It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• high blood pressure impotence

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-19-2004, 08:03 AM   #1
    ibedawn287

ibedawn287 HB User
    high blood pressure impotence

Hi all, my name is Dawn, my boyfriend is on meds for high blood pressure and he has difficulty "staying up" for the fun. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything else he can take? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Dawn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2004, 09:11 AM   #2
    tattooyu
    (male)

tattooyu HB User
    Question Re: high blood pressure impotence

Hi Dawn.

I just started taking Micardis a couple of days ago. Not sure if it was just a coincidence but it seemed a little more difficult to "stay up". Never ever ever had that problem before I started taking it.

I hear it happens more with the Beta Blockers than the ABRs which I am taking, but we'll see what happens!

What med is he taking?

Old 08-19-2004, 11:49 AM   #3
    tsclc
    (male)

tsclc HB User
    Re: high blood pressure impotence

Dawn,
    Oh how nice to have a mate that cares about sex....see my post
    [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=197968[/url]
    about Lotrel.....It does not seem to have the side effects as other drugs..
    I have found a few people that say it does exactly the opposite!
    JKS

Old 09-03-2004, 11:52 AM   #4
    tattooyu
    (male)

tattooyu HB User

Update!

Well, my particular case of Micardis impotence seems to have disappeared for the most part. I find it's a little more difficult to get going, but once I'm up... it's up until I'm done.

Also, my blood pressure is much better, averaging around 135/75, down from 160/110. I'm still doing my part to exercise every day, stick with good food and hopefully ween off of meds.

However, my BP is always higher (140/90) at the doctor's office than at home. I use a standard/manual sphygmomenometer at home, which is very accurate.

Old 09-08-2004, 12:31 PM   #5
    heartlandguy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

heartlandguy HB User

Dawn, I posted about erectile dysfunction (ED) under Tsclc's thread titled "Sexual increase with Lotrel". I just changed medications and the problem appears to be going away.

For the details, please check
    "http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=197968".

Old 09-29-2004, 01:51 PM   #6
    tattooyu
    (male)

tattooyu HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by muskie
    My Dr. says one side effect of a diuretic is 'performance problems'. Does the Micardis also have the diuretic added?
    Micardis HCT has a diuretic, but not just plain Micardis. However, the first couple of weeks I was taking plain Micardis, I noticed some dysfunction.

I am now taking Diovan HCT and haven't had any problems.

Old 09-29-2004, 02:12 PM   #7
    Terri43
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Terri43 HB User

My fiance had the same problem and it really bothered him.he was on norvasc and clonidine. He said he would rather take his chances with the high blood pressure than not have a sex drive. but he was put on lisinopril and he is doing much better in controling the B/P and he has his sex drive back...

Old 09-29-2004, 02:53 PM   #8
    heartlandguy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

heartlandguy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Terri43
    he was put on lisinopril and he is doing much better
    My problem began when I was switched to lisinopril and stopped when I returned to a diuretic.

Just in this small sampling of posts, people told of the exact opposite effect occurring with both of the two medications I mentioned. Obviously everyone responds differently but it appears that there is an appropriate medication for everyone. I mention this because my doctor told me that many men suffer with ED in silence. Another poster on these boards wrote that a nurse told him the same thing. I hope no one ever settles for medication-induced ED.

Closed Thread