It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Did anyone watch Oprah today?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-03-2005, 03:10 PM   #1
    red-rider
    (female)

red-rider HB User
    Did anyone watch Oprah today?

Her guest was a doctor/health expert who gave many tips on staying healthy and fighting disease. He addressed blood pressure and said the ideal was 115/75! I am on Diovan 80mg and mine is never that low. I have readings of 140's and 150 over high 80's. The majority of the time it is 130's over 80 something. The expert said 120/80 didn't apply anymore. How could the experts be wrong all these decades? Is there any such thing as blood pressure ALWAYS staying consistently low? whether on meds or not? I'm very curious to hear comments from you all!
    R.R.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2005, 03:29 PM   #2
    Stumper
    Inactive
    (male)

Stumper HB User
    Re: Did anyone watch Oprah today?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by red-rider
    Her guest was a doctor/health expert who gave many tips on staying healthy and fighting disease. He addressed blood pressure and said the ideal was 115/75! I am on Diovan 80mg and mine is never that low. I have readings of 140's and 150 over high 80's. The majority of the time it is 130's over 80 something. The expert said 120/80 didn't apply anymore. How could the experts be wrong all these decades? Is there any such thing as blood pressure ALWAYS staying consistently low? whether on meds or not? I'm very curious to hear comments from you all!
    R.R.

Hi Red,
    Blood pressure will vary whether or not you are on meds or off. The doc is right in that ranges of 115/75-117/74 are indeed "optimal" ranges.
    I have had pressures like this on occassions but mine tends to jump during the day into the 140,s causing me to feel it in my head or a headache.

Blood pressure is really really funny as it can really get jumpy sometimes.
    Try taking yours before you go to bed and when you first get up. I would be interested in your readings.

Old 05-03-2005, 04:45 PM   #3
    mghealth
    (male)

mghealth HB User
    Question Re: Did anyone watch Oprah today?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stumper
    I have had pressures like this on occassions but mine tends to jump during the day into the 140,s causing me to feel it in my head or a headache.

Wow, really? A headache? That's wierd. At those times I get myself worked up and I cause my BP to up to around 160/110, I never experience headaches. Maybe it's the headaches that are causing your elevated BP? I know that pain can cause BP to rise.

Old 05-03-2005, 04:51 PM   #4
    redherring

redherring HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by red-rider
    R.R.
    You know, I believe my BP has NEVER been under 120/80 in my life time. Even when I was 30lbs lighter and running 30 miles a week. Since the *new* standards have come out, my doctor has been nagging me to go on HBP meds. I told her that I should lose this extra weight that I'm carrying first, then I will consider meds.

BTW, My BP runs HIGH when I see her or other doctors (140/80 - 150/90)since she started nagging me about my BP. I have white coat syndrome at home. The mere feel and sound of the cuff inflating sends me into a tailspin.

I've been tracking my BP at home (when I can stand the cuff lol) and it averages between 125/80 to 135/85.

Old 05-03-2005, 06:35 PM   #5
    pal7778
    Veteran
    (male)

pal7778 HB User

115/75 is the point that's been identified where you bp does you no long-term health damage at all. The risk grows from that point onward. But the risk, although it doubles, remains small (for those otherwise healthy) until 135-40. It's a sliding scale,
    and lower blood pressure is always better than higher. Although no study may show it now, common sense says that 100 is better than 115. That doesn't translate to the conclusion that the goal of bp medicine is to get your down to 115, because the medicine itself is not danger-free. So a reasonable compromise for lots of people is to take enough medicine to get the bp into the 120s or low 130s most of the time.

Old 05-03-2005, 07:15 PM   #6
    Stumper
    Inactive
    (male)

Stumper HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mghealth
    Wow, really? A headache? That's wierd. At those times I get myself worked up and I cause my BP to up to around 160/110, I never experience headaches. Maybe it's the headaches that are causing your elevated BP? I know that pain can cause BP to rise.
    Mghealth,

Actually, prior to a doctor noticing a rise in my BP on one particular visit I never had headaches at all, really nearly never.
    It seems like I am sensitive to BP when it gets in the 140's or so in that regard. I actually consider it a blessing of sorts because it lets me know I need to do something to get it down. If I do not I wind up with a BP headache and it is very distingiushable from a normal off the cuff headache.
    But I watch sodium very carefully and have started on Vytorin for cholesterol. It is a fact that cholesterol meds can have small but significant lowering of BP and I might just go off of meds all together. The doc says the Vytorin would help BP and he would like to see me off of BP meds. I take very little now and today took none and BP was 121/79.
    So I am hopeful

BTW, my brother come running over the other day and wanted to use my BP machine. He said he felt something in his head and sure enough his BP was 140/92! So even he was sensitive to the rise. I asked him what he ate and he said he had PIZZA earlier. Yeah, at 600Mg. perslice THAT is why it shot up I told him.
    Next day his came back down.

But you are right for sure. Pain can cause BP to rise.

Old 05-03-2005, 07:36 PM   #7
    Stumper
    Inactive
    (male)

Stumper HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by redherring
    You know, I believe my BP has NEVER been under 120/80 in my life time. Even when I was 30lbs lighter and running 30 miles a week. Since the *new* standards have come out, my doctor has been nagging me to go on HBP meds. I told her that I should lose this extra weight that I'm carrying first, then I will consider meds.

BTW, My BP runs HIGH when I see her or other doctors (140/80 - 150/90)since she started nagging me about my BP. I have white coat syndrome at home. The mere feel and sound of the cuff inflating sends me into a tailspin.

I've been tracking my BP at home (when I can stand the cuff lol) and it averages between 125/80 to 135/85.

Red,

In my 30,s, I am now 49 I had blood pressure in the 130/80-84 range consistently and even into my very early 40's until about 42 years of age. During those years I felt tremendously good and strong, never a problem, slept well and worked hard outside.
    Then one day I started noticing these little "rushes" when I would stand up sometimes and then a headache to follow. One day in the docs office I get a 150/90 reading on a very very accurate Mercury machine. Doc brought my attention to it, said to let it go for awhile, and if it keeps it up can give me something for it. I began to track it and felt the general rise throughout the day into the 140's or sometimes 150's ranges. Time for meds and sodium reduction!

If you watch you may find a "pattern" in your BP which MIGHT make it easier to treat.

Last edited by Stumper; 05-03-2005 at 07:39 PM.

Old 05-03-2005, 08:57 PM   #8
    skylark
    (female)

skylark HB User

what did you think of the Dr. telling everyone in the audience about one woman's BP it was 250/120 yikes!!! I do think they shouldn't have said it to everyone. The woman just sat there with a look on her face that said "beam me up Scottie"

Old 05-04-2005, 12:34 AM   #9
    red-rider
    (female)

red-rider HB User

omg skylark,I know what you mean. That reading was sky high! I was having white coat just watching all those people in the waiting room having their's taken. It's funny because I never had high BP or needed a med until I started to have fast pulse and high BP at the docs office. Since anxiety and high BP go together there are times i think I have one,not the other and there are times when I have "both" together. I used to not give my BP a second thought,but when an endocrinologist put me on a beta blocker for 3 mos and I had super rapid pulse and Bp spikes that almost sent me to the hospital,it changed me forever. Diovan has helped but I am no where near 115/75. How can anyone have such low BP when they lead a normal life with normal ups and downs. Short of locking ones self up in a closet-there is no escaping stress!

Old 05-04-2005, 06:52 AM   #10
    pal7778
    Veteran
    (male)

pal7778 HB User

Strictly speaking, I read this morning, the optimal bp is 90/60, found among the natives of New Guinea who never experience heart disease of any kind. Overall,
    we still beat them when it comes to longevity. Less than optimal bp is the price we
    (almost) all pay for living "a normal life" in a high tech, stressful civilization. There are some MDs who believe that bp medicine should be used to get us all near 90/60, or at least anyone with any kind of significant risk. But that's nuts!--that aggressive a medicinal approach to one risk always creats others. My advice: Stay with the absolutely arbitrary but still sensible guideline of 140/90. If your bp is below that, relax and stay the course.

Old 05-04-2005, 03:47 PM   #11
    Exegesis
    Veteran
    (male)

Exegesis HB UserExegesis HB User

Greetings,

Don't you love the "critical thinkers" in the medical profession? The same ones who keep adjusting cholesterol levels, food pyramids, salt good/salt bad, this'll kill ya, then it won't. It drives me nuts!

Maybe the optimal blood pressure is 0/0. That's pretty easy to achieve! I know that there are good reasons to believe that lower is better. But the fact remains that life is a crap shoot. I've known heathy people that die young, I've known chain smoking boozers that are still alive at 83. My grandfather had hypertension, even though he ate well and walked everywhere, never drove. Died at 83. Probably would've lived longer if his wife didn't die 6 months prior.

If you take all the meds and get yourself down to 110/60 so your odds of getting a stroke are 2 in 100 versus 1 in 100, but you feel like crap on toast, whats the point?

Sorry, just venting.

Regards, Brenden.

Old 05-05-2005, 06:09 AM   #12
    pal7778
    Veteran
    (male)

pal7778 HB User

Life is a crap shoot. And there's every reason to be laidback when it comes to small effects on your odds.

Old 05-05-2005, 07:57 AM   #13
    redherring

redherring HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stumper
    Red,

In my 30,s, I am now 49 I had blood pressure in the 130/80-84 range consistently and even into my very early 40's until about 42 years of age. During those years I felt tremendously good and strong, never a problem, slept well and worked hard outside.
    Then one day I started noticing these little "rushes" when I would stand up sometimes and then a headache to follow. One day in the docs office I get a 150/90 reading on a very very accurate Mercury machine. Doc brought my attention to it, said to let it go for awhile, and if it keeps it up can give me something for it. I began to track it and felt the general rise throughout the day into the 140's or sometimes 150's ranges. Time for meds and sodium reduction!

If you watch you may find a "pattern" in your BP which MIGHT make it easier to treat.
    Hi Stumper,

I have those little rushes you've described. I attributed them to getting older, stress, etc. Yes, the doc wants to treat me with meds, I would like to lose the excess weight (which I'm doing with the South Beach Diet) and then see if my BP numbers are impacted.

I do track my BP every other day. Unfortunately, I suffer from white coat syndrome AT HOME (lol), which invaribly skews my numbers to the high side. I can't tell you how many times I've panic'd at home and ripped off the BP monitor cuff.

Closed Thread