It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Med Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-18-2005, 12:06 PM   #1
    Oklahoma
    (male)

Oklahoma HB User
    Med Question

I have been taking Norvasc 10mg for the last couple of months or so. It lowered my BP but not quite enough. Today the doctor prescribed HCTZ in addition to the Norvasc. Does this sound right? Do I need to worry about potassium or not. I haven't picked up the perscription yet but I think the HCTZ is 25mg.

Thanks for any comments.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2005, 01:26 PM   #2
    lavenderfields
    (female)

lavenderfields HB User
    Re: Med Question

I was on norvasc for eight months and took 25 mg HCTZ with it. My potassium levels got very low and I had to take a prescription strength potassium supplement. My symptoms were weakness in legs and heart palpitations. My Dr. didn't warn me ahead of time and I didn't know that I needed to increase my potassium. I'm now on a very low dose of HCTZ only 6.25 mg I know longer need the supplement, but I make sure that I eat plenty of potassium rich foods everyday. Good sources are bananas, potatoes, orange juice, spinach, tomatoes, milk and yogurt.

Old 02-18-2005, 02:01 PM   #3
    Palamedes
    Veteran
    (male)

Palamedes HB User

It seems that an ACEI or ARB would be a better thing to add to Norvasc than a diuretic. There is a combo ACE/Norvasc available called Lotrel.

Pal

Old 02-20-2005, 02:48 PM   #4
    Tick Tock

Tick Tock HB User

HCTZ is a very common med to add for high BP. Many meds come in a version with and without HCTZ. I can't take it because I'm allergic to sulfa, but it's cheap and effective. I'd talk to your Dr. about what blood tests should be done and other things to watch for.

Old 02-20-2005, 03:31 PM   #5
    mrmojo

mrmojo HB User

Keep track of your weight, I was on Benicar HCTZ & gained a lot, probably due to the HCTZ but I'm not positive (didnt help that the Benicar made my joints & muscles hurt, made my workouts hell)

Old 02-20-2005, 04:45 PM   #6
    pal7778
    Veteran
    (male)

pal7778 HB User

Why does HCTZ cause a weight gain?

Old 02-20-2005, 05:48 PM   #7
    shayne
    (female)

shayne HB User
    Talking Re: Med Question

I am taking the med lotrel 10/20. I am a 33 year old female I have no side effects what so ever with this med. I have been checking my bp it has been around 120/80 or 85 sometime's lower depending on the day I've had.it can get up in the 90's sometime's. I tryed norvac it didn't really bring my bp down much..shayne....

Old 02-21-2005, 05:17 AM   #8
    Oklahoma
    (male)

Oklahoma HB User

Thanks for the responses. The HCTZ was 25mg (once a day). I am continuing to take the Norvasc. I have just taken my 3rd HCTZ pill. So far, I haven't seen any change in my BP since adding the HCTZ. Should the results with HCTZ be pretty much immediate???

Old 02-21-2005, 05:34 AM   #9
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

OKLAHOMA<

Thiazides show dramatic drops in BP IF you are somewhat edematous from high sodium intake. If you are at dry weight, you will see very little change in either.

I like this aspect of HCTZ that seems to work better when you need it to!

I think Norvasc tends to treat the salt sensistive more than most classes of BP meds (Pal can correct me on that one) so the thiazide addition might have aspects of "carrying coals to Newcastle" to it.

In any case, since 25 mg is a small dose, the effect won't be huge.

Old 02-21-2005, 08:16 AM   #10
    mrmojo

mrmojo HB User

pal7778 - not sure why HCTZ caused weight gain, & it doesnt in everyone

I would think a diuretic would cause some limited weight loss, but after looking back at the data & when my meds were changed, thats probably it - when I was first put on the benicar, the weight gain wasnt much, I had a hernia at the time & wasnt working out, later my doc added HCTZ & i started gaining more weight, I was working out by then, then he upped the dose of both & I really gained weight

I got up to 270 lb & felt like crap so i quit taking the meds, I lost 25 lb in about 6 weeks, using the same workout schedule I was while gaining the weight

Old 02-21-2005, 02:16 PM   #11
    bharkins
    Veteran
    (female)

bharkins HB User

I have been on HCTZ and can attest to the fact that it does indeed cause weight gain. In fact, I never had a weight problem until I was put on BP meds.

Old 02-21-2005, 03:18 PM   #12
    mrmojo

mrmojo HB User

if i could lose another 20 lb i dont think i would have high BP - I might be "pre-hypertensive", but I could live with that

I'm about convinced my BP problems are from my lungs not being 100% from working in a grain mill for 5 years & breathing all that dust

Old 02-22-2005, 09:25 AM   #13
    dianne12315

dianne12315 HB User

Do all BP meds cause weight gain?

I am on Diovan, Metoprolol, Inspra & Lasix. I have been trying to lose weight for a few months now and it seems as though I just can't take it off. It's getting really frustrating. The doctors tell us to lose weight then put us on meds that make you keep the weight on.

I did my own experiment a few weeks ago and I am convinced that Lasix raises your cholesterol. 2 weeks before I knew I was going for Lab work I stopped taking it. My cholesterol went from 229 to 187. I wish my weight would do the same thing.

I'm now thinking of stopping my medication for two weeks to see if I lose any weight. If I do then I'll know it was the medication.

Last edited by dianne12315; 02-22-2005 at 09:26 AM.

Old 02-22-2005, 09:41 AM   #14
    mrmojo

mrmojo HB User

My cholesterol went up after being put on BP meds - I went on a no meat diet for a while & it even went up then, another case where diet & exercise didnt make any difference for me

Old 02-22-2005, 03:50 PM   #15
    mrmojo

mrmojo HB User

I just got a list of all my prescritions from the pharmacy to try to make some sense out of everything, & i was on benicar a lot longer than i thought, when the weight gain started was definitely when the HCTZ was added - first he added the HCTZ & about a month later he doubled the dose of both

Closed Thread