It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• stress & high bp readings, help please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-03-2004, 11:31 AM   #1
    mariazzzz
    (female)

mariazzzz HB User
    Exclamation stress & high bp readings, help please

Hi, I am new to this board. Here goes. Doctor appt. about a month ago for routine physical. Bp was about 150/? (sorry, can't remember) Doctor wants me to monitor bp for a while. I am extremely anxious and probably should be on a medication for that itself. I have health anxiety also. So, just hearing that I may have a problem with high bp I am now even nervous just thinking about having a reading taken. I have had high readings at the nurse visits and even the grocery store machine since. (ex. 142/82, 148/99, 160/96(doctor visit and noticibly stressed at that time), 140/96etc) So, I bought a wrist monitor to check at home, readings were ex. 133/86, 122/72/ 124/83) lower but not all that great. Back to doctor for a sore throat(bp by nurse 164/107) and I was told the wrist monitors are not accurate (even though the nurse checked it with her reading and it was almost the sam) so I bought an arm monitor. Readings at home flutcutate from 149/91, 133/85, down to 129/82) Why so much fluctation and how do I know if the stress of worrying is causing my bp to be high or if it is really high? I've never had really low readings, I think my lowest was about 120/80 but never over 13?/? before all this but I wish I was back at that reading. I am so scared just thinking about the consequences of high bp and also scared of the side effects of the drugs to treat it after reading some of the posts here. Can some one help me? Anyone ever lower there bp without having to take meds? How do I relax and some good readings so I don't have to go on the drugs? Please, I get nervous when I have to take antibotics, this will put me over the edge. Any advice would be Greatly Appreciated. Thank you so much, Maria

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2004, 12:22 PM   #2
    mariazzzz
    (female)

mariazzzz HB User
    Re: stress & high bp readings, help please

Doesn't anyone have any input for me?! Maria

Old 09-04-2004, 02:12 PM   #3
    zuzu8
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Maria,

It's always upsetting when we're told our blood pressure "needs watching".
    I remember I flew into a tizzy after years of feeling totally invulnerable.

Your readings are labile...some in the normal- but- "pre-hypertension" range, a few would be stage 1 hypertension. This doesn't mean you're going to keel over any minute, nor does it mean any damage has been done yet. It simply means you need to adopt some lifestyle changes to see if you can get your #s down.

Often genetics plays a big role in this and changing diet, stress reduction, stopping smoking, reducing weight (if overweight), regular exercise, reducing sodium intake and lowering alcohol consumption aren't enough.

BUT the very good news is that often they are!

Please read the thread:How soon should lifestyle changes take effect? posted by Resonate. I posted some tips there plus a link to info on how to bring your BP down without meds. Take a look.

Hope some of the information helps.

zuzu xxx

Old 09-04-2004, 02:18 PM   #4
    mariazzzz
    (female)

mariazzzz HB User

Thanks, I'll take a look. I'm a little worried because I'm not overweight, don't smoke or drink, don't think I use too much salt. I do have a lot of stress and I don't exercise though. I Really don't want to go on medication. Thanks, Maria

Old 09-04-2004, 10:19 PM   #5
    little hamster

little hamster HB User

Hi maria

I have a similar story to share with you. Recently, my mom was also diagnosed with high blood pressure but was not extremely high. Only moderately high, about 140 or something? anyway she took captopril and immediately felt better. When she don't sometimes she get dizzy spells again. I think it is important to not stop your anti-hypertensive drugs w/o doctor "okay". Maybe you can reduce your stress by excercising, doing deep breathing, thinking positively, getting emotional supports from your loved ones. That should help i hope. And my mom also takes alot of fruit juices like carrot, apples, vegetables, celery...etc. They help to reduce blood pressure. She also drink green tea, i don't know if that does help but she felt it does help a little. The green tea she drinks had an indication that says can control high blood pressure. By the way my mom doesn't smoke or drink or excercise either, except a 10mins walk every morning. But she have a lot of stress at work too. Forgot to mention that hypertension is also link with genetic, my grandfather (maternal side) died of a stroke and he had hypertension too. There is no absolute cure,but can be controlled.
    Take care

Old 09-05-2004, 12:50 PM   #6
    mariazzzz
    (female)

mariazzzz HB User
    hi, I'm not on bp medication. Still just checking. Why did the drs. put you mom on medication with a reading of 140, isn't that borderline but not really high? I am not dizzy either. Yesterday my readings were all great at home. Today I am varying from 133 to 136 on top and good bottom numbers. So, I am very confused as to why I get good readings sometimes, slightly high and borderline at others and I can get to 160/100 when I am at the doctors and nervous. Thanks, Maria Adding: Question, can a person dx as having "high" blood pressure get good readings at times? If I am getting some nice readings like 118, 120, 125 over 75or80 doesn't that mean that this is due to time of day, stress etc? If you are getting some 130, 135, 140 along with these good readings, what does that mean? Will they still want to put you on medication? After reading some of the posts about side effects there's no way I'm taking medication with a borderline reading. Any help, please. Thank You, Maria

Last edited by mariazzzz; 09-05-2004 at 02:55 PM. Reason: to add a question

Old 09-06-2004, 07:33 PM   #7
    anneh
    (female)

anneh HB Useranneh HB User

I have a similar problem, started thru a freak incident and ever since then I now have white coat hypertension and just the thought of getting my bp taken makes me panicky. I took it at home and sometimes systolic would be abit high but then as I relaxed it would come down to around 130/80. Frankly they are putting people on bp meds anytime they can and I don't think its such a good idea. Go to drmirkin.com and they have good info about it (not selling anything, regular doctor but knows his stuff). I try to relax and practice breathing deeply and slowly and I try to stay away from Doctors anneh
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariazzzz
    hi, I'm not on bp medication. Still just checking. Why did the drs. put you mom on medication with a reading of 140, isn't that borderline but not really high? I am not dizzy either. Yesterday my readings were all great at home. Today I am varying from 133 to 136 on top and good bottom numbers. So, I am very confused as to why I get good readings sometimes, slightly high and borderline at others and I can get to 160/100 when I am at the doctors and nervous. Thanks, Maria Adding: Question, can a person dx as having "high" blood pressure get good readings at times? If I am getting some nice readings like 118, 120, 125 over 75or80 doesn't that mean that this is due to time of day, stress etc? If you are getting some 130, 135, 140 along with these good readings, what does that mean? Will they still want to put you on medication? After reading some of the posts about side effects there's no way I'm taking medication with a borderline reading. Any help, please. Thank You, Maria

Old 09-07-2004, 04:33 PM   #8
    mariazzzz
    (female)

mariazzzz HB User

I agree dr.s are too quick with the meds. That's why I am monitoring myself at home. That's why I won't go on zoloft. There has got to be a better way. As for the b.p. ...I am getting some very good readings mixed in with slightly high (up to 135) except for one day of consistant "high" readings which could have been due to headache and medication.(?)So far I would think this is normal if peoples pressure can change up to 20-30 points a day, if what I read is correct. Maria

Old 09-10-2004, 09:28 AM   #9
    little hamster

little hamster HB User

Hello

Well i have studied that 140 is the first value that any value greater than 140 will require medications. And 140 is also the last value in a range that indicate moderate hypertension. Perhaps that is why. My mom had angina sometimes and will faint sometimes. Because of family history and my mom is very old maybe that is why she is on the drug.
    Ya when you are nervous your bp will get higher..and if u take diuretics like coffee and it can reduce your bp.. I also feel borderline hypertension don't require medications.

Old 09-10-2004, 06:59 PM   #10
    georgieh
    (female)

georgieh HB User

My blood pressure started going up from stress too...and one day at the doctors office my BP was 150/95 and that scared me. Then I developed a fear of having my BP taken...but the doctor told me if I didnt monitor it, he would put me on meds...he also told me I needed to get my anxiety under control.

Well, I didnt want to go on BP meds....so I went on Zoloft for the anxiety and that made a huge difference for me. Also, I've had no side effects at all fromthe zoloft except for feeling a little sleepy at times.

I also started exercising ALOT and totally changed my diet. I've lost 16 pounds and my BP now routinely runs around 117/66....

So..I think one of the first things you should do is start an exercise program of some sort. I started out walking and now I run between 3 and 5 miles a day. The exercise willhelp the stress as well.

Old 09-10-2004, 11:55 PM   #11
    zuzu8
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

What a great story Georgie!
    It's wonderful you managed to turn it all around and don't needs BP meds.
    Inspiring to say the least!
    zuzu xx

Old 10-08-2004, 10:39 PM   #12
    palatina

palatina HB User
    Unhappy Re: stress & high bp readings, help please

I'm recently diagnosed HBP, supposed to start my BenicarHCT 20/12.5 today, but put it off due basically to fear. Got a BP monitor this evening (OMRON-711), which I couldn't really afford, but I really want to learn how to keep track. I'm a 53 year old female. Well, it was 10 pm when I fired up the machine, and the first reading was 174/117 (right arm, didn't see that it was supposed to be in left arm). Did again several minutes later in left arm and it was 186/107. Dr. office reading 3 days ago was 150/100. I didn't feel too anxious until that thing started inflating, and when I saw the numbers I felt VERY anxious! I better get real and start the meds first thing in the morning.

Does anyone have any ideas for how I should go about getting my first readings? I don't want to obsess, but want to get a good idea of the averages. Once a day?

When I saw the 186/107 I put the machine away for the night, but now that I'm at my computer I feel relaxed. Can you get White Coat with a machine? It seems I'm more relaxed at the doctor's office!

Old 10-09-2004, 03:03 AM   #13
    zuzu8
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Palatina,

I promise you that you're not alone in your anxiety about a) the whole idea of being diagnosed with hypertension and b) having to take meds for it for the first time.

It's a vulnerable feeling (after all, we've been "perfect" for years haven't we!)....

First off, Benicar HCT is a very good anti-hypertensive drug, with very few (if any) side effects for most people. I take Diovan (same class) with zero side effects. Great BP control too.

I too have an OMRON-HEM711AC. Is this exactly your model #?
    If so, it's really designed for the left arm if you look carefully at the diagrams in the manual. (although it can be used on the R arm). Let me know if this is the one you have.

And yes, it's really nerve-wracking taking your own BP at first. That first inflation freaks most folks out, it feels so WEIRD. Definitely "white coat" is possible at home!

Can you spell T-E-N-S-E?

My readings were all over the place at the beginning until I got used to the mechanics of it all. (And also reconciled myself to the fact that I had to even be involved in this at all.

A good rule of thumb when you first start meds is to take your BP 3 times a day, (3 separate "sessions") at the same time of day. Perhaps AM, midday, and PM. Wait at least 1/2 hour after food, smoking or exercise before monitoring.

After adjusting cuff, sit quietly for a couple of minutes before you press that button!
    Feet flat on floor (uncrossed!).
    Back ideally should be supported.
    Arm relaxed and resting on table with cuff at heart level.

Take 1st reading. Write it down
    Wait 2 minutes.
    Take 2nd reading. Write it down
    Wait 2 minutes
    Take 3rd reading. Write it down

Throw out first reading completely (it's almost always the highest, even in veteran BP takers) and average the last two. Record that figure and time of day and keep a log.

You'll probably begin to see a pattern emerge after the first week or so.
    Don't be surprised if your BP fluctuates depending on time of day. Blood pressure is supposed to fluctuate. You may find, once your pressure is under control that it still runs higher at certain times of day than others.

Now, go to bed!
    Take that pill tomorrow. Nothing bad is going to happen to you.
    And don't forget, we've all been down this road and we'll all be right here!

zuzu xx

Old 10-09-2004, 06:45 AM   #14
    palatina

palatina HB User

Zuzu ~ Thanks soooooo much for posting a reply! YES!!! My OMRON is a HEM711AC. It's 6:30 AM here, I'm going to take my first pill with breakfast. I've had them for several days, but I've been rolling around in denial ever since. The BP readings last night smacked me into reality, though.

What you said, -- "It's a vulnerable feeling (after all, we've been "perfect" for years haven't we!)...." -- is so true! And I tell my grandkids all the time to take their medicine like the doctor says so they'll feel better. If they knew I was being so stubborn about this, they would be shocked!

I have printed out your reply as it is very helpful -- and extremely reassuring!!

Thank God for this message board and for people like you, Cass, Sunbird, all the others who share. It is sooooooo appreciated . . .

Pal

Old 10-10-2004, 12:13 PM   #15
    palatina

palatina HB User

Zuzu ~ I'm getting squared away on the monitoring. Turns out I needed a larger cuff, so those early readings on the monitor I've disregarded. I posted my readings on the "Benicar" thread. Your words were wise, and I've settled down a lot!

Closed Thread