It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• On Insulin Resistant diet since Dec 2004. Blood pressure, weight significantly lower.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-09-2005, 01:16 PM   #1
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    On Insulin Resistant diet since Dec 2004. Blood pressure, weight significantly lower.

I self-diagnosed myself as being insulin resistant on Dec 11, 2004. The clues were there. For many years, my blood pressure would increase all day long until at night (after 6pm). Then my blood pressure would start to get quite high and frequently got into the range of 180+/125+. Also, mostly at night, I was having increased breathing difficulties, and increased heart arrhythmias, especially after consuming foods with too many calories or carbohydrates. And...... I was about 20 pounds overweight with most of it being around my waist.

On Dec 11th, I changed my diet to target Insulin Resistance. I started eating small meals, five times per day, 1/2 cup of fiber and meat, 1/2 cup of a proper vegetable (mostly salad), with a few variations.

Since then, I've noticed improvements in my energy level, and in just feeling better. My blood pressure also was coming down a little, day by day. I've lost about 16% of my weight and am now at a very healthy weight. My belt has gone down three notches and I've had to buy a new belt. My clothes are baggy and I need to buy new clothes. It took about three weeks of this insulin resistant diet before my average evening blood pressure started to get lower. Currently my average evening blood pressure is quite low.

I've also had to make changes to my blood pressure medicines and their schedules. It makes me theorize that hormonal changes, caused by the improvements in my insulin resistance, are the reason why some of my blood pressure medicines started acting differently.

I've also found many things that cause increases in my blood pressure and/or arrhythmias and/or breathing problems and I still avoid those things. I was hoping that the improvements to my health caused by the insulin resistant diet would also make me less sensitive to various irritants, but, although there have been some improvements, it hasn't been the level that I had hoped for. So I've still got to be cautious of avoiding those things that will cause problems with blood pressure, arrhythmias, chest pains and breathing.

Week, after week, month after month, I have seen my average blood pressure continue to drop. Right now my average blood pressure is very close to being in the normal range for someone my age. For someone like me, who is also suffering from heart failure, being able to get my blood pressure nice and low, and to reduce the overall stress on my heart and circulatory system gives me a better chance to survive this nasty disease.

I got the idea for the diet from the following UCLA Arthur Ashe Student Health & Wellness Center, 2002 article about insulin resistance and diet, created by Sheri Barke, MPH, RD:

[url]http://www.snac.ucla.***/pages/Resources/Handouts/HODiabetesandInsulinResistance.pdf[/url]

Recent news articles have said that about 25% of Americans suffer from Insulin Resistance, especially those that are overweight around the middle. Just thought I would pass on this update just in case it can be of help to someone else with similar problems.

Last edited by Machaon; 07-01-2006 at 12:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2005, 03:03 PM   #2
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
    Re: On Insulin Resistant diet since Dec 2004. Blood pressure, weight significantly lower.

Interesting observations, beerzoids.

I've never been overweight and currently have a BMI of 20.0. Yet I, too, have found that eating lowers my blood pressure by a lot. So I reached the only logical conclusion: eat all day long! Of course, if I don't want to gain weight, I have to do like you did and reduce the size of the normal meals and eat good foods for the snacks.

Among my observations: My BP always seemed to be highest first thing in the morning. If I ate right away, my BP came down right away, but if I delayed eating for several hours, my BP remained high until I ate. So it made sense to me to have several more hours of lower BP per day by eating promptly after arising, even if that happens to be at 3:30 or 4:30 and I plan to go back to bed later. Also, on days when I had to fast for a blood test, my BP went especially high. Part of that might be "white coat" from seeing the doctor, but part was no doubt that I was fasting for many more hours than I would normally. Usually I eat dinner or a large snack just before retiring at night, and since I rarely can sleep more than four or five hours at a time, I almost always have at least a glass of juice when I wake up at 3:30 or 4:30, and often a handful of nuts or something, even if I don't actually eat "breakfast" then.

Do I, too, have insulin resistence? Maybe. I know that my blood sugar has been hovering just over and just under 100 with most readings in the past few months. I also know that I have one brother (out of five siblings) who has become diabetic in the past couple of years, so I know I have to watch it.

I haven't checked out the reference you listed yet on the insulin resistent diet, but will do so.

Old 09-09-2005, 07:28 PM   #3
    redherring

redherring HB User
    Re: On Insulin Resistant diet since Dec 2004. Blood pressure, weight significantly lo

I thought BP increases after eating?

Old 09-09-2005, 11:56 PM   #4
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Re: On Insulin Resistant diet since Dec 2004. Blood pressure, weight significantly lo

Quote:
    Originally Posted by redherring
    I thought BP increases after eating?
    Maybe it does for younger people; I don't know. (I've read that older people, especially, often have BP which goes down considerably after meals. Whether that means that younger people's usually just goes down a little, stays the same, or goes up they didn't say.) All I know is that I've checked mine before and after meals a number of times and it usually goes down at least ten points systolic, occasionally 20 points. On those rare occasions it goes up, I know there is some food I consumed to which I have an abnormal reaction.

Have you checked your own BP before and after meals? Try it. And see if some foods bring it down more than others. That's how I found that eating my large vegetable salads, especially those containing broccoli and asparagus, brought my BP down, likely because of the potassium. Dairy products also bring my BP down, I assume because of the calcium.

Then again, maybe you will have a different reaction.

Edited to add: Just after typing the above, I took my BP. It was 134/78. I had a small dish of coleslaw, a few almonds, and a dish of fresh strawberries and yogurt. Then I took my BP again less than an hour after taking it previously, and it was 111/76. Another half hour later it was 108/66. By morning it was 136/75 again.

Last edited by Uff-Da!; 09-10-2005 at 08:48 AM. Reason: addition

Old 09-10-2005, 06:24 AM   #5
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Re: On Insulin Resistant diet since Dec 2004. Blood pressure, weight significantly lower.

beerzoids - A pdf file cannot be opened directly in Internet Explorer, so all I get is a red x. I tried doing a web search for the page which references the file so I could ******** the pdf to my computer, then open it with Adobe Reader, and found what I think is probably the correct listing. Unfortunately, both last night and again this morning I just get a message that IE cannot ******** the file.

I don't know if it is the same sheet or not (It says revised 2004), but I did find a pdf file by the same author by right clicking on "diabetes and insulin resistance" under the heading "Who might benefit from an eating plan that is more moderate in carbohydrate?" on the following page. Someone else having trouble with your link might be able to locate similar information there.

http://www.coc.cc.ca.us/offices/Health/NutritionCoach/Tips/mealplans.asp

Last edited by Uff-Da!; 09-10-2005 at 06:25 AM.

Old 09-10-2005, 02:56 PM   #6
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Uff-Da!
    beerzoids - A pdf file cannot be opened directly in Internet Explorer, so all I get is a red x.
    I tried using the Insulin Resistant article address with Firefox and Internet Explorer without any problem. Sometimes you've got to get angry with the internet in order to get it to work. A little yelling and screaming at the screen will go a long way.

If the yelling and screaming doesn't work, you might try what I do.

What I do it copy the entire URL address starting with http and ending with .pdf You can do this by highlighting the entire address and pressing the control button and then the letter c. You can highlight the entire address by positioning the cursor before the h in http and holding down the left button on your mouse, while dragging the cursor from http to .pdf

Then I paste the URL address (http://www.snac.ucla.***/pages/Resources/Handouts/HODiabetesandInsulinResistance.pdf) into the address area at the top of your screen and press enter. To do this, point the cursor into the address near the top of the screen and click the left mouse button once, which should highlight the address that is there. You can then press the control button and then the letter v and it will paste the new address into your address window.

Are these instructions clear as mud?

Old 09-10-2005, 03:28 PM   #7
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Uff-Da!
    Yet I, too, have found that eating lowers my blood pressure by a lot. So I reached the only logical conclusion: eat all day long! Of course, if I don't want to gain weight, I have to do like you did and reduce the size of the normal meals and eat good foods for the snacks.
    The effect of a small, balanced meal on my blood pressure is amazing. It wasn't that way when I first started the Insulin Resistant diet, but soon after I was surprised at the positive effect, and the fact that the blood pressure stayed down. It wasn't just a short term effect.

Quote:
    Among my observations: My BP always seemed to be highest first thing in the morning.
    My blood pressure used to be high in the morning, and much higher in the evening. Now it seems low most of the time. I'll start checking my blood pressure before I eat my first early morning meal.

Quote:
    If I ate right away, my BP came down right away, but if I delayed eating for several hours, my BP remained high until I ate. So it made sense to me to have several more hours of lower BP per day by eating promptly after arising, even if that happens to be at 3:30 or 4:30 and I plan to go back to bed later.
    Beats the hell out of taking additional blood pressure medications. I have the same reaction as you. At night, if I am too tired to eat another small serving, I always talk myself into it, rather than chance higher blood pressure. I've been posting about this for quite a while and you are the very first person to post about having this same reaction to a small meal.

In my case, I've got to be very careful about carbs or calories at night. Even with a balanced meal, if I consume too many calories at night, I'll have breathing problems, higher blood pressure and my heart will jump and skip and thump, possibly for all night.

Quote:
    Also, on days when I had to fast for a blood test, my BP went especially high. Part of that might be "white coat" from seeing the doctor, but part was no doubt that I was fasting for many more hours than I would normally.
    I don't know if I have the same reaction to fasting. I will test this sometime and see if I see the same higher readings. I might not. I am also on three different blood pressure medications.

Quote:
    Do I, too, have insulin resistence? Maybe. I know that my blood sugar has been hovering just over and just under 100 with most readings in the past few months. I also know that I have one brother (out of five siblings) who has become diabetic in the past couple of years, so I know I have to watch it.
    Insulin Resistance is a strange animal. For instance, I've never had problems with my blood sugar. Even after consuming a lot of calories/sugar, my blood sugar levels tested normal. I think that there are a lot of variations of Insulin Resistance, depending upon each individual's unique hormonal, neurological, immune system, lifestyle and environmental differences

Quote:
    I haven't checked out the reference you listed yet on the insulin resistent diet, but will do so.
    If you have problems getting there, use ucla arthur ashe insulin resistance and the address will pop up right at the top of your search engine.

Old 09-10-2005, 07:25 PM   #8
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Following your instructions in post 6, beerzoids, I still got a red x. I was able to locate it by searching for ucla arthur ashe insulin resistance. However, I still got the red x on the pdf file. But the search gave me a choice of viewing it in HTML, so I was able to see it that way. It does appear to be the same article as the revised 2004 one I provided the link for in post 5. I didn't read it carefully enough to see what had been revised. Revisions were not obvious.

I do hope that others will post their results of BP readings before and after eating, whether it goes down or not or whether only certain foods influence it. It will just be interesting to see how different people react and what those who react alike might have in common.

Some people may say that those of us who take our BP often are too preoccupied with it, but it is taking it often which helps us to recognize patterns such as the influence of certain foods or the timing of meals and resulting increases or decreases in BP. I may sometimes go days or even weeks without taking my BP, but those days when I'm at my desk at home most of the day, it is no major task to take my BP ten or twenty times to see what reactions have been to food, etc.

Old 09-11-2005, 12:05 AM   #9
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

beerzoids, I found a couple of research abstracts which might interest you. I'm no where near the age 83, the average age of the nursing home patients in the one study, and I don't have any problems with my BP getting so low after meals that I risk falling. But I do have the same effect of greatly reduced BP. I'll have to see if I get no effect from protein or fat loading, as the one article seems to indicate. I've meant to do a little "research project" on myself to determine just which foods caused the greatest effect, but haven't got around to that yet.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_u ids=12792163&dopt=Citation

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_u ids=2678621&dopt=Abstract

Old 01-11-2006, 06:57 AM   #10
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

re: continued improvement

Quote:
    Originally Posted by beerzoids
    Plus, after about a year on this diet, I am beginning to see some pleasant improvements in my heart rhythm problems.
    It's been another month on the Insulin Resistant diet. Six month CBC showed continued and significant improvements in cholesterol and triglycerides.

Am noticing additional heart rhythm improvements. Smoky air has significantly less effect on my heart rhythm and my blood pressure. Plus...... I've noticed improvements in symptoms when exposed to other irritants. Having computerized blood pressure averages, and taking my blood pressure about 7+ times a day really helps to analyse progress. I'm now up to around 17,500 blood pressure readings.

Quote:
    I've been able to eliminate another blood pressure medication, and have been able to reduce another one of my heart rhythm meds.
    Am staying off that blood pressure medication, but I had to go back to the full dose of the heart rhythm med, after being on the lower dose for a full month, which was my plan.

Quote:
    I'm hoping I experience continued improvements in both my blood pressure and heart rhythm problems, but only time and staying on this difficult diet will tell.
    What an amazing diet. I've modified it somewhat, and it seems like I am eating or snacking all day long. It's working. I never thought that I would be seeing such significant improvements in my health, and how well I feel, especially at my age.

⇒ Do it yourself SLIT greatly improved my asthma and MCS
    ⇒ I make my own dentures with moldable plastic pellets. Saves me $$$
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machaon; 01-11-2006 at 08:20 AM.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:01 AM   #11
    rigel434
    (male)

rigel434 HB User

I've had very good health results from going to the Chinese buffet and loading up on broccoli dishes along with lean meats. I used to load up on rice and lo mein, and it was harder to keep my weight under control and my bp was higher.

I wasn't intending to follow a low-carb type diet, but it's hard not to notice the results. I've found the broccoli absorbs the flavor of whatever dish it's in, so I don't feel like I'm depriving myself of anything.

Old 01-11-2006, 11:20 AM   #12
    pal7778
    Veteran
    (male)

pal7778 HB User

The low carb/insulin resistance approach hasn't really affected my bp much. But I'm still a big fan: The big gut I used to have is a marker for hp and diabetes, and I'm certain I'm much less likely to get diabetes. I also notice that whatever else I do, when I start to reintroduce significant carbs the gut starts to come back. Exercise makes little difference here in my case.

Old 01-11-2006, 11:34 AM   #13
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pal7778
    The low carb/insulin resistance approach hasn't really affected my bp much.
    Sorry to hear that.

For me, the Insulin Resistant Diet is just one part of the high blood pressure puzzle. I still have to take blood pressure medication and avoid the many things that negatively impact my blood pressure and heart rhythm. If I didn't take these other steps, I am sure that my blood pressure's average, and standard deviation, wouldn't be doing as well as it is.

Quote:
    But I'm still a big fan: The big gut I used to have is a marker for hp and diabetes, and I'm certain I'm much less likely to get diabetes.
    Not only less likely to get diabetes, but less likely to get plugged arteries.

My heart-valve noise has gotten better. Coincidence?

Quote:
    I also notice that whatever else I do, when I start to reintroduce significant carbs the gut starts to come back. Exercise makes little difference here in my case.
    Even if exercise doesn't seem to make a difference, the muscle conditioning and positive effects on the circulatory system, is well worth the effort.

Now that your gut has gotten smaller, have you noticed any increase in energy or how well you feel?

Old 01-11-2006, 02:35 PM   #14
    Stumper
    Inactive
    (male)

Stumper HB User

Beerzoids,

It sounds as though you have a real grip on your BP issues. And yes, you are correct...I too think that glucose fluctuations affect BP. Your weight loss sounds fantastic and beneficial as well.

I have eliminated Potatoes out of my diet nearly entirely and went to sweet potatoes instead.
    This alone will drop glucose levels significantly. Doc told me to do so as my glucose levels were hovering around 100. Since doing so my morning readingsare down to 85-93 and I feel really well and my BP is real nice in the mornings. So yes, there is a connection...and I also agree with your hormone evaluation...as a matter of fact there is now experimentation going on dealing with just that (Hormones and HBP). I heard this on the radio as they were looking for volunteers to treat HBP with hormones.

Old 01-14-2006, 06:32 AM   #15
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stumper
    Beerzoids,

It sounds as though you have a real grip on your BP issues. And yes, you are correct...I too think that glucose fluctuations affect BP. Your weight loss sounds fantastic and beneficial as well.
    Thanks!

It took me years to slowly eliminate things that had a negative effect on my blood pressure and my arrhythmias. YEARS! There are many complex relationships that can effect blood pressure and arrhythmias. But, it was only when I targetted Insulin Resistance that I was really able to see significant improvements in my blood pressure AND my health.

Insulin provides energy for the body, just like gas provides energy for a car. When the body's handling of Insulin becomes defective, all hell breaks loose. Insulin Resistance can start at a young age and very slowly get worse over one's lifetime. So...... it kinda sneeks up on you.

Quote:
    I have eliminated Potatoes out of my diet nearly entirely and went to sweet potatoes instead. This alone will drop glucose levels significantly. Doc told me to do so as my glucose levels were hovering around 100. Since doing so my morning readings are down to 85-93 and I feel really well and my BP is real nice in the mornings. So yes, there is a connection...
    Glad to hear that you are doing well, and that the steps that you are taking are working. For those with Insulin Resistance or Diabetes, white potatoes can be poison. A cup of white potatoes converts to blood sugar, faster than a cup of sugar, and can overwhelm the body's handling of Insulin.

Quote:
    and I also agree with your hormone evaluation...
    Many blood pressure meds attempt to surpress, inhibit, or block the hormones that can cause increased blood pressure. Hench the names of the drugs....... Angiotensin I Inhibitor (ACE), Beta-adrenergic Blockers (blocks norepinephrine), Angiotensin II Receptor Blockers (ARBs), etc.

Quote:
    ... as a matter of fact there is now experimentation going on dealing with just that (Hormones and HBP). I heard this on the radio as they were looking for volunteers to treat HBP with hormones.
    This is the first time that I have heard of using hormones, instead of blocking them, to lower blood pressure. Is this something new, or has it been around for a while?

Are you considering volunteering? If so, do you know if it is a Phase I, Phase II or Phase III clinical trial? In a Phase III, you only have a 50% chance of testing the hormone instead of getting a placebo.

Last edited by Machaon; 01-14-2006 at 10:20 AM.

Closed Thread