It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Tenormin Discontinuation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-02-2005, 07:36 PM   #1
    don444
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User
    Tenormin Discontinuation

A few weeks ago my MD told me to stop taking Tenormin 25mg. He did not say anything about tapering the dosage. However, I did cut the tablets in half and took 12.5mg for a week and then broke that down into quarters for a few days. Now I am not taking any and the only problem I seem to be having is an occasional feeling of shortness of breath but I am not breathing heavy or hyperventilating. I have been on Tenormin for over ten years and I think that the SOB is an anxiety symptom. My heart rate has increased from 58 to 68 and my BP remains normal. Comments appreciated, thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2005, 08:29 PM   #2
    zuzu8
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
    Re: Tenormin Discontinuation

Donsabi,

Is it true shortness of breath (breathing is more labored or forceful) or the feeling that you can't get a "satisfying breath"?...the latter being a classic anxiety reaction.

zuzu xx

Old 05-02-2005, 08:50 PM   #3
    CASSIEBEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Donsabi,
    Getting off a beta blocker has proven to be an impossible task for me. I envy you. Is 25mgs the max dose you have ever taken?

I got down to 12.5 and started to have all kinds of problems from rebound hypertension to super charged anxiety including shortness of breath (the anxiety based shortness of breath) I had to start adding the atenolol back to get my BP down from the high 190s / 90s. I'm now back on 50mgs and feeling lethargic and depressed.

Cass

Old 05-03-2005, 07:19 AM   #4
    mgraylorn
    Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Wow, normal bp. That's great. And your heart rate increase is not bad. Based on my experiences getting off Toprol, the side effects and withdrawal symptoms will decrease over time. Just try to relax through those shortness of breath periods and they should decrease over time.

Is there any seasonal component to your breathing problems? Might you have a bit of asthma?

Old 05-03-2005, 12:26 PM   #5
    don444
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

zuzu8
    My breathing is normal but feels occasionally unsatisfied. Last night I took 12.5mg Tenormin and I had no SOB today. It must be anxiety.

Cass,
    I started with 50mg Tenormin about ten years ago. Once my MD tried to switch me to Toprol and within four days I had such severe anxiety and panic attacks I had to stop the Toprol and resume the Tenormin. Three years ago a new MD reduced the med to 25mg and I had a difficult time with that. I tapered down very slowly for about a month before the anxiety subsided. Now the newer MD told me to stop taking it. Easier said than done! Without Tenormin I was getting SOB and I assume it is an anxiety symptom. Last night I took 12.5mg and today I am not having any problems. I think I will have to taper down extremely slowly. I wish the medical professionals would have warned me about the fact that I would become dependent on Tenormin. If so, I would have never started it.

mgraylorn,
    I donít think my SOB is due to anything but anxiety.

Thanks to all!

Old 05-03-2005, 02:16 PM   #6
    CASSIEBEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by donsabi
    I wish the medical professionals would have warned me about the fact that I would become dependent on Tenormin. If so, I would have never started it.
    Me too. And there wasn't any way to get information on medicine when I started taking it. If I had known I would have never taken that first pill.
    I feel like I am stuck on it for the rest of my life.
    I hope you have success. Just go slow.
    Cass

Old 05-06-2005, 06:52 PM   #7
    Looly
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User

Curious to know if while anyone was tapering off Atenolol if a symptom of sweating occurred. I have started weaning, 12.5 in AM and 12.5 in PM and have been sweating all day.

Old 05-06-2005, 07:42 PM   #8
    don444
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I had no sweating at all. I am having anxiety and SOB from time to time.

Old 05-07-2005, 04:46 AM   #9
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Epinephrine and Norepinephrine are the two main fight-or-flight hormones produced by the body to save us from impending death. These hormones have INNUMERABLE consequences. Blocking these hormones from attaching to receptors for years and years causes the body to produce more and more and MORE of them in order to get us to jump away from a runaway bus or keep our hearts beating during a heart attack.

When the beta-blockers are removed this storm of catecholamines (as the group of pressor hormaones is called) can be overwhelming in SO many ways. Only time will let the overworked adrenal glands return to normal production...so that not EVERYTHING is met with a "fight or flight" response.

When I had angina, my shortness of breath on exertion tended to be rapid and shallow...gasping, if you will.

Last edited by Lenin; 05-07-2005 at 04:51 AM.

Old 05-08-2005, 02:47 PM   #10
    don444
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin,
    Thanks for the post it explains much of what is happening.
    I am still enduring the anxiety although it is not as bad.
    One odd thing that I noticed is that when I exert myself my breathing does
    not seem to adjust. In other words, upon exertion I should be breathing deeper and more often, I find that my breathing remains at the slow rate and I must intentionally breath deeper and faster. Could this be because of the long term use of Tenormin or is it my imagination?
    I can't trust my BP monitor but my pulse was around 58-62 on Tenormin and is now about 68-72. I see my MD the end of the week and will post
    his comments.

Old 05-08-2005, 04:58 PM   #11
    Looly
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I too am trying to wean myself from this drug. When I got down from 25 mg to 12.5I felt like I had terrible anxiety problems. I originally was on 50 mg. Getting down to 25 mg was no problem. Who would have thought I'd have one on this low dose. Can someone explain how this drug affects our adrenals? Could that be the reason that I have been getting extremely hot and extremely cold? Is it this drug, or something worse? Thanks for replies.

Old 05-08-2005, 06:01 PM   #12
    CASSIEBEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lolasmom
    I too am trying to wean myself from this drug. When I got down from 25 mg to 12.5I felt like I had terrible anxiety problems. I originally was on 50 mg. Getting down to 25 mg was no problem. Who would have thought I'd have one on this low dose. Can someone explain how this drug affects our adrenals? Could that be the reason that I have been getting extremely hot and extremely cold? Is it this drug, or something worse? Thanks for replies.
    It's the drug, I was on 50mgs, got down to 12.5 and felt just like you. I had to go back up. I got so anxious my BP was a constant 170-190/high 90s. My problem is that I need another drug to get my BP under 130/70 and there aren't any that will mix with atenolol.
    So I'm stuck at at least 140s/80s and some times higher.
    I hope everybody that can get off the beta blockers will before it's too late.
    I've just been on it way to long.
    Cass

Old 05-08-2005, 07:26 PM   #13
    Looly
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Cass - so I presume you're still on the same med? It's really starting to wear me down. Sometimes I feel like I have a problem other than the meds and really start to worry. My pressure usually is 115-119/63-70. Except for those damn spikes that happen every so often. So, I tried tonight again, with the 12.5 mg. Guess I feel brave -!

Old 05-09-2005, 08:24 AM   #14
    mgraylorn
    Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Cassiebell, there are several drugs that can be taken with atenolol. I think all the major bp drug classes can. It isn't a good idea to take atenolol with clonidine, but I think that is the only one.

Have you talked with your doctor about wanting to get off atenolol and being switched to another med? Besides, you would only be overlaping a short while while you got off the beta blocker.

Old 05-09-2005, 12:17 PM   #15
    CASSIEBEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lolasmom
    Cass - so I presume you're still on the same med? It's really starting to wear me down. Sometimes I feel like I have a problem other than the meds and really start to worry. My pressure usually is 115-119/63-70. Except for those damn spikes that happen every so often. So, I tried tonight again, with the 12.5 mg. Guess I feel brave -!
    Yes, I had to go back to 50mgs. I was having spikes near 200 systolic along with the anxiety. I don't have a good cardiologist that will help me through He just wants to increase my meds or add more.
    I do wish you luck. I think your BP will even out in time.
    Cass

Closed Thread