It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Diet makes big difference in BP!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-18-2005, 09:12 PM   #1
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
    Exclamation Diet makes big difference in BP!

After making a number of dietary changes in 2004, I was able to take myself off my BP meds entirely last January. The majority of the time since, my unmedicated BP has averaged around 126/70-75.

Those of you that have been around for the past several months have seen me indicate that I had a major intestinal yeast infection in August following antibiotics, but after meds took care of the yeast, I was still left with continuing problems with diarrhea. I finally suspected that the antibiotics and med for the yeast had so changed the intestinal flora, that I may have developed new food sensitivities. So this week I decided to test what foods I might be sensitive to by starting with just a few foods I considered likely to be safe, then add new foods to the "safe" list only gradually, so I could identify the offenders.

Well, my BP has been climbing on this very limited diet, even though I've taken a vitamin/mineral supplement and a couple of extra calcium/magnesium/vitamin D pills. My average for the past two days has been 152/86. That's 21 points systolic and 11-16 points diastolic higher! Whether the difference in BP is due to which foods were included or which were excluded, I don't know, but here is what I think may be the major differences.

Foods included in the test diet that I don't usually eat: English muffins made with white flour, white pasta, white rice

Foods excluded from the test diet that I usually eat: legumes, whole grains, dairy products, a wider variety of potassium-containing veggies

If I discover what foods seem to bring my BP back down the most as I add additional foods back to the test diet, I'll post them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2005, 05:12 AM   #2
    Moxie75
    Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
    Re: Diet makes big difference in BP!

Uff,

Good info. You really should do a candida cleanse. I have read it has helped many people cleanse thier body of the antibiotics and yeast issues. I also worked with a girl who's little boy was having constant yeast infections that came out on his skin. She went to a health food store and the girl there told her about it and the boy has not had any issues since. I'm going to start my cleanse soon....Lisa

Old 11-19-2005, 06:41 AM   #3
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I was on an anti-fungal agent, Nystatin, for four weeks, then had another lab test which showed I was clear of the yeast, so I think I'm okay on that score now. And I started eating yogurt with active culture L. acidophilis and taking the acidophilis pills even before I knew I had a yeast infection. I later switched to PB8, a probiotic that includes eight "good bacteria." So hopefully, I've done about all I can do on that score. But things still aren't the same. The two foods I'm quite sure I can't tolerate, wild rice and soy milk, were foods I either just started eating after I had the problem or which I had so seldom that I wasn't aware they were problem-makers. But I am strongly suspicious that I may have developed a reaction to other legumes, and I had been eating them almost daily for the past two years without problems. I hope I'm wrong about that possible intolerance, though, as that was one thing I was eating to keep my cholesterol down without so much medication. I'll be really ticked if I can't eat them any more. I'll wait until I test out a few more foods that I'm relatively sure will go on my "safe" list, though, before I test beans or lentils, as this limited diet is incredibly boring.

I remember last July my BP also got up with systolic readings in the 150s and 160s just before I went for my annual physical. At the time I was very suspicious that it was elevated because I had eaten white potatoes twice a day for three days and fewer than normal other veggies. So this experience ties in with that.

Old 11-19-2005, 07:26 AM   #4
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Uff-da,

I have a suggestion...try drinking KEFIR daily. It is a many millenia old food that has a staggeringly large number of probiotics, many of which make it though the gastric system and implant in the intestines. It is hugely popular in the Balkans, Caucuses and with Russians. It is also DELICIOUS. A web search will keep you busy til Xmas.

You can find it in any decent Natural or Health food store (refrigerated in quarts) although I've been fermenting my own for several years.

It is the sine qua non for replacement of proper intesinal flora and by comparison , makes yoghurt look like boiled water. Besides the acidophilus and thermophilus of yoghurt do NOT survive the stomach's digestion.

I drink a glass a day.

A quart will cost you about $3.50 and probably by the second quart you'll start feeling like your old colon again!

(Get the plain...not the fruity stuff!)

Last edited by Lenin; 11-19-2005 at 07:27 AM.

Old 11-22-2005, 02:59 PM   #5
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lenin - It looks to me as though kefir might be on my list of no-nos. I tried adding milk to my diet a few days ago, and it appears that it might be a food I've developed an intolerance to, also. I've had lactose intolerance for at least ten years, but could always take dairy with no problems at all by taking a Lact-Aid pill with it. But testing a glass of milk a few days ago, it appears that I might have developed a sensitivity to the casein or something else in it, too. I'll really be upset if that is the case, as I think the dairy products were one of the things helping to keep my BP down. I'll hold off re-testing it until later. I want to hold off testing the suspicious ones until I have plenty of other foods on my "safe" list. There is also a possibility that it is corn and not dairy that was the problem that day. Corn would be so much easier for me to eliminate from my diet.

Last edited by Uff-Da!; 11-22-2005 at 04:48 PM.

Old 11-22-2005, 03:02 PM   #6
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well, I couldn't stand it any longer. I wanted one of my big salads so bad, and I knew that those were the meals that gave me the lowest BP readings before. I added two new veggies to my former list of "safe" ones at lunch today - and got the lowest BP reading 30 minutes later that I've had since I started this exercise. An unmedicated 112/65. However, pulse was 79, high for me, so I'm suspicious that there might have been something in the meal to which I am sensitive. The meal included a salad of cabbage, carrots, celery, broccoli, yellow tomatoes, a hard cooked egg and two tablespoons Hidden Valley ranch dressing. I ate it with a bowl of plain rice, cup of green tea, and a Lact-Aid pill. The foods which were new today were the broccoli and the yellow tomato (though I've had red tomato before). I suspect it is the total amount of veggies in the meal that brought the BP down, rather than the specific ones, as my BP has been gradually dropping over the past few days as I added the celery and carrots to the foods I had originally.

I think I'll eat the same menu tonight with just one exception - subsituting a different dressing for the ranch - and see what happens to my pulse. It is possible that if I do have a problem with dairy that just the small amount of it in the dressing could be the problem.

Old 11-22-2005, 04:33 PM   #7
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Uff-da,

Anyone with a lactose intolerance will have NO trouble with kefir since virtually ALL the lactose is fermented to lactic acid...almost none remains.
    Trust me on trying this.

Last edited by Lenin; 11-22-2005 at 04:33 PM.

Old 11-22-2005, 04:55 PM   #8
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lenin - I guess you missed this part:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Uff-Da!
    But testing a glass of milk a few days ago, it appears that I might have developed a sensitivity to the casein or something else in it, too.
    Milk, cheese, yogurt have not been a problem after I learned to take a Lact-Aid pill with it. But it seems to be a problem now, which leads me to believe it may be something else in the dairy products, like the protein, that may also be giving me a problem now. It will take further testing to tell for sure, though. Sometimes it is hard to tell exactly which food has caused the problem unless you go about four days without adding another food, and I just can't tolerate that limited a diet yet.

Old 11-23-2005, 06:22 AM   #9
    Sideem
    (male)

Sideem HB User

Hmm...I've never been a big cabbage person but I just might have to give it a try. I assume you eat it uncooked in the salad, right?

Old 11-23-2005, 08:05 AM   #10
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes, I eat the cabbage uncooked. I used grated cabbage as the base of the salad instead of lettuce, but only about one-third or one-fourth of the salad was cabbage. More frequently in the past I have used raw baby spinach as the base of the salad instead and also got really good BP readings. But I haven't tested spinach for food intolerance yet, so I'll keep using cabbage until I get to testing that.

I think what matters is that it is a LOT of veggies in one meal, where a big dinner-size plate of salad is the base of the meal. I recall, too, that last spring I was getting especially low readings when asparagus was in season and I was using a lot of lightly steamed asparagus in my big salads. I always used to top thse salads with about half a cup of marinated garbanzo beans, but I'm very suspicious that I've become intolerant of legumes, so I'm leaving that to test later. But something like the beans makes it a more filling meal.

Closed Thread