It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Anyone with Benicar or Avapro experience

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-06-2005, 07:33 AM   #1
    Onclou9
    (male)

Onclou9 HB UserOnclou9 HB User
    Anyone with Benicar or Avapro experience

My lovely insurance company just notified me that Diovan was being taken off the preferred drug list so I will have to change or pay it all myself...no biggie, I think my Diovan was causing some significant lethargy and muscle pain.

The insurance company listed some alternatives and I would like to get any feedback I can on any of these:

Benicar/HCT
    Avalide/Avapro
    Cozaar/Hyzaar

Thanks,
    Michael

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2005, 07:55 AM   #2
    mrmojo

mrmojo HB User
    Re: Anyone with Benicar or Avapro experience

The Benicar HCT made me gain weight, which caused my BP & Cholesterol to go up, then my doc doubled my dosage & the weight really shot up

I felt a little off all the time I was on it & I was waking up to pee about every hour all night

It controlled BP sometimes, but i would get weird spikes up & down for no apparent reason, & I got occasional dizzy spells

my insurance company didnt like it, my copay was $50, which was higher than the retail price at my pharmacy, their preferred drug copay was $20

I also was so sore & tired & couldnt stand to work out

Last edited by mrmojo; 01-06-2005 at 07:55 AM.

Old 01-06-2005, 09:15 AM   #3
    Palamedes
    Veteran
    (male)

Palamedes HB User

I am on plain old Benicar 20 mg (no HCT) with very good results. Benicar is a little more potent and has better 24 hour control than Diovan. So, IMHO, it's a better choice anyway (aside from the fact that it is a little cheaper). Though I wouldn't expect there to be a dramatic difference between the two.

Each medication has two versions - plain, vanilla (Diovan, Benicar, Avapro, Cozaar) and HCTZ versions (Diovan HCT, Benicar HCT, Avalide, Hyzaar). My preference is a the plain version combined with a low sodium diet. If you want to continue eating normal (i.e. excessive) amounts of sodium, you'd be better off with the HCTZ versions.

Pal

Old 01-06-2005, 09:23 AM   #4
    CASSIEBEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

I've taken Avalide, MicardisHCT, and finally BenicarHCT. Only the Benicar worked for me. No side effects and it was the only one that worked a full 24 hours. Micardis quit working after about 8-10 hours and the avalide caused anxiousness and insomnia.
    But as we all say (the hypertension motto) "we're all different"
    Cass

Old 01-06-2005, 10:56 AM   #5
    Onclou9
    (male)

Onclou9 HB UserOnclou9 HB User

Thanks guys and gals....

I may suggest...but heed the doctor's call...BenicarHCT.

I wonder if the Diovan hasn't been causing weight gain or retention. My diet wasn't causing me to gain weight and then I began working out 5 days a week (20 minutes on a interval treadmill) and lost absolutely no weight over almost six months! If my diet wasn't so overpowering that I was holding my weight, the logic would dictate that adding a workout 5 days a week religiously would drop some weight.

Hopefully the BenicarHCT will work.....who knows? For the people for whom Benicar worked, did you gain or lose weight or have any muscle problems?

New

Last edited by Onclou9; 01-06-2005 at 10:58 AM.

Old 01-06-2005, 10:59 AM   #6
    mgraylorn
    Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I had bad reactions to Hyzaar. It made me nauseous, sweat like a pig, and then it gave rapid pulse and blood pressure changes. A resting pulse rate of 125 is not a good thing. I stopped taking it after a trip to the emergency room at 4 a.m, caused by the rapid pulse.

Old 01-06-2005, 04:20 PM   #7
    CASSIEBEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Hopefully the BenicarHCT will work.....who knows? For the people for whom Benicar worked, did you gain or lose weight or have any muscle problems?

No to both. Been on it for a year now. I have lost 10lbs but was working on it.
    Cass

Old 01-07-2005, 07:18 AM   #8
    sunbird_owner
    (male)

sunbird_owner HB User

I am on Benicar 20 with no HCT. Good control. I have lost 20 pounds. I am planning on a half marathon at Tybee Island (Savannah) in February. Benicar is great!

My Copay is just about what I pay at Walmart so I just go to Walmart.

Old 01-07-2005, 09:48 AM   #9
    Palamedes
    Veteran
    (male)

Palamedes HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onclou9
    I wonder if the Diovan hasn't been causing weight gain or retention. My diet wasn't causing me to gain weight and then I began working out 5 days a week (20 minutes on a interval treadmill) and lost absolutely no weight over almost six months! If my diet wasn't so overpowering that I was holding my weight, the logic would dictate that adding a workout 5 days a week religiously would drop some weight.
    Are you on Diovan HCT or plain Diovan? One of my experiments was Hyzaar (Cozaar + HCTZ). It was generally tolerable except I gained 10 lbs in one month on this. I attribute this to the HCTZ though.
    Quote:
    On plain Benicar (no HCT), I've been able to lose weight without any problems (now down 30 lbs from that Hyzaar fiasco). I'd expect Benicar HCT to work similar to Hyzaar. Therefore, for me, it would be very bad.

Pal

Closed Thread