It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Alpha-Blockers

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-10-2005, 05:33 AM   #1
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Alpha-Blockers

Has anyone used any of the alpha blockers for hypertension. Names like Cardura, Minipres and Hytrin (all generically ending in -zosin?)
    Would you share your results both good and bad?

Do you think it would be an alternative to a diuretic for a very salt dependent hypertensive like me. I've been taking thiazides for over 2 decades and I'm afraid that the long dosage will rear up and bite me soon. I really seem to have no response (well, none good) to either ACEI or ARB classes although beta-blockers DO work well but I can't live with the side effects!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2005, 11:32 AM   #2
    donnab
    (female)

donnab HB User
    Re: Alpha-Blockers

I was treated for Hypertension with Alpha Blockers, but only becuase it was due to Pheochromocytoma. With that, Alpha Blockers are the only thing that works to get the BP down. I took Prazosin as I was going into Hypertensive Crisis on a daily basis. They needed to get my BP down quickly. I started out taking 3 a day and was up to 16 a day when I was finally blocked and had my BP under control.

I would look into the side effects of Alpha Blockers, especially if you are a male and probably only take them if it's your only alternative to control your Blood Pressure. They made me very tired all of the time and also made my heart race. They had to give me diltiazen to help with that until I was blocked and they could add Beta Blockers.

Last edited by donnab; 04-10-2005 at 11:33 AM.

Old 04-10-2005, 01:34 PM   #3
    zuzu8
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Lenin,
    I only know a little about one of the alphas..clonidine (Catapres). It's very sedating and about 1/3 of patients experience this side effect which is a greater percentage [I believe] than the fatigue factor caused by the betas.

zuzu xx

Old 04-11-2005, 04:56 AM   #4
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Thanks, kids.

My doctor mention alpha-blockers and a few minutes later I asked what he knew about clonidine. He said it was a benzodiazepine. I didnt feel likke arguing but I think he was thinking of clonazepam... . I said, some people are taking are taking it for HBP and he said, yeah, maybe it would lower pressure.

Why he hasn't yet been strangled in his office is a mystery to me.

I could do with something sedating at night if it would replace half or more of my HZTZ (now 50 mg...and ALL that I take for BP since I've decided my losartan was adding NOTHING good to the picture.)

Maybe my cardio will have a better idea about clonidine for me. I have a referral in hand and will see him after I deal with the true horror of life: THE DENTIST!

Last edited by Lenin; 04-11-2005 at 04:57 AM.

Old 04-11-2005, 07:17 AM   #5
    rigel434
    (male)

rigel434 HB User

Do some web searches on ALLHAT and alpha blockers and you'll see that the National Institutites of Health stopped using alpha blockers in their huge clinical trials of various bp medicines because the medicine was clearly hurting patients. Can't think of a more definitive recommendation against using them.

Closed Thread