It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Lisinopril/zestril and thigh pain, rib pain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-27-2005, 01:48 PM   #1
    Rorie
    (female)

Rorie HB User
    Lisinopril/zestril and thigh pain, rib pain?

I have been taking a very tiny dose of lisinopril (1.25 mg) for almost two years now. Gradually I've developed pain in my right thigh and my right ribs. I keep adding to the list of my symptoms...now I get burning in my upper arms and right ribs. I have several tender spots on my right side.

I've been complaining for months about these things, and my doctor has done blood work with not a whole lot showing up. He recently told me he thinks it is the lisinopril. He told me to stop it, so I have for 2 days now. I knew that I couldn't take more than the 1.25 mg or I would feel really dizzy, but I didn't realize it might be causing all these other pains.

I also have been getting blood clots lately. Do you think all this could be from the lisinopril? My doctor does. It is strange that almost all my symptoms are on the right side...even the blood clots. Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2005, 05:31 PM   #2
    HELLASRULES
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User
    Re: Lisinopril/zestril and thigh pain, rib pain?

Hi Rorie, I, too, am taking Lisinopril (20mg/day) fro HBP. Before that, Zestril, and before that Vasotec. All the same...just diff names. I've never been thrilled with how I've felt on it either. Did some internet research on it awhile back. Don't recall seeing any of the symptoms you have, though. But, I think we all have diff reactions to the meds they prescribe. It makes my sister, groggy & dopey (personally I think she always has been!), so she takes it at night. I get dizzy and the dry, tickly cough from it. But it controls my BP, so...I 've continued with it. Personally, I think it causes my bladder control problems....I've been taking some variation of it since I was 30, and I've had to run to the bathroom since a week after I started using it. Coincidence???
    In a 30 yr old??? My dr always thinks I'm crazy when I mention stuff like that. While researching Lisinopril on the net I read somewhere that it was derived from some venomous So.American snake!!! True??? I don't know...but wouldn't surprise me. They make drugs from all kinds of wierd things. ALso read that allergic reactions can occur, even after taking it for years, so I guess anything is possible. There are plenty of meds for High BP out there, so I think you & your dr can find one that is right for you. Some side effects are tolerable, some aren't. Could side effects only show up on one side? Maybe. Funny about the ribs, though....I started out on these boards a few weeks ago because I have been having extreme rib pain, that no one can diagnose. Just started with a cold & cough...excess Bradykinin in the lungs??? Another side effect of Lisinopril...guess I'll go check that one out...Thanks, you may have helped me, too!

Old 04-29-2005, 02:06 PM   #3
    Exegesis
    Veteran
    (male)

Exegesis HB UserExegesis HB User

Greetings,

I took Lisonipril for 3 months. Started with 10mg. After two days I had severe stomach pain. I didn't connect the dots as I was experiencing nausea as well prior to taking the drug. Anyway, long story short, after several trips to the Doc along with an expensive CT scan of the abdomen, I cut back to 5 mg. a day and noticed some improvement. Then cut to 2.5 mg. Now I don't take any. My gastric pain still comes and goes, but it is nowhere near as bad as the ulcer like symptoms I was having.

This may be a coincidence, or it could be that I have been worrying too much about my BP and it has caused other problems. I don't know. But, I wouldn't rule out the side effect angle. Hey, somebody has to have them, right?

BTW, my pain was also both on my left and right side, just below the rib cage.

Regards, Brenden.

Last edited by Exegesis; 04-29-2005 at 02:07 PM.

Old 04-29-2005, 04:17 PM   #4
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

I took 30 mg Lisinopril for four years, then 10 mg for an additional year. During that time I had no side-effects that I attributed to the medication. I've been off Lisinopril now about 14 weeks. And about three weeks ago, I developed an off-again, on-again pain in my right hamstring. While I attributed it to the squatting I did during gardening, the fact that it is still there after three weeks has made me wonder if it could be a side-effect of one of the meds I'm taking. (Obviously not Lisinopril, since I've been off that for weeks.) But I have wondered if it is possible to get a side-effect like that from a med on only one side. I'd appreciate further comments on that.

Old 04-29-2005, 06:06 PM   #5
    Rorie
    (female)

Rorie HB User

My doctor would say yes, it is possible to get side effects only on one side. In fact, I've been complaining of symptoms only on one side for a year or so now, and he finally told me it is from the lisinopril, and he said, "And that would explain why you only have problems on one side." That didn't make sense to me, but it seemed to make perfect sense to him!

I also have a strange ringing, bell-like sound in my right ear now...could this be from the lisinopril also?

Old 04-29-2005, 08:54 PM   #6
    Tick Tock

Tick Tock HB User

from rxlist - here is a snippet of the possible side effects:

Musculoskeletal: Arthritis, arthralgia, neck pain, hip pain, low back pain, joint pain, leg pain, knee pain, shoulder pain, arm pain, lumbago.

and

Special Senses: Visual loss, diplopia, blurred vision, tinnitus, photophobia, taste disturbances.

Tinnitus is ringing in ears...

Sounds like they are all possible from lisinopril...

Old 05-25-2005, 03:06 PM   #7
    dreamer89
    Inactive
    (female)

dreamer89 HB User

i have been having bad back pain on standing and walking for a few minutes and tension there too where before taking lisinopril I didn't have, altace only caused it slightly, I take 10 mg lisinopril, I had a feeling it might be the ace inhibitor either a direct side effect or caused by a reduction in oxygen utilization (or abilty to get enough while walking).

it made me sleepy for a couple of days and all I did was sleep but it quit. now I feel pretty good except for the reduction in stamina to continuous exercise now I have to stop every few minutes to catch my breath either by leaning (when jogging and walking workouts or walking up hills) or sitting down, back hurts alot too when I am walking for more than a few minutes something that never bothered me before.

RR

Old 07-07-2005, 08:25 AM   #8
    fmc
    (male)

fmc HB User

I have been on Norvasc for 3 years and Lisinopril for 6 months. About 2 years ago I got a pain in my inner right thigh. The doctor said I pulled my Groin muscle. About 6 months ago I got the same pain in my left thigh. The doctor changed me to Lisinopril. Well today the pain in my left leg is so BAD that I can not walk. Going back to the doctor the first of the week to get something done I'm tired of this .

Last edited by fmc; 07-07-2005 at 08:26 AM.

Closed Thread