum dosage for Micardis. I also take Maxzide 25 mg.

I'm going to a new primary care doc and would like to discuss the above with him. I would also like to mention some meds that might work for me and have the least side effects.

I believe I've read where Zuzu is on Diovan with no apparent side effects. What class of drug is this or maybe I should ask what class of drugs have the worst side effects and what are some of the names.

This is one reason I hate to give up Micardis as it has virtually no side effects but just doesn't seem to do the job at all times.

I enjoy reading this forum because of all the good info I get and to know I'm not the only one that
    has the ups and downs of trying to rein in bp.

Would appreciate your comments soon as I want to make an appt with a new doc soonest.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2004, 06:36 PM   #2
    CASSIEBEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CASSIEBEL HB User
    Re: Help need info on bp meds quickly

Diovan and Micardis are both Angiotensin Receptor Blockers (ARB's) You might want to also ask about Benicar ( another ARB) from all I have heard and read this class of drugs has the least side effects. I used to take Micardis HCT. It didn't work for me all day so my doc switched me to Benicar. So far it has worked great for me but other posters have had some side effects. As for the other classes of drugs it really depends on the individual. It really is a trial and error kind of thing. What I might have a problem with might work great for you. Also your BP at home is great. Maybe at the docs it's just "White Coat". And I think the doc wants you to take the Micardis 2X a day because it doesn't last for the whole day ( that's what my cardiologist told me)
    Sorry I couldn't be of more help
    Good luck
    Cass

Last edited by CASSIEBEL; 08-01-2004 at 06:42 PM.

Old 08-04-2004, 04:41 AM   #3
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

Hi Lawanna,

I take Cozaar (another ARB) and hydrochlorothizide, very similar to your Micardia and Maxide.
    I think that is the best combo (ARB + Diuretic) for efficacy and lack of complications...and, believe me, I've tried 'em ALL!

I wish the ARB's were all that were necessary, but I found they're usually not.

Last edited by zip2play; 08-04-2004 at 04:43 AM.

Old 08-04-2004, 04:47 AM   #4
    GEORGEP
    Veteran
    (male)

GEORGEP HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissLawanna
    I've been on Micardis for some time now. I had been taking 40 mg in am and 40 mg in pm and this kept my at rest numbers down very well 106-120/69-75 but when I go to any doc appt. or otherwise some what stressful activity the numbers are in these ranges 150-170/88-100.

For the past few days I've started taking the 80 mg at one time to see if this makes a difference but haven't had a doc appt. to check this out. The 80 mg is the maximum dosage for Micardis. I also take Maxzide 25 mg.

I'm going to a new primary care doc and would like to discuss the above with him. I would also like to mention some meds that might work for me and have the least side effects.

I believe I've read where Zuzu is on Diovan with no apparent side effects. What class of drug is this or maybe I should ask what class of drugs have the worst side effects and what are some of the names.

This is one reason I hate to give up Micardis as it has virtually no side effects but just doesn't seem to do the job at all times.

I enjoy reading this forum because of all the good info I get and to know I'm not the only one that
    has the ups and downs of trying to rein in bp.

Would appreciate your comments soon as I want to make an appt with a new doc soonest.

Old 08-04-2004, 04:53 AM   #5
    GEORGEP
    Veteran
    (male)

GEORGEP HB User

To: Miss Lawanna----DIOVAN

Hello, I have been taking Diovan since January and it has kept my bp under control (average readings of 115/75). Diovan works like an ace inhibitor. It blocks some chemical that the kidneys make that constricts blood vessels that raises bp. By preventing the constriction of blood vessels and arteries they widen and blood pressure is lowered. Before the Diovan I had been prescribed a diuretic that did nothing for me and also lisinopril ( ace inhibitor) and I had a bad reaction to it. I have had no side effects from the DIOVAN. I take 80mg, once in the morning and again at night.. You might want to ask your Doctor about it..

Closed Thread