It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• severe hypertension/meds/kinda long

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-27-2005, 07:02 AM   #1
    dreamer89
    Inactive
    (female)

dreamer89 HB User
    severe hypertension/meds/kinda long

I just started a beta blocker a little over a month ago, torprol 25mg, sr is has barly touched the bp, so I have to go back to the docs tomorrow, at 25 mg the side effects have been minimal, at first frequent unrination (which wasn't sure if it was my diebetes insipidus or if the drug) and some fatigue. but the urination quit

my readings typically are 190's to 200's/ 100's and up. yesterday it was 160/98. this has been a problem since childhood, pressure I mean, I have several questions on this.

why do bp meds take a week or two to take effect? (Makes me think of antidepressants) there was a five year period where my bp was at lot lower tho still considered a bit high (like 140's 80's-90) while I was on elavil for migrain and sleep problems but I attribute it to the elavil.

second my history with bp meds including avapro and calcium channel blockers lopressor and even hawthrone and ginko biloba combo, (which by the way I did not take the herbs at same time as bp meds) still had the side effect of exercise intolerance, I mean it was real embarrassing to go hiking with my husband only to have to constantly stop and rest or catch my breath, and the hills, man having to stop every few feet to catch my breath or sit down was humilating, (and these are hills I have always walked with little problem before bp meds)

so I would quit, then later as the bp is still very high (depsite a good diet and vigourous exercise program) I start someting else and the same thing exercise intolerance. I hate it.

when I don't take bp meds I can hike the trails, even tho very overweight, but not on bp meds.

my question here is if what bp meds have the least effect on exercise tolerance, and if none how long have I got to live without bp meds before I have a heart attack?I am currently 41 and had bp problems since I was 10 years old. can you believe a 10 year old on bp meds? I was a thin thing then.

also I didnt know that angiostension 11 blockers caused loss of aldersterone, when I took it I did not have any problems with urination, but having diebetes insipidus (not to be confused with mellitus) may have something to do with that, meaning stay on the dehydrated side anyway despite meds for it,

how does the beta blocker torprol work? I know it blockes beta receptors in the brain, kidney and heart but what esle does it affect? I am currently working on improving my diet even more with a view for weight loss.

since this torprol is expensive is there a chemical equivalent that is cheaper?

thanks for any and all imput.

RR

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2005, 07:34 AM   #2
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: severe hypertension/meds/kinda long

Have you ever thought about trying an "Insulin Resistance" diet, in order to lose weight and lower blood pressure?

If interested, there is a thread here called: Does an "Insulin Resistance" diet improve blood pressure?

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=242229[/url]

Last edited by Machaon; 03-27-2005 at 07:35 AM.

Old 03-27-2005, 09:20 AM   #3
    Palamedes
    Veteran
    (male)

Palamedes HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreamer40
    why do bp meds take a week or two to take effect? (Makes me think of antidepressants) there was a five year period where my bp was at lot lower tho still considered a bit high (like 140's 80's-90) while I was on elavil for migrain and sleep problems but I attribute it to the elavil.
    This highly depends on the drug. For most drugs, there is an effect where there is still drug left over from the previous day. And, it can take a while for levels to build up to a steady state. And, then for others, it just takes a while for all the effects from the drug to come into play. For instance, an ACE and ARB will lower aldosterone which causes you to retain less sodium. But, this will take several days before this effect becomes significant.
    Quote:
    second my history with bp meds including avapro and calcium channel blockers lopressor and even hawthrone and ginko biloba combo, (which by the way I did not take the herbs at same time as bp meds) still had the side effect of exercise intolerance, I mean it was real embarrassing to go hiking with my husband only to have to constantly stop and rest or catch my breath, and the hills, man having to stop every few feet to catch my breath or sit down was humilating, (and these are hills I have always walked with little problem before bp meds)

so I would quit, then later as the bp is still very high (depsite a good diet and vigourous exercise program) I start someting else and the same thing exercise intolerance. I hate it.

when I don't take bp meds I can hike the trails, even tho very overweight, but not on bp meds.

my question here is if what bp meds have the least effect on exercise tolerance, and if none how long have I got to live without bp meds before I have a heart attack?I am currently 41 and had bp problems since I was 10 years old. can you believe a 10 year old on bp meds? I was a thin thing then.

also I didnt know that angiostension 11 blockers caused loss of aldersterone, when I took it I did not have any problems with urination, but having diebetes insipidus (not to be confused with mellitus) may have something to do with that, meaning stay on the dehydrated side anyway despite meds for it,
    Sounds like you've been on the drugs that are the best for exercise tolerance. ACEI, ARBs and some of the CCB's can actually improve exercise tolerance. Beta-blockers and diuretics typically have a negative effect on exercise performance.

Keep in mind that you may need to drink more fluids while on these drugs. But, I'd expect you to be able to perform as well as before.
    Quote:
    how does the beta blocker torprol work? I know it blockes beta receptors in the brain, kidney and heart but what esle does it affect? I am currently working on improving my diet even more with a view for weight loss.
    It is cardio specific - it mostly effects the heart. It slows down your heart and reduces the force of contraction. It also has some effect on the renin-angiotensin system as it reduces renin production from your kidneys. This should also lower aldosterone - but, not as significantly as an ACEI or ARB.
    Quote:
    since this torprol is expensive is there a chemical equivalent that is cheaper?
    Probably, the closest "cheap" thing would be atenolol. I am not a fan of either one of them. I believe their use should be reserved for folks with tachycardia or other heart disease - not for general BP control.

Pal

Old 03-30-2005, 11:09 AM   #4
    dreamer89
    Inactive
    (female)

dreamer89 HB User

yea I took lotrel, and before the lotrel something else that was a calcium channel blocker but can't remember, and avapro and it decreased my stamina in walking that is why I quit it, it didn't have any other side effects that I can remember, I know this will sound weird, since I have been told that there are no symptoms of high blood pressure, but I have noticed since taking torprol xl now at 50 mg since monday 25 mg started on feb the third week, at first I was real tired and wanted to sleep all the time,

but I noticed that as the side effects improved that I actaully feel better, I mean I am a little tired but it is a different tired then before, I mean I have a more energy then before and my jaw doesn't hurt anymore. even tho I have to sit down more if involved in a vigourus activity like working in my yard walking and picking up stuff and doing housework, I noticed I can go longer overall then before.

and I don't feel as headachy like before, which may be related to the jaw pain. I am a little duh mentally wise or spacey somewhat but overall I feel better than I thought I would, except I think my sleep is being effected somewhat too, but I am not sure on that one yet since I have had trouble with it most of the time before I even took anything and will have to wait and see, except when I was taking elavil for those five years there then sleep problems was more like I can't get up and start my day sleep problem. lol.

the true test will come in time with regard to sleep and hiking. by the way even tho I took all those meds, my pressure didn't come down that much. It was still staying in the 140's/upper 80' -lower 90's. this beta blocker seems to have brought it down quite a few points just at 25 mg now that I am on 50 hopfully that will be it, in fact I told the doctor I am not going any higher no matter what.

RR

Old 03-31-2005, 05:30 AM   #5
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

dreamer,

If toprol made your jaw stop hurting and allowed to you work longer in the yard, my best guess is that you have angina that is radiating to your jaw. It's not at all uncommon. The PRECISE hypertension med for angina is a beta-blocker, in fact that's why they were invented, except they found they could SELL more by going with the BP angle. I would expect them to make someone with angina feel much better.

Far, FAR cheaper are the generics like propranolol, atenolol, and nadolol (unfortunately NOT alcohOL.)
    As a sub for the metoprolol (Toprol) I'd choose the cardio-selective atenolol as the closest cheapy alternative.

Last edited by Lenin; 03-31-2005 at 05:32 AM.

Old 04-01-2005, 02:21 PM   #6
    dreamer89
    Inactive
    (female)

dreamer89 HB User

I will ask my doctor about it, I checked out about angina on web search and I don't have any of the symptoms such as there is absoulutly no pain on exertion, I walk/jog on the treadmill and outside and no pain, not even in my jaw, but at times I feel a little tense and I guess I feel it in my jaw, the pain doesn't radiate and hurts mostly when I am watching tv or just sitting doing nothing, there is no shortness of breath or anything like that.

I am glad lenin that you brought it up, I still will however talk to my doctor since it is important for him to know everything that is going on even if it is a condition unrelated to my high bp, it could be a sign of a problem else where and the high bp may be a side effect of it, who knows.

I did have a bad bout of jaw pain yesterday that bothered me all day, but when I exercised on the treadmill it didn't hurt for a while but after resting it started back up worse then before, so I took one of my elavils (10mg) and in about an hour and a half the pain subsided.

I only use elavil occassionally since it helps with the jaw pain and helps me when I have bouts of insomnia that lasts more than a night or two. so I average about 3 days a month so I don't use it often.

I really don't like medications, I like to use them sparingly, including asprin. I hate the fact I need hbp meds but I don't want to be miserable and I don't want a heart attack, I am working on my weight but that will be slow as I want it to be permenent loss. not like times past where I would lose five pounds in a week, I would prefer five pounds in a month.

RR

Old 04-02-2005, 05:01 AM   #7
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

RR,
    Elavil is a POTENT tricyclic antidepressant that really shouldn't be used sporadically. If you are looking for a similar drug that is specifically useful for muscle spasm, give FLEXERIL a try. It's also a sleep inducer but doesn't have all the "weirdy" mescaline-like effects of elavil (but SOME).

Old 04-02-2005, 11:03 AM   #8
    dreamer89
    Inactive
    (female)

dreamer89 HB User

what do you mean by mescaline? I used to take elavil for five years everyday for chronic non stop headaches, the nuerologist put me on it after a zillion tests, and I got tired of being tired during the day and stopped, it too awhile tho I had to gradually get off it like 6 months taper,

I will look at flexeril.

RR

Closed Thread