It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• atenolol? Help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-02-2005, 03:55 PM   #1
    bigrob0834
    (male)

bigrob0834 HB User
    atenolol? Help

My question is can Atenolol all of a sudden cause side affects. I started on 25mg about two years ago then finally up to 50mg, took 50mg for about 2 years with 40mg lisinopril,160mg diovan,25mg hctz and .1 clonidine at bedtime. with ok control 130/85 and no side affects, then all of a sudden felt horrible and stopped controlling BP as well, Doc added 60mg Generic-procardia, but made me feel horrible, The thing is I took 90 mg name brand procardia for over 5 years with 25 mg hctz and no side afffects at all. procardia seems to lower Bp. Anyways now i am off procardia and taking 20mg benicar instead of diovan and Atenolol down to 25mg. I feel terrible, like fainting sometimes,hands and feet get cold and shakey, light headed 24/7. I'm only 29 with no other Medical problems, its to the point were I can barely work. Anyone with Advice would be Greatly appreciated-Please. I would like to get back on procardia, but i don't know if its the procardia making me sick or if combining it with these other meds is causing more side affects or if the Generic is Different because i took name brand 90mg Procardia for more than 5 years with no side affects. Here's what im on now, blood pressure runs about 135-155 over 88-100 and i still feel Horrible. The doctor wants to raise my Atenolol to 75mg-scared help.

Atenonlol 25mg
    40mg lisinopril
    20mg benicar
    25mg hctz
    .1mg clonidine at bed time

Last edited by bigrob0834; 12-02-2005 at 03:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2005, 04:40 PM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: atenolol? Help

rob,

I get the overall impression that your doctor/doctors are using a very willy nilly approach and with the 5 or more drug classes, with multiple drugs in each and multiple possible doses, I think the possibile combinations are in the TRILLIONS. The "now try this" approach isn't medicine, it's shooting darts!

Why not go back to square one and use just thiazide for awhile...maybe 50 mg. a day. If your numbers are only so-so add one of the following, or better yet use ONLY one of the following...
    atenolol 50 (cheapest.)
    lisinopril
    forget the Benicar if you can take lisinopril.

You;ve got to find out which agents are pulling their weight and take only them and avoid the useless or annoying ones. Testing with monthlong monotherapy seems to me the best approach to separate them.

If you do this you are following the best current guidlines for initiating treatment,i.e., first diuretic then beta-blocker.

First off, there are two rather different variants of primnary hypertension: volume driven and RENIN driven. Procardia and thiazide (your original formulation) BOTH target VOlume or salt-sensitive hypertension which is the root of 20% of the population's problem.
    Beta-blocers (atenolol,) ACE inhibitors (lisinopril), and ARB's (Benicar) target the more common RENIN-ANGIOTENSIN driven hypertension.
    So starting with the diuretic alone looks to treat the salt sensitive, if it doesn't work then atenolol or lisinopril will get the other.

I think its wise to control with 2 agents max. Anyone on 5 will multiply the chance side effects some of which may be serious.

An aside,
    If you have trouble with frequent insomnia, I'll bet it's the nighttime atenolol.

Last edited by Lenin; 12-02-2005 at 04:42 PM.

Old 12-02-2005, 08:57 PM   #3
    CASSIEBEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

I also took 5 meds for awhile, had uncontrolled BP, and was miserable too. I'm down to 3 meds now, feel much better and finally have a normal BP. I was on:
    beta blocker (atenolol) 50mgs
    ARB (benicar) 40mgs
    ACEI (altace) 10mgs
    diuretic (HCTZ) 25mgs
    clonidine.1mg
    And my cardiologist was still trying to add more.

I believe what Lenin told you is correct. You will either respond to a diuretic and/or a CCB OR an ACE/ARB/ beta blocker. At least I've found this to be true. The ARB/ACE/beta blockers did nothing for my BP. The clonidine worked but only for a few hours. On the other hand the diuretic lowered my BP but not enough. The CCBs worked wonders on my BP but I had serious side effects to all of them except diltiazem and verapamil. Then to make it really difficult I find out that diltiazem or verapamil shouldn't be taken with a beta blocker or clonidine. A real mess! I was like a zombe in the day and wide awake at night. Depressed, dizzy, dead tired, and with my BP running between 120/70 - 190/90 every day.

I begged my GP to help me somwhow get on the meds that would lower my BP and get me off the ones that did nothing.

That was 5 months ago. Today I am just on 3 meds. I take a CCB, ACE, and diuretic. My BP ave is 115/65 - 130/75. and I feel great.

I think your problem is the atenolol and clonidine. They are nasty by themselves but together they are devastating. Weaning off them is a whole other miserable story but it's worth it if you can do it.

Cass

Old 12-03-2005, 03:06 AM   #4
    cartner
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Cass and Lenin,

You are right , I tried Norvasc 5 mg and it didn't lower my blood pressure even 1 point but while I'm on Atacand 8 mg my blood pressure is 120/90-80. Also Cozaar and Zebeta worked very well for my blood pressure but I didn't like those side effects. Thank god that my blood pressure responses to 1 medication only .

I'm fatigue and sleepy while I'm on Atacand but I know that it will get better after few weeks, I HOPE SO
    Thanks,
    Michael

Old 12-03-2005, 04:53 AM   #5
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Cassie,

Which CCB did you choose, diltiazem or verapamil?

Old 12-03-2005, 12:46 PM   #6
    bigrob0834
    (male)

bigrob0834 HB User

Ya Cassiebel I think your right about it being the atenolol and clonidine, maybe I should start taking Procardia again with my lisinopril and hctz and wean off the Atenolol and Clonidine. or try another CCB, which one work best for you. i've tried Norvasc it helped but not that much, My BP responds to Procardia better,another thing is my Doc wants to maybe raise my HCTZ from 25mg to 50mg I don't know if that will help,well thanks for the replies.

Last edited by bigrob0834; 12-03-2005 at 12:50 PM.

Old 12-03-2005, 02:14 PM   #7
    CASSIEBEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    Cassie,

Which CCB did you choose, diltiazem or verapamil?
    Diltiazem works a bit better at lowereing my Bp but I didn't have any side effects with either.
    Cass

Old 12-06-2005, 10:48 AM   #8
    Emeraldeyes
    (female)

Emeraldeyes HB User

I have a question for you all. I am having a terrible time controlling my bp. I presently take Clonidine .1mg/5 x's/day. This helps control it but doesn't last very long. I really need something else to go with it and I am so sensitive to medicines it has been a nightmare.

Lenin always says to try a diuretic first especially if you are salt sensitive which I am...all I have to do is walk by salt and my bp goes up! I tried a diuretic and my heart races so fast, tried Diovan and Benicar same results plus terrible anxiety. Tried Tennormin, beta blocker, sick as a dog. I just don't know what to try to take anymore. Plus there are so many reports about all these drugs causing heart attacks...totally confusing.

I really need some help. I go back to the Doctor after the holidays and I really need some input as to what to ask for. I read where some say the ccb's but then I heard reports they can cause heart attacks in women.
    If one type of diuretic (hydrochlorthizide sp?) caused my heart to race so bad would all of them do that to me? I have a friend that takes veramprimil and she says I should try it but I would have to wean off the Clonidine I think. I think I read where you can't take them both. Cassie did you have a hard time weaning off your Clonidine? Only thing I like about it is it will lower you bp fast just don't last long.

Help!!!!!!!!!! I am so sick of trying to control this bp!

Old 12-06-2005, 02:22 PM   #9
    CASSIEBEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigrob0834
    Ya Cassiebel I think your right about it being the atenolol and clonidine, maybe I should start taking Procardia again with my lisinopril and hctz and wean off the Atenolol and Clonidine. or try another CCB, which one work best for you. i've tried Norvasc it helped but not that much, My BP responds to Procardia better,another thing is my Doc wants to maybe raise my HCTZ from 25mg to 50mg I don't know if that will help,well thanks for the replies.
    Diltiazem works the best for me. Norvasc didn't help it just made me feel terrible.

Old 12-06-2005, 04:27 PM   #10
    CASSIEBEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Emeraldeyes
    I have a question for you all. I am having a terrible time controlling my bp. I presently take Clonidine .1mg/5 x's/day. This helps control it but doesn't last very long. I really need something else to go with it and I am so sensitive to medicines it has been a nightmare.

Lenin always says to try a diuretic first especially if you are salt sensitive which I am...all I have to do is walk by salt and my bp goes up! I tried a diuretic and my heart races so fast, tried Diovan and Benicar same results plus terrible anxiety. Tried Tennormin, beta blocker, sick as a dog. I just don't know what to try to take anymore. Plus there are so many reports about all these drugs causing heart attacks...totally confusing.

I really need some help. I go back to the Doctor after the holidays and I really need some input as to what to ask for. I read where some say the ccb's but then I heard reports they can cause heart attacks in women.
    If one type of diuretic (hydrochlorthizide sp?) caused my heart to race so bad would all of them do that to me? I have a friend that takes veramprimil and she says I should try it but I would have to wean off the Clonidine I think. I think I read where you can't take them both. Cassie did you have a hard time weaning off your Clonidine? Only thing I like about it is it will lower you bp fast just don't last long.

Help!!!!!!!!!! I am so sick of trying to control this bp!
    First of all, how long were you on the diuretic? When I first started taking HCTZ My heart would start racing occasionally. It would just start pounding for no reason and it scared me, I thought I was having a heart atack. After a few months it stopped doing that and hasn't bothered me since.

I didn't have a hard time weaning off clonidine because I was only taking .1mg and I was also on atenolol at the time. The hard part came when I started trying to drop the atenolol. I still keep clonidine around "just in case". Makes me feel secure to know I can get my BP down in a hurry if need be.

Yes, you can take verapamil or diltiazem with clonidine but it will intensify the side effects of both but taking either of those CCBs will make the clonidine weaning eaiser to live with.

Cass

Last edited by CASSIEBEL; 12-06-2005 at 04:28 PM.

Old 12-07-2005, 05:01 AM   #11
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Heart Racing is the heart's way of compensating for lowered blood pressure especially volume depletion of the blood. By eliminating water from the bloodstream by diuretics there will be a tendency, though slight for the heart to speed up. More speed has the same effect as more pressure...more blood to the cells. The heart is reacting inappropriately as if you were bleeding from a cut.

Usually that effect is far more pronounced if you take something to directly open up the teenies arteries...like an old drug called hydralazine or nitrates.
    I'd expect the effect to be pronounced with CCB's too, but my experience weith them is very slim.

If it happens with diuretics maybe cutting back on the amount or letting the body accustom itself over time to the "smaller" blood supply will stop that racing. I don't get it at all and I've been taking thiazides for 25 years.

Last edited by Lenin; 12-07-2005 at 05:06 AM.

Closed Thread