It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• On Insulin Resistant diet since Dec 2004. Blood pressure, weight significantly lower.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-14-2006, 04:18 PM   #16
    Stumper
    Inactive
    (male)

Stumper HB User
    Re: On Insulin Resistant diet since Dec 2004. Blood pressure, weight significantly lower.

Quote:
    This is the first time that I have heard of using hormones, instead of blocking them, to lower blood pressure. Is this something new, or has it been around for a while?

Are you considering volunteering? If so, do you know if it is a Phase I, Phase II or Phase III clinical trial? In a Phase III, you only have a 50% chance of testing the hormone instead of getting a placebo.

Beerzoids,

Often, throughout the day as I travel I listen to Christian radio. They sometimes, like anyone else run such commercials, advertizements etc. I heard this one a few times BUT they were looking for women volunteers. I would not qualify
    They were requesting volunteers in their 40's. Apparently this can often be when alot of HBP occurs. I know mine did.
    I do not know alot of the details but they said it was hormonal related to HBP and it was clinical trials.

Personally, I think there is a connection. Men go through those hormone changes as well in their 40's, but it worthy of medical persuit and trial to see if it is so.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2006, 07:21 PM   #17
    pal7778
    Veteran
    (male)

pal7778 HB User
    Re: On Insulin Resistant diet since Dec 2004. Blood pressure, weight significantly lower.

It's hard to grasp exactly how bad potatoes are for people like us, and anything that's mainly refined flour is not far behind.

Old 01-17-2006, 05:59 PM   #18
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: On Insulin Resistant diet since Dec 2004. Blood pressure, weight significantly lo

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pal7778
    It's hard to grasp exactly how bad potatoes are for people like us, and anything that's mainly refined flour is not far behind.
    Giving up potatoes has been very difficult for me. At Thanksgiving or Christmas, I would often load my plate up with mashed potatoes and gravy. At many other times....... french fries with melted cheese sauce and a pitcher of beer. My God! That sounds soooooo good.

Those days are long gone.

But..... feeling good, having more energy, experiencing amazing improvements in my health, and doing things that I never thought I would be able do again, especially at my age, is well worth the changes that I have had to make to my lifestyle and environment, and well worth the efforts involved in keeping on a diet targeting Insulin Resistance. Hell, it wasn't that long ago that my cardiologist wanted me to make preparations for a heart transplant.

How long have you been on a resticted, or a low calorie diet?

⇒ Do it yourself SLIT greatly improved my asthma and MCS
    ⇒ I make my own dentures with moldable plastic pellets. Saves me $$$
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machaon; 01-17-2006 at 06:02 PM.

Old 01-18-2006, 06:19 AM   #19
    Stumper
    Inactive
    (male)

Stumper HB User

Quote:
    Giving up potatoes has been very difficult for me. At Thanksgiving or Christmas, I would often load my plate up with mashed potatoes and gravy. At many other times....... french fries with melted cheese sauce and a pitcher of beer. My God! That sounds soooooo good.

About potatoes.....

I actually know of a person (couple) here in Ohio that run a health food store. They are in their mid to late 40's and have a very large family (I think 7).
    At any rate she feels that potatoes are not fit for human consumption and has her many reasons for believing so. She also believes that corn is not fit for human consumption and is basically "cow food" and nothing more.

However, and that is a BIG however, they eat eggs EVERY morning, they believe in meat and plenty of other vegatables and whatever elses they consume.
    She claims their kids all ranging from perhaps 10-22 have NEVER been sick, no not so much as even a cold. I know it sounds hard to believe but if you seen the family they are all physically fit, muscular, and in tremendous condition from the eye. I saw her play volley ball last year and for having 7 kids she was quite shapely and mobile in the field of play.

But personally, I will never believe that eggs are bad for you. I think they are very good. For that matter I have heard of some kids who are ADHD going off of their meds with two eggs every morning. Also, I know that two eggs every morning coupled with a high protein diet will curb ones desire for sugar dramatically, perhaps even eliminating it. Doctors today still don't know it and I found this and PROVED it in an older Alternative medical book my mother left me. Alot of times Alcoholics are treated with high protien diets and thus lowers their desire for alcohol, or at least used to be if anyone knows about diet.
    So perhaps THIS is where this woman secret lies, is in the eggs, high protein plenty of vegatables lifestyle. Her whole family probably desires very little sugar or sweats and this contributes to overall fitness.

Old 01-18-2006, 06:27 AM   #20
    Stumper
    Inactive
    (male)

Stumper HB User

Beerzoids,

Yes, forgot to mention, ...I know the temptations of white potatoes. I grew up on them. Had them nearly every day from a family of 9. Mashed with gravy. Checkoslovakian (sp?) decent. Perogies filled with them Loved them.

BUT, aftyer 49 years all things must change and I switched over to sweet potatoes. Will they work? YUP... Nice alternative ! They are delicious fried ...try um. I think they are actually better in respects. Baked with cinnamon. Yup.. Good.
    Much more healthy and they are not nearly as hard on glucose levels. A much healthier alternative.

Interesting thing though is that if you eat a piece of raw white potato and a piece of sweet potato they taste very similar in the raw state.

Last edited by Stumper; 01-18-2006 at 06:29 AM.

Old 01-18-2006, 03:17 PM   #21
    pal7778
    Veteran
    (male)

pal7778 HB User

Interesting food posts.

Actually potatoes are good for you except for the carb problem, which for us is a mega-except. Corn probably really is not fit for human consumption. Potatoes
    are a reasonably hard habit to kick, but consider that they more than anything else--even, say, cheese cake--have been screwing you up.

I'm not on a low fat or low calorie diet, just low carb, which is much more effective.

So I say: Eat as many eggs as you want. Instead of fries and melted cheese, just
    eat the melted cheese. Scrape the tops off the pizza slices.

But still eat your veggies--high protein and vegetables is the way to go, but a good amount of fat won't hurt if you're careful with the carbs.

My real advice: Sweet potatoes are better, but not good enough. Let 'em go.

Closed Thread