It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Two meds for high blood pressure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-18-2006, 03:52 PM   #1
    ANNETTE73
    (female)

ANNETTE73 HB User
    Two meds for high blood pressure

I am now on Coversyl(ACE Inhibitor) and Tiazac XC (Calcium Channel Blocker).
    Is there any one on more then one medication to control their blood pressure and is there any major side effects and how is it working? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2006, 04:39 PM   #2
    pal7778
    Veteran
    (male)

pal7778 HB User
    Re: Two meds for high blood pressure

I'm on a CCB and a ARB. Two medicines or even three is common. I don't have any significant side effects, my bp is controlled pretty well. The side effects thing various a lot from person to person

Old 01-19-2006, 05:51 AM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

The major complaint from the Tiazac might be swelling of legs and ankles. The Coversyl's worst aspect is an annoying tickly cough.

Keeep your eyes open for these side effects.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:05 AM   #4
    ANNETTE73
    (female)

ANNETTE73 HB User

Thanks for the infromation. I already got the cough. I have rheumatoid arthritis in my knees, ankles and feet. How can I tell if the swelling is from the arthritis or the meds. Swelling in the legs and feet any thing to worry about or it doesn't matter what is causing my swollen legs and feet? Thanks again.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:17 AM   #5
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Annette,

The swelling from the channel blocker is a soft pudgy looking swelling. It doesn't hurt or look inflamed (as arthritis sometimes does.) You might notice the line from a removed sock takes forever to disappear. It's caused by dilation of arterioles without subsequent dilation of capillaries. This causes fluid to leak into surrrounding tissues.

I'm not sure if it presents any danger but it isn't pretty!

Old 01-22-2006, 10:26 PM   #6
    gretchen890
    (female)

gretchen890 HB User

Hello Annette73,

I take 3 HBP meds. Diovan,Dilacor and a diuretic. It took this many meds to manage my pressure. I have very few side effects. It also took trial and error over many months for my doctor to find just the right combo. Even though I use a diuretic I still get some ankle swelling. I find that if I drink more water the swelling goes down. Also walking helps. Hope things work out for you.

Take Care

Old 03-04-2006, 09:37 PM   #7
    WantToManage
    (female)

WantToManage HB User

I take 2 meds -- atenolol (beta blocker) and mavik (ACE inhibitor). Between the two the main effects I notice are a higher degree of fatigue than I used to experience, plus some water retention, evidenced by slight ankle swelling. It's hard to determine which medication causes these effects, or whether it's from the combination. Also, I've gone through menopause in the past year, so I'm sure that's affecting me too! Getting older ain't easy!

Closed Thread