It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• I've recently switched to cozzar - what to expect?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-25-2006, 10:33 PM   #1
    disjointed
    (male)

disjointed HB User
    I've recently switched to cozzar - what to expect?

Last week, my medication was switched to cozzar (50mg) from Toprol (25mg). What have been the experiences of those of you taking this medication? Note, it's the only bp med I'm on (bp = 140/90). However, I'm on metformin XR for insulin resistance.

Thanks for your feedback!

Kevin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2006, 05:38 AM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: I've recently switched to cozzar - what to expect?

Kevin,

You can expect more energy than you had on Toprol. It's a good drug IF it gives you good enough BP numbers...it's not a very strong drug and it doesn't work at all for the minority of people who are salt-sensitive hypertensives. Most people who try it wind up adding a water pill which does the heavy lifting.

There aren't many annoying side-effects.

Old 02-26-2006, 06:12 AM   #3
    Stumper
    Inactive
    (male)

Stumper HB User

I agree with Lenin.
    Out of all the BP meds I have tried it is perhaps been one of the lesser offensive ones I tried outside of Atenolol. But that is me.
    Cozaar probably gave me about the lowest grade headache and funny feelings in my head of all those I tried.
    So it is definately worth a try. Also it lowered my BP sometimes very nicely. For mild hypertension a low dose may be just the ticket.

Old 02-26-2006, 07:34 AM   #4
    disjointed
    (male)

disjointed HB User

Thanks, Lenin and Stumper;

So far (about a week-and-a-half now) it seems to be working better on the systolic numbers than Toprol did, and not quite as good on the diastolic numbers. However, I needed more help on the average systolic reading, so in total it appears to be putting me more where I should be.

Stumper, it also has seemed to eliminate the low-grade headaches I had been getting more of the last few months as well! I never associated them with my blood pressure until I came to this forum and read posts from those with experience! It really helps... thanks!

While Toprol may have been part of the problem with the headaches, I was actually getting them before I began any medication. It was only rarely that I would get a headache a few years ago. You may be right, Stumper, this low dose of Cozzar may be just right...

Lenin, I'm looking forward to the increased energy! I currently have a cold, so it's hard to tell if my energy has increased or not (I certainly don't feel a decrease, even with the cold!) I can say I feel better mentally already. The irritability from being on Toprol was really annoying!

Thanks,
    Kevin

Closed Thread