It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Meds causing high heart rate?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-23-2006, 11:38 AM   #1
    relax101
    (female)

relax101 HB User
    Meds causing high heart rate?

Hi Everyone,

I began reading this board about a month ago after starting meds for high blood pressure. After 2 days of Toprol the Dr. switched me to Veralan PM (300mg). Two weeks after that we felt my anxiety was either causing or adding to my hbp. The Dr. put me on amitriptyline (50mg) for anxiety and also lisinipril (20mg) as I was still having periods of hbp daily.

My blood pressure seems to be in control and my anxiety is quite reduced. About a week after starting the amitriptyline and the lisinipril I noticed my heart rate went up on an average about 15 beats. Instead of being in the high 60's to low 70's it is running 85- 100!

Which drug might be causing the increase in heart rate? I exercise almost daily with cardio and/or weights.

I don't think it's the Verelan PM, cuz that seemed to lower my heart rate a bit.

Thanks for any advice. This higher heart rate is worrying me!!

Ginny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2006, 04:28 PM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: Meds causing high heart rate?

It's the amitripytilene (Elavil)...a TOUGH drug:

Quote:
    Department of Psychiatry, University in Erlangen, Germany.

Twenty-four patients treated with 150 mg amitriptyline per day for an episode of major depression underwent a standardized heart rate analysis (HRA) before therapy and after 14 days. The battery of cardiovascular reflex tests included the determination of the coefficient of variation (CV) while resting and during deep respiration, a spectral analysis of heart rate, the heart rate response to standing, and the Valsalva manoeuvre. The results of the initial HRA did not differ from a group of 24 normal control subjects matched for age and sex. On day 14 of treatment the patients showed significantly reduced values of heart rate variability in all tests (P < 0.0001), probably due to the anticholinergic side effects of amitriptyline. Heart rate increased from 78.1 to 93.6 bpm on average (P < 0.0001). Abnormal CV at rest was registered in 96% of the patients; during deep respiration 29% showed abnormal CV results. An abnormal spectral analysis was found in 100% of the cases (low frequency peak: 42%, mid-frequency peak: 100%, high frequency peak: 79%). The heart rate response to standing was abnormal in 75% and the Valsalva test in 33% of the cases. Eighty-eight percent of the patients fulfilled the criteria of a cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy under the conditions of amitriptyline therapy
    Don't take this drug for anything short of frank psychosis. It's an ancient and cruel drug not meant for simple anxiety. It most horrible aspect is the eventual tardive diskinesia (facial twitching and involuntary chewing motions that used to be common in mental wards) that SO many people get from it.

Last edited by Lenin; 01-23-2006 at 04:30 PM.

Old 01-23-2006, 10:22 PM   #3
    relax101
    (female)

relax101 HB User

Thank you Lenin. Sounds like you hit the nail on the head. My left eyelid has already been twitching!! Time to think of another way to deal with the anxiety. At least I don't notice any bad side effects from the bp meds, not yet anyway.

Ginny

Old 01-24-2006, 07:10 PM   #4
    redherring

redherring HB User

Oh yeah. I took pamalor (a cousin of Elavil) 6 years ago and my heart was galloping like a horse (~120BPM). Needless to say, I opted not to continue with with this antidepressant.

Last edited by redherring; 01-24-2006 at 07:13 PM.

Old 01-27-2006, 07:19 AM   #5
    relax101
    (female)

relax101 HB User

Just to update, my last dose of the amitriptyline was Sun night, and by Wed my heart rate was back to "normal". Unfortunately my anxiety started back up about the same time.

I wouldn't mind the anxiety so much but that seems to cause my blood pressure to go up even tho I'm taking hpb meds.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:43 PM   #6
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

relax,

Why not try diazapam for your anxiety. It work every time for me.
    It's also VERY cheap these days.

Old 01-28-2006, 08:39 AM   #7
    relax101
    (female)

relax101 HB User

I actually take clonazepam (1mg) before bed each night. I keep a couple in my purse if I do get VERY anxious during the day. I believe the clonazepam is the long acting variety of benzodiazipine and thus takes a bit longer to take effect. Is diazepam more like xanex?

I have considered splitting the dose and taking .5 mg at night and .5 in the morning to see if it will help.

I'd like to avoid the anxiety onset rather than taking something after I'm already in that state, but maybe .5 of clonazepam in the mornings would work? Guess I could try it.

Old 02-15-2006, 04:48 PM   #8
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Clonazepam (Klonopin) is probably the most potent of the benzodiazepines and best reserved for psychotics. Boy, that doctor is giving you the STRONG stuff...did your head spin around and your inner spirits make his desk jump around the room :!

The diazepam (Valium) is a lot more like Xanax. Both good antianxiety agents for the everyday fears...rather than the straitjacket variety !!

Remember, going off clonazepam requires weaning.

Last edited by Lenin; 02-15-2006 at 04:51 PM.

Old 02-19-2006, 12:41 PM   #9
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    relax,

Why not try diazapam for your anxiety. It work every time for me.
    It's also VERY cheap these days.

Lenin..does your dr. give U a hard time about taking Diazapam? My old dr. had me on it, 5mgs. for years, but this new dr. gives me grief about taking it. I explained to her that I was put on it due to the fact I tense up my muscles alot when I'm upset, but the new one rolls her eyes even talking about it.

Old 02-20-2006, 05:46 AM   #10
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JJ,

This guy rolls his eyes a bit as if to imply "You sad old addict." But I present it in a rather brusque way like "I've run out of diazepam; please write me a prescription for 60 tablets of 10 mg." I ask about once a year and my partner does the same so we have 120 a year to get us though any emergencies.

Here's one for you...next time I see him, I;m going to ask for a script for a BARBITURATE for occasional insomnia...now THAT should have him babbling about "drug treatment centers and Marilyn Monroe." We'll see.

Funny how it's only the GOOD, cheap pills that doctor's are loathe to prescribe. The crap like Norvasc and Plavix they'll ram down your throat at the drop of a hat. I'll bet I'd have no trouble getting Lunestra or Ambien because they cost several dollars a pill.

Old 02-20-2006, 07:29 AM   #11
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    JJ,

This guy rolls his eyes a bit as if to imply "You sad old addict." But I present it in a rather brusque way like "I've run out of diazepam; please write me a prescription for 60 tablets of 10 mg." I ask about once a year and my partner does the same so we have 120 a year to get us though any emergencies.

Here's one for you...next time I see him, I;m going to ask for a script for a BARBITURATE for occasional insomnia...now THAT should have him babbling about "drug treatment centers and Marilyn Monroe." We'll see.

Funny how it's only the GOOD, cheap pills that doctor's are loathe to prescribe. The crap like Norvasc and Plavix they'll ram down your throat at the drop of a hat. I'll bet I'd have no trouble getting Lunestra or Ambien because they cost several dollars a pill.
    Oh I hear ya, and I agree, if we were looking for the high priced stuff we wouldn't have the dirty looks, well tuff, why should we pay big $$$ when we can get the same thing, if not better for a low amount of money.

Yup, bet he gives U a hard time over the stuff for sleeping. He will have U in rehab for sure....... Oh well, hopefully he doesn't hassle U too much, I just can't stand the rolling of the eyes like I was asking for the winning numbers to the lottery or something. I still say, give me the old fashion drs. who tried to treat the patient like a human and not a number.

Good luck, enjoy your day, and TTYL.....

Closed Thread