It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Old age with high blood pressure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-16-2004, 08:44 PM   #1
    kdeese

kdeese HB User
    Old age with high blood pressure

Does anybody know of someone with high blood pressure that has lived a a long time that refuses to take mediaction for hypertension? I quess my question is "Can someone with high blood pressure live a long healthy life with out taking any medication for their hypertension"? I would like to hear from somebody that has lived with high blood pressure for years and has had no problems and has took no medication for their hypertension. 55 years and older.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2004, 04:16 AM   #2
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User
    Re: Old age with high blood pressure

My hubby is 61yrs young and does not take any meds at all. He works everyday and does not see a dr. He does have hbp and high cholesterol. There is a family history of hypertension in his family. Although, i disagree with his decision not to see a dr or take meds, he insist he is fine.

i on the other hand, always go to the dr and im all messed up. I have diabetes, which was caught or misdiagnosed in the early yrs. Also, i have thyroid problems (graves disease), high cholesterol, and arthiritis.

So maybe he has a point. He uses alot of herbs to cure whatever ails him. I believe in going to the dr. My motto is: you can't treat what you don't know you have.

Old 08-17-2004, 08:00 AM   #3
    junior26
    (male)

junior26 HB User

Just goes to show that you're only as healthy as you feel. It all depends on the severity of the blood pressure.

You have to keep in mind that blood pressure standards have gotten extremely strict in the past 10 years, probably stricter than they should be. Those standards scare us a little more than they should. I'm young, 27, and I have had 150/90 BP since my early teens. When I was 20, I was in the normal-high category. Now, with the same BP and the new standards, I'm in the Stage I Hypertension category. With the new standard, there is NOBODY in my immediate surroundings that aren't in the pre-hypertension category. In the next 5 years, they'll find "proof" that a too low BP causes damage. There are a lot of people on this board who swear by the 140/90 rule, but I disagree to a certain extent.

For example, 20 years ago anything below 175/105 was considered a normal blood pressure. All the long term research done on high blood pressure was done with these standards. In these researches, someone with a BP of 170/100 would have been put in the normotensive group.

If your BP is anything above 160/90, I would suggest you at least get it checked out. But I'm sure that BP in this range doesn't start causing damage for many decades, if any. And normally, this damage can be controlled and will allow you to have a normal life expectancy.

I'm not a doctor, but that's just my personal opinion.

Last edited by junior26; 08-17-2004 at 08:06 AM.

Old 08-17-2004, 04:11 PM   #4
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Junior, I was dealing with hbp 20yrs ago and my #s were 140/92. I was on procardia. I don't think bp of 175/100 was the norm. I remember back then being given a glycerin patch and sent home from work when my bp was 180/91.

Old 08-17-2004, 06:20 PM   #5
    junior26
    (male)

junior26 HB User

It might have been an isolated study. But I do recall reading that anybody 169/104 or below were being put in the normotensive group for some reason. It may have been even longer than 20 years ago.

But that's beside the point of kdeese's question. She wants to know if someone with uncontrolled hypertension can live a long healthy life. My answer is yes, of course.

You have to remember that HBP is simply a risk factor for developing more serious complications. It's not a death sentence. It depends on the numbers as well, but someone with mild hypertension will only have a slighter chance of developing heart related problems than someone who is normotensive. For example, someone with 160/100 BP for 20 years has a 20% chance of developing heart failure in his/her lifetime versus a 10% chance for a normotensive. If we don't get any other illnesses and live long enough, we will all die from heart failure at one time or another, even people with normal BP's.

Last edited by junior26; 08-17-2004 at 06:21 PM.

Old 08-18-2004, 03:48 PM   #6
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

So true. Like i said, my hubby refuse to go to a dr and he is 60 almost 61. He works everyday and never complain about any aches and pain. I've been with him for 33yrs and can't remember him ever being seriously ill. he does have hbp when he uses my bp monitor at home.I think its bcuz he is so low key and mellow. I on the other hand is definitely type A personality.

Old 08-18-2004, 04:20 PM   #7
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by junior26
    For example, someone with 160/100 BP for 20 years has a 20% chance of developing heart failure in his/her lifetime versus a 10% chance for a normotensive.
    Someone with 160/100 BP is a walking pressure cooker. Someone with a 160/100 BP also has spikes much higher. They are at risk for heart failure, aneurysm, stroke, brain damage, eye damage, kidney damage, etc.. At the end of 20 years, provided someone would live that long with uncontrolled HBP, the person would be very sick, and have a very low quality of life, IMHO.

Old 08-19-2004, 09:32 AM   #8
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

that would be true for most people but not everyone. Maybe not even for most people. Alot of people have high bp and don't even know it. Definitely higher than 120/80 and they don't have any problems at all. My husb. has definitely had higher than 160/80 and i can't remember the last day he was ill. He is 61 this yr and still doing construction work/

I think it has alot to do with our personalities, heredity, and our outlook on life. Im the more serious type and he's the opposite. Sure high bp is not good, but people still live with it.

Old 08-19-2004, 11:41 AM   #9
    Tamsin
    Veteran
    (female)

Tamsin HB User

High blood pressure is a major risk factors for heart disease.

Heart disease is the number one killer of men and women in the US.

You can bet I won't be taking any chances!!

Old 08-19-2004, 12:52 PM   #10
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jtu91952
    Sure high bp is not good, but people still live with it.
    The human body is amazingly durable. Someone can live with only 25% of their heart functioning, albeit somewhat limited.

All of the body's organs can be compromised and the person could still survive.

So I agree with you. People can live with disease all the time. But, I prefer Tamsin's conclusion.

Last edited by Machaon; 08-19-2004 at 12:53 PM.

Old 08-19-2004, 03:42 PM   #11
    crabbyroad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

crabbyroad HB User

I think the true question here is this sentence of the post.

Quote:
    I quess my question is "Can someone with high blood pressure live a long healthy life with out taking any medication for their hypertension"?
    Long Healthy Life been the critical part. IMO, if not treated, yes you may live long, but at what expense to the rest of your body and organs?. Exactly how healthy? If you think it will be smooth sailing with no swelling of the legs, ankles, angina periodically, migraines and dizziness, I truly dont think you will really be in good health.

Old 08-20-2004, 05:43 AM   #12
    cloverberry

cloverberry HB User

I don't think it's worth taking a chance of not taking medication for high blood pressure. I know someone who has kidney problems because they wouldn't see a doctor for their high blood pressure or take any kind of medication. If there's a problem with the medication tell the doctor and try other kinds of prescriptions

Old 08-24-2004, 11:09 AM   #13
    zuzu8
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

In my opinion, anything we can do to improve our health is something I want to do.

My mother had hypertension and was very lazy about taking her meds. In fact at some point she just stopped, much to the dismay of the family and her doctor. She would lie to us and tell us "yes, I took my pill". But we'd do a count and discovered she wasn't taking them. We begged. We pleaded. She refused. She said she felt fine without them.

She suffered a massive stroke at aged 49 and remained a veritable vegetable, virtually paralyzed and unable to communicate at all until her death @55. I had to watch this stunningly beautiful, vibrant, talented fantastic woman waste away in a hospital bed for 6 years. (Yes, hospital bed...We were living in England then and it was in the the days when they didn't kick you out! Quite amazing..)

I've got her genes. You can bet I take my meds! I certainly don't want to face what she went through.

zuzu xx

Last edited by zuzu8; 08-24-2004 at 11:34 AM.

Old 08-24-2004, 12:47 PM   #14
    Sandra49
    (female)

Sandra49 HB User

Oh, Zuzu, that must have been extremely difficult for her and your family. Your mother would be so proud to know that you are enriching so many lives, by sharing your knowledge. My father suffered mini strokes at 55 because he feared doctors and would not treat his hypertension, his symptoms were the same as Alzheimers. My dad who I loved dearly spent the last 5 years of his life in a Nursing Home. So, I too share your desire to ward off dreaded diseases.

Note: Research has shown recently that cardiovascular health is suspected in Alzheimers

Old 08-24-2004, 01:16 PM   #15
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

I still stand by my first two posts. My hubby seems healthy enough to me and i've known him for 33 yrs. He RESUFES to see a dr. The only way i know he has hbp is bcuz i caught him using my bp machine. He works about 10 hrs a day every day including weekends. He has been doing this for the whole 33 yrs and he is now 61 yrs old. I never hear him complain about ailments of any kind.

I agree with everybody on this board that it is better to take care of your hbp and seeing a dr. I have suffered with hbp for 25 yrs and always went to the dr. Now im very ill with many diseases and he has nothing wrong with him. None of his immediate family members have hbp either. I think alot of diseases are heredity, and geetic. Im the only one in my immediate family with hbp, but many bros, uncles and my mom dealt with diabetes.

Closed Thread