It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Mixing CCB's and ARB's question ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2005, 03:11 PM   #1
    Stumper
    Inactive
    (male)

Stumper HB User
    Mixing CCB's and ARB's question ?

Today after ending my fast I am going to no longer use the Atenolol. If anything come good out of the fast it would be that but I cannot really say that Atenolol was my worst enemy either.

Having said that I need a little BP med this morning as I began to feel it again a little as it rose. I have 3 meds here that I can use. Verapamil gave me headaches, Cozaar gave me smaller headaches and atenolol gave me very little headaches but lowered my heartrate to low.

I have tried mixing both Verapamil and the Beta with little relief from headaches. Today I decided to try something totally different and try mixing a little Verapamil 60Mg. with a small amount of Cozzar 25mg.

Felt good and lowered my BP with no headaches as of yet!

My question is that is mixing CCB and ARB a common practice?

Last edited by Pumper; 03-30-2005 at 03:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2005, 04:12 PM   #2
    CASSIEBEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CASSIEBEL HB User
    Re: Mixing CCB's and ARB's question ?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pumper
    My question is that is mixing CCB and ARB a common practice?
    I have only heard good things about the combo. If I can get off atenolol I would like to try it
    Cass

Old 03-30-2005, 04:33 PM   #3
    Palamedes
    Veteran
    (male)

Palamedes HB User

Yep, that is a very effective combo. In fact, the ARB will also reduce edema caused by a CCB. Though, verapamil isn't as bad as amlodipine. I'm surprised nobody makes a combo CCB+ARB. There are enough generic CCB's available that it certainly seems doable.

Pal

Old 03-30-2005, 04:55 PM   #4
    Stumper
    Inactive
    (male)

Stumper HB User

Thanks guys,

This is good to hear. I have tried so many BP meds, mostly ARBs , which are all very affective but left me with headaches.
    For that matter I have not tried a BP med yet that was not affective in lowering my BP.
    I will know how well this combo will work in a few days. It did lower my BP today quite nicely but headaches always appear after a few days. If this works good and I feel good then I am going to go with it, at least, until I see the Doc on April 18th.

The Verapamil is cheap enough, the Cozzar is more expensive but its worth it if it works well.

I tried Coreg which is a mixture of Beta and dilator. That stuff came out of he** as far as I'm concerned.
    I had pains and aches I never knew I had.

Old 03-30-2005, 07:27 PM   #5
    pal7778
    Veteran
    (male)

pal7778 HB User

It's my combo and it works well without any serious side effects. I buy the thought
    that the ccb has the advantage of strength and the arb protects you against some of its dangers--swelling, conceivably kidney damage etc.

Old 04-01-2005, 12:31 PM   #6
    Stumper
    Inactive
    (male)

Stumper HB User

EEYAAAHHH!!

I might FINAllY have hit the nail on the head. This combo so far is working really well with no headaches to speak of. I hope it continues for a week at least to know for sure.
    I have tried so many ARB's and have had nothing but headaches. I tried Verapamil which was the best of all but left me with a headache up the back of my head. But the combo of Verapamil and cozaar is working quite well. I feel like I am 30 again! Tremendous endurance.

The only adjustment I did today was instead of using 25Mg. of cozaar with 60 Mg. of verapamil I increased the Cozzar a bit to 50Mg. and the affect felt even better. I had to use this combo twice today though and I feel great.
    I hope it continues.

I may just try taking it all at once in the morning to see if it will hold throughout the day with just once daily dosing. In other words 120Mg. of Verapamil and 100Mg. of cozaar.

Individually either one of these taken alone will give me headaches. But both together they do not,,, so far. Go figure

Of course tommorrow is another day

Old 04-01-2005, 12:35 PM   #7
    Stumper
    Inactive
    (male)

Stumper HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pal7778
    It's my combo and it works well without any serious side effects. I buy the thought
    that the ccb has the advantage of strength and the arb protects you against some of its dangers--swelling, conceivably kidney damage etc.

Pal,
    What exactly do you take and how many Mgs.? How often?

Old 04-04-2005, 12:00 PM   #8
    pal7778
    Veteran
    (male)

pal7778 HB User

I take avapro 300 and tiazac 240. The dosages probably could be reduced, but
    without side effects my incentive to do so is minimal. In both cases, the dosage
    required depends on a lot of factors and varies with the individual.

Closed Thread