It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• I'm 22, on high blood pressure meds, and my pulse goes wild..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-21-2006, 01:02 PM   #1
    manlyman
    (male)

manlyman HB User
    I'm 22, on high blood pressure meds, and my pulse goes wild..

Hi all,

Well I'm on 100 mg of veramil PM and 300 mg of avapro... my BP has been good. Most of the time when I take it systolic and diastolic are low. Diastolic is ALWAYS below 90. But sometimes when I take my BP my pulse is over 100 and my systolic is up. But my pulse randomly changes. Like right now its about 60 resting. I feel nice and relaxed. Sometimes when I'm running around and up and doing things its 100+ and my systolic is high.

Anyway, I work out every day. I've lost 30 pounds. I came down from 250 to 220.... and I'm still going! I'm eating right. Eating healthy. Veggies, etc. 30 pounds in 3 months!

Anyway, what I want to know is... my doctor right now wants to put me on Coreg instead of Veralin. He keeps saying "do it now and if you lose the 30 or 40 more pounds and your BP is fixed we can always take you off of it."... first my pulse has seemed to improve recently. Especially since I went on a medicine for my IBS which I have a deep down feeling IBS can cause high blood pressure/high pulse! (Maybe I'm wrong? But it seems to have lowered it for me!)

I want to know if anyone has ever heard of "getting off medications". As in, once I start a beta blocker, or even the calcium channel blocker I am on now, I am only 22. And if I work out every day for say 2-3 years... and I get in REAL tip top shape... are there chances of coming off one or more of these medications? Or am I doomed for life? And I know you're not doctors, but I want to know if there is at least a chance. I'd love to have something to look forward to.

At the same time, I know that some people say your body becomes dependent on things like beta blockers after a few months, so even if you become the #1 in shape athlete in America, and lose all your excess weight and eat right, your body will need the beta blocker forever.

Any comments?

Thanks!

-Matt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2006, 05:49 AM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: I'm 22, on high blood pressure meds, and my pulse goes wild..

Matt,
    The one thing that can take someone off these drugs is a large weight loss; sometimes the effect is INCREDIBLE.

It is true that your body grows dependent on these drugs and adjusts blood pressure accordingly, usually UP. That's why weaning is required and the longer you've been on them, the longer their effects will last and the longer the wean should be.

If I were you (don't take this as advice) I'd cut the drugs in half and see what is the effect of the 30 pound weight loss. But then I've always been big on self-experimenting.

How tall are you?

I've been on BP meds for 25 years and I'm ready for another trial of NOTHING...at least 60 days...and maybe forever. <Shhh, don't tell my GP.>

Last edited by Lenin; 03-22-2006 at 05:51 AM.

Old 03-22-2006, 06:43 AM   #3
    manlyman
    (male)

manlyman HB User

Good to know

I'm 5' 8", 220 pounds. I WAS 250. Two years ago I was 231 when I first started having BP trouble.... so I am already well passed the problematic stage.

The past three days have been INCREDIBLE on my pulse rate. This morning at the doctors my BP was 148/80 (eh...) but my pulse was 72! Its been over 100 repeatedly for the past few weeks, but ever since I started my IBS medication for my stomach on Monday, my pulse has gone DOWN. The doctor says its odd..... my pulse should actually go UP with this medication. The way I see it, every morning for my entire life I've sweat, strained, and irritated myself with a bad stomach. Now I'm not doing that, so my body isn't getting physically exerted in the morning. The high systolic this morning (hopefully) was just a fluke, but even if it isn't!

I work out every day. And I AM DETERMINED to lose another 20 pounds. I'd love to be 200. I am 5' 8" but I am a big build. My dad is pretty in shape, is 3" shorter than me, and weighs about 190. I weighed 165 in high school and I was pretty in shape back then .... so anyway, once I break 200 I hope my BP will shoot down!

I don't think I'm going to stop medication right now, but I don't think I'm going to go start a beta blocker for at least 3 months. With a BP at 148/80, and I know I've been averaging about 130/80... its still a little high, and the high pulses are a little high too, but for 3 months, especially working out every day, I think it might be worth it just to see what happens......

Comments?
    -Matt

Old 03-22-2006, 11:30 AM   #4
    pal7778
    Veteran
    (male)

pal7778 HB User

Good idea to stick with the med for now and stay far away from the beta blocker. Lose the weight, give yourself a couple months with the med and the low weight, and then try the weaning.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:56 PM   #5
    manlyman
    (male)

manlyman HB User

Problem is my systolic has been really high....

140-150 averaging.

Diastolic has been GREAT since Monday. less than 80. and pulse is 80 or less. If only I could get that systolic down I would be GOLDEN.

Can systolic be high from being tired? I got like 2 hours of sleep last night.

Old 03-29-2006, 05:49 PM   #6
    manlyman
    (male)

manlyman HB User

Any responses?

Old 03-31-2006, 10:04 PM   #7
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Yes, I've noticed that my BP tends to be higher with lack of sleep. In the neighborhood of 5-10 points higher systolic, I'd guess. It is also higher if I don't eat enough veggies or (to a lesser extent) if I don't get enough calcium in the diet.

I was able to get off BP medication after being on it for five years, but I was on an ACE inhibitor, which doesn't seem to have the problems with withdrawal as some other types. Also, my usual systolic pressure was only in the 140s, with occasional spikes into the 150s and 160s before I started the meds. I am, however, low-normal weight at 122 pounds, 5'5". People who are overweight can often drop their BP considerably by losing weight, but I had to rely on other means. In my case it was reduced stress and change in diet to more veggies and fruit.

I also have IBS, and am not at all surprised that your BP and pulse are under better control once your IBS is under better control. I'd have to go back and look at my records, but I think the same happened to me. I didn't use medication to get my IBS under control, though. I did have to back off some from my near-vegetarian diet, which was really high in fiber, but great for the BP. But primarily what solved my problem was that I learned that if a person with IBS eats insoluble fiber, they have to eat plenty of soluble fiber in the same meal. So now if I think I'm not getting enough soluble fiber with a meal that includes a big salad, for example, I just take some Metamucil with that same meal and it solves the problem. Might not work for everyone, though.

Old 04-01-2006, 06:02 AM   #8
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Matt,

Consider adding a diuretic to the verapamil. It might be exactly what your systolic needs.
    I think your weight goal should be <180 pounds...for the rest of your life. It might eliminate the need for any of these drugs.
    (A 140-150 systolic isn't "very" high, just high )

Old 04-01-2006, 12:34 PM   #9
    manlyman
    (male)

manlyman HB User

I'm struggling for the less than 180!

I WAS at 260 and now 220, so halfway there!

But you know what? My health seems to be getting worse with the more I exercise... go figure right?

Like today, my pulse is over 100 resting?! I do have strep throat and am taking anti biotics for it now, but I do not know if an infection like this can raise your pulse? Never heard of that.

But go figure, I know I'm going to go to the doctors on Monday and he's going to look at my blood work, urine workup, holter monitor results, echocardiogram results, stress test results, EVERYTHING. I've had EVERYTHING done....

And he's going to say the same thing he always says:

"You're 22, you work out, you eat healthy, and all your tests come back fine... but for some reason, you have a very rapid heart beat and very high blood pressure, so we have to put you on the beta blocker."

I always deny it. But ... for some reason, I might not anymore. Because the "better" I get, the worst I become. For instance, before I lost weight, I was not impotent. Now... I've lost 40 pounds, work out every day, and I haven't improved at all... in fact, I've gotten worse. My pulse is much faster now than it was before I lost weight, and I am more impotent now than I was then. Yet none of the medicines I am on right now have a side effect of impotentcy.

I just wish I could get this under control. Please, if anyone has any advice whatsoever.... I am seeing my nephrologist on Monday, and then my cardiologist on Tuesday. HOPEFULLY my pulse will slow down by then, but its been constantly over 100 for a good two days now.

-matt

Old 04-01-2006, 12:35 PM   #10
    manlyman
    (male)

manlyman HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Uff-Da!
    Yes, I've noticed that my BP tends to be higher with lack of sleep. In the neighborhood of 5-10 points higher systolic, I'd guess. It is also higher if I don't eat enough veggies or (to a lesser extent) if I don't get enough calcium in the diet.

I was able to get off BP medication after being on it for five years, but I was on an ACE inhibitor, which doesn't seem to have the problems with withdrawal as some other types. Also, my usual systolic pressure was only in the 140s, with occasional spikes into the 150s and 160s before I started the meds. I am, however, low-normal weight at 122 pounds, 5'5". People who are overweight can often drop their BP considerably by losing weight, but I had to rely on other means. In my case it was reduced stress and change in diet to more veggies and fruit.

I also have IBS, and am not at all surprised that your BP and pulse are under better control once your IBS is under better control. I'd have to go back and look at my records, but I think the same happened to me. I didn't use medication to get my IBS under control, though. I did have to back off some from my near-vegetarian diet, which was really high in fiber, but great for the BP. But primarily what solved my problem was that I learned that if a person with IBS eats insoluble fiber, they have to eat plenty of soluble fiber in the same meal. So now if I think I'm not getting enough soluble fiber with a meal that includes a big salad, for example, I just take some Metamucil with that same meal and it solves the problem. Might not work for everyone, though.
    So you think that IBS can play a big roll in pulse/BP?

Old 04-01-2006, 08:59 PM   #11
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I am certain that my pulse was up when my intestines were giving me the most trouble, as I remember noticing that several times. That's not to say it is necessarily true for others, but it sure was for me. I'm less certain about the BP relationship, though. I looked back at my records this morning, but unfortunately I didn't make enough notations about which days my IBS was acting up the most, so I really couldn't tell for sure.

Have you ever tried deep breathing exercises for your blood pressure? I've had good success with bringing my BP down quickly when it gets elevated due to stress through deep, s-l-o-w breathing. In fact just last night I got really stressed out after a disagreement with someone on another message board. My systolic was up to 188! That is highly unusual for me; it may happen only once a year or so to my knowledge. Anyway, I checked it just before eating dinner, then ate a quick meal, then did deep breathing exercises for a few minutes. And my SBP went down to 124! That was all within about 15 minutes. Usually after getting stressed out, my BP would take hours to return to normal range without the deep breathing. You might want to try it. Aim for 6-8 deep breaths per minute.

Old 04-02-2006, 04:27 PM   #12
    manlyman
    (male)

manlyman HB User

Nope, haven't tried the deep breathing exercises. I guess I will try them. I got a video on them a few days ago.

Old 04-02-2006, 07:06 PM   #13
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjuszczak
    My health seems to be getting worse with the more I exercise... go figure right?

Like today, my pulse is over 100 resting?! I do have strep throat and am taking anti biotics for it now, but I do not know if an infection like this can raise your pulse? Never heard of that.
    From what I've seen, pulse and BP go up with some infections, and go down with others. If your pulse is still up when you see the doctor, you might raise this possibility with him.

Quote:
    But go figure, I know I'm going to go to the doctors on Monday and he's going to look at my blood work, urine workup, holter monitor results, echocardiogram results, stress test results, EVERYTHING. I've had EVERYTHING done....

And he's going to say the same thing he always says:

"You're 22, you work out, you eat healthy, and all your tests come back fine... but for some reason, you have a very rapid heart beat and very high blood pressure, so we have to put you on the beta blocker."
    If the doctor agrees that your strep throat might make your pulse higher than normal, you might want to push for holding off on additional medication until you are well and can better evaluate the results of your weight loss, etc. Also let him know that you are going to try the deep breathing exercises, which have been shown to be effective for some people.

I'd suggest that you look up the research on the RESPeRATE device. It is an FDA-approved device for lowering blood pressure through deep breathing exercises. I'm not suggesting that you necessarily get it; the thing costs about $300. But just reading the research will give you background to talk to your doctor about how it has been shown that deep breathing really CAN help many people lower their BP.

In fact, if you believe that you have a bit of "white-coat syndrome," that is, your BP tends to go up in the presence of a doctor or nurse, you might want to do some deep-breathing exercises as you sit in the waiting room, to calm you down. Some people, like Lenin, says that NOTHING can help their white coat syndrome. Mine is less ingrained, I didn't have it until an unpleasant conversation with my doctor last year, so I've found that closing my eyes and doing the exercises while waiting helps keep my BP at the office closer to that which I'd normally get at home.

Oh, and try to eat several sticks of celery or pieces of raw broccoli on the way to the doctor tomorrow. Good for the blood pressure!

Closed Thread