It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• High blood pressure with a cold?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-21-2005, 01:24 PM   #1
    Normsthename
    (male)

Normsthename HB User
    High blood pressure with a cold?

Hi I am new to the forum.
    I have recently set out on a fitness campaign (last 10 weeks), to try and get my blood pressure lower & lose a bit of weight and just generally get fitter, nothing strenuous, just 25 minutes a day, 5 times a week.
    Everything has been brilliant, I have lost 16 lbs, and I now weigh 186 lbs and feel loads better.
    Now onto my question, I take 125mg Tenoretic once a day, and have been taking this drug for 12 years, my blood pressure is usually O.K
    This week I have had a bad cold, and so I laid off of the exercise until it clears up,
    My blood pressure has been sky high 153/104........
    Is this just a result of the bad cold???

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2005, 01:52 PM   #2
    cartner
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
    Re: High blood pressure with a cold?

Hello and welcome to those great boards. Did you take Meds for your cold? because those Meds normally raise BP. I stopped taking Meds for colds 4 years ago because of that.
    I don't know if there's a relationship between the cold itself and BP. I hope that someone else can tell you.
    Thanks,
    Michael

Old 10-21-2005, 03:03 PM   #3
    Normsthename
    (male)

Normsthename HB User

Quote:
    Did you take Meds for your cold?
    No. I just suffer in silence!
    A couple of years ago, a pharmacist warned me about taking cold remedies etc as these raise blood pressure etc and recommended that I did'nt use them.

Andy

Old 10-22-2005, 07:36 AM   #4
    Palamedes
    Veteran
    (male)

Palamedes HB User

I tend to have a different view about this than most. Yes, cold remedies can raise BP. But, so can cold symptoms. Therefore, if a cold remedy makes your more comfortable, it may actually be bringing your BP down. Also, a BP increase over the short period of time you have a cold is most likely of insignificance over your long term health.

Pal

Old 10-22-2005, 08:04 AM   #5
    cartner
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

I noticed that I get fast heartbeat when I get cold
    Michael

Closed Thread