It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Trandolapril...Mavik

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-29-2005, 05:39 PM   #1
    underpressure
    (female)

underpressure HB User
    Trandolapril...Mavik

Has anyone taken Trandolapril?? I am going to start it tomorrow. I am really drug sensitive so I am nervous about how it is going to make me feel. HPB is a royal pain...I am reading at about 170-190over 90-128 everyday now for aboout 2 months. Any help would be great.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2005, 09:10 PM   #2
    WantToManage
    (female)

WantToManage HB User
    Re: Trandolapril...Mavik

Hi -- best of luck in your efforts to bring down your bp! These boards can be very helpful in soliciting opinions about treatments, etc.

Your post doesn't include details of your history. I can offer a few comments from my own experience.

I'm a 49-yr.-old female who has had high bp for about 3 years. My mother died at 43 from a heart attack; she had extremely high bp for at least several years before she died.

I knew I was predisposed, so at the first sign of hbp in myself, I sought treatment. I exercise moderately and eat a good diet; I'd say I'm about 15 lbs over my optimum weight. I take 50 mg of atenolol (a beta blocker) and 4 mg of Mavik (ACE inhibitor). This combination pretty much controls me -- I'm usually in the 140/90 range -- not the best, but livable.

I see many anti-drug postings on this site. Many are anti-atenolol (beta blocker). In my experience, atenolol has been a lifesaver. Among many things, it's an anti-anxiety drug and has helped me be able to step back and assess a situation before reacting.

What I've learned on this site and elsewhere in this journey is that managing hbp or any health issue is a very individual experience -- people react differently to drugs, etc. Posting sites like this are great for people to compare experiences, etc.

Old 12-02-2005, 04:00 AM   #3
    cartner
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

I agree with WantToManage, we are different and react differently to the same drug. For example, many people said that Norvasc is a very bad drug but when I tried it I got NO side effects and also no effect on my blood pressure. Many said that ARBs have no side effects but I feel very sleepy and tired while I'm on ARBs

You have to try and see what's the best for you
    Thanks,
    Michael

Old 12-02-2005, 04:37 AM   #4
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

underpressure,

Trandolapril is a drug in a class called ACE inhibitors. It prevents the formation of Angiotensin-2 (a potent pressure raiser) from Angliotensin-1.
    Things to look out for when first takeing the drug involve the slight chance of allergy. so look for hives, itching, and swelling especially around the face. Not likely though.

What is the most common complaint is a nagging cough that develops after a few days or weeks on an ACE inhibitor. Not serious but, eventually, usually annoying enough to quit the drug. THe cough is a very tickly thing in mid chest that makes coughing inevitable. It's different from the cough causes by a cold.

Closed Thread