It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Isosorbid Mono ??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2006, 08:07 PM   #1
    Stumper
    Inactive
    (male)

Stumper HB User
    Isosorbid Mono ??

This is a BP med that I noticed on a price list from Sams Club that I never heard of. When I did research on it I found not a whole lot of info, or even its class, but it looks like it has some interesting aspects. Even, on this forum I couldn't find it in the Search.
    But here is what I know....

It is cheap, according to Sams Clubs price at $7.88 for 30, or $16.54 for 90. Comes in a 30Mg. ER. Also it has a Chewable version. Hmmm....Anyone ever tried it or know anything. Lenin?
    Also it looks to dilate as a vasodilator around the heart lowering the BP.

Anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2006, 07:33 AM   #2
    illmakeit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

illmakeit HB User
    Re: Isosorbid Mono ??

I found info on the Texas Heart Institure site - Commonly Used Brand Names in the United States are:
    IMDUR (isosorbide mononitrate)
    ISMO (isosorbide mononitrate)
    Isordil (isosorbide dinitrate)
    Monoket (isosorbide mononitrate)
    Nitro-Dur (nitroglycerin)
    Nitrolingual (nitroglycerin)
    Nitrostat (nitroglycerin)
    Sorbitrate (isosorbide dinitrate)

Commonly Used Brand Names in Canada are:
    Apo-ISDN (isosorbide dinitrate)
    Coronex (isosorbide dinitrate)
    IMDUR (isosorbide mononitrate)
    ISMO (isosorbide mononitrate)
    Isordil (isosorbide dinitrate)
    Nitrostat (nitroglycerin)

Then they have all the other info about nitrates and Medicines for Cardiovascular Disease. You may want to look this up.

Old 04-08-2006, 06:02 PM   #3
    Stumper
    Inactive
    (male)

Stumper HB User

Thanks I'llmakeit,,,

I did find out that this drug is considered a "nitrate" at which I am totally unfamilar with. This may explain the chewable version.
    But yet, according to the Sams Club list they show it as a BP med...hmmm.

I don't know. Was wondering if anyone has tried or used for BP control?

Old 04-09-2006, 06:32 AM   #4
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Stump,

Any nitrate/nitrite will DRAMATICALLY drop BP. I've got teeny bottles of NITROQUICK, which is a sublingul product stored in the freezer. I hope I never need them (for angina )

I think the main difference in the formulations stems from the fact that you want to treat angina VERY FAST but you want to prevent attacks and keep BP low over a very long time.
    The stuff is available as a popper for a quick hit (glass ampules you break under your nose), a spray for under the tongue, sublingual tablets, and even a patch for long term administation of a small continuous dose.

As a BP drug, it is too frought with side-effects like a cracking nitrate headache and was superceded to a large event in the 60's once the first beta- blocker was invented. But it has no peer when it comes to stopping an angina attack in its tracks.

Since poppers provides a quick hit of NO (nitric oxide) to the cells, and NO is the chemical that makes for a male erection, they have long been used for "enhancing the experience," headache be damned.

Last edited by Lenin; 04-09-2006 at 06:34 AM.

Old 04-09-2006, 01:21 PM   #5
    Stumper
    Inactive
    (male)

Stumper HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    Stump,

Any nitrate/nitrite will DRAMATICALLY drop BP. I've got teeny bottles of NITROQUICK, which is a sublingul product stored in the freezer. I hope I never need them (for angina )

I think the main difference in the formulations stems from the fact that you want to treat angina VERY FAST but you want to prevent attacks and keep BP low over a very long time.
    The stuff is available as a popper for a quick hit (glass ampules you break under your nose), a spray for under the tongue, sublingual tablets, and even a patch for long term administation of a small continuous dose.

As a BP drug, it is too frought with side-effects like a cracking nitrate headache and was superceded to a large event in the 60's once the first beta- blocker was invented. But it has no peer when it comes to stopping an angina attack in its tracks.

Since poppers provides a quick hit of NO (nitric oxide) to the cells, and NO is the chemical that makes for a male erection, they have long been used for "enhancing the experience," headache be damned.

Lenin,

Thanks a great deal for the info. It almost sounds as though it is kind of like an "emergency" pill.

I was looking over some of Sams prices on some of these and they are really reasonable, so it seems.

Enalapril is $13.78 for 90 of them 10mg. Lisinopril is the same. So is Triam /HCTZ

Old 04-10-2006, 05:27 AM   #6
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

You know the old movie cliche where a rich old duffer was just given shocking news and tells his greedy 20 year old wife "My PILLS, get me my pills" (while he clutches his chest)...and she makes believe she can't find them while she puffs away on a cigarette smiling, because she's antsy to inherit the several millions he's worth. That's a bottle of nitrates.
    So they are very much an "emergency pill."

My easy access club membership...a 10 minute walk...is B.J.'s Warehouse and they just put in a pharmacy but I've haven't checked it out yet.

For me though, it's mostly moot because my HMO negotiates low prices with ALL the pharmacies and thus the price is always identical (and I pay half.) So I stroll 5 minutes to Target Greatland store because their service is good and they have everything in stock...and it's next door to my A&P.

Are you SURE of that $13.78 for 90 enalapril 10 mg.. My fave online pharmacy, always low prices, quotes $47.99. I've NEVER seen a spread that wide.

Last edited by Lenin; 04-10-2006 at 05:34 AM.

Old 04-10-2006, 02:34 PM   #7
    Stumper
    Inactive
    (male)

Stumper HB User

Quote:
    You know the old movie cliche where a rich old duffer was just given shocking news and tells his greedy 20 year old wife "My PILLS, get me my pills" (while he clutches his chest)...and she makes believe she can't find them while she puffs away on a cigarette smiling, because she's antsy to inherit the several millions he's worth. That's a bottle of nitrates.
    So they are very much an "emergency pill."

My easy access club membership...a 10 minute walk...is B.J.'s Warehouse and they just put in a pharmacy but I've haven't checked it out yet.

For me though, it's mostly moot because my HMO negotiates low prices with ALL the pharmacies and thus the price is always identical (and I pay half.) So I stroll 5 minutes to Target Greatland store because their service is good and they have everything in stock...and it's next door to my A&P.

Are you SURE of that $13.78 for 90 enalapril 10 mg.. My fave online pharmacy, always low prices, quotes $47.99. I've NEVER seen a spread that wide.

Lenin,

Yes, I just checked the sheet the pharmacist gave me and $13.78 for 90 is correct. And for 30 it is $5.38. That is a cash price without insurance. Of course I pay a $30.00 a year membership fee which is really quite good. If you have ever been in one they have fantastic prices on everything including bulk items. It's probably my favorite place just to spend time looking even if I don't buy.
    But beware of the bakery ! It is set up to entice, and entice it does ! If I was in my 20's again, I would live there.
    They have unbelievable prices on Vites and OTC meds. I mean, you really won't find lower as much is sold in bulk. Geez, I just saw 100ct. Claritin in there for $31.00 ! Anywhere else I tried like Giant Eagle, or other well known pharmacies and they are about $1.00 a pill on average for lower amounts. HUGE bottles of fish oils for $6.00 ! You can buy three packs of Prilosec there for the price of one elsewhere. I just bought their Tylenol equivalent of 500Mg. 1,000ct.,,Yes TWO bottles at 500ct. each, both for $5.35 ! Works every bit as good. I had so many I gave one bottle away.

It's just interesting to look, if nothing else.

Heh...I JUST saw a soap the other night and the EXACT thing happened that you mentioned. When the man who was having a heart attack reached for his pills she knocked them off the bedstand ! And THEN moments later called 911 ! No wonder people get hooked on soaps.
    Anyway, for sure they were nitrates !

Last edited by Stumper; 04-10-2006 at 02:37 PM.

Old 04-11-2006, 05:36 AM   #8
    Stumper
    Inactive
    (male)

Stumper HB User

Lenin,

Meant to mention that I am going to be getting some Kefir grains. Hopefully I will have them by the end of the week. Got them from a auction site.

I heard that (read) Dom ,that commercial starters are not as good, they are taken from real grains and cannot perform in all different types of milk, only in pasturized. Plus it looks as only 7 or 8 batches is all they will do.

Anyway, $3.99 plus $7.00 shipping, total 10.99 for 1/4 cup. Looking forward to it.

I am thinking they might help my BP? Wishful thinking perhaps.

Last edited by Stumper; 04-11-2006 at 05:37 AM.

Old 04-11-2006, 06:35 AM   #9
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Enjoy the kefir...

I just gave away a batch last week. Don't get hopes up for BP relief, but kefir is just WONDERFUL for the digestive system...colon pathogens don;t stand a chance.

The "starter" powders are kefir once removed...they'll usually do only a single batch, rarely two. I've had my grains for 8 years, given away about 100 batches of grains and they are still going strong. The Russians have developed a mass production method where they make one batch from grains and then use the kefir to innoculate hundreds of gallons...teeny squirt in each bottle. It works only once though.

Good luck with yours.
    If you need any help, start a thread in the DIET AND NUTRITION page in this forum. I could write a book on it.

Old 04-11-2006, 01:30 PM   #10
    Stumper
    Inactive
    (male)

Stumper HB User

Quote:
    Enjoy the kefir...

I just gave away a batch last week. Don't get hopes up for BP relief, but kefir is just WONDERFUL for the digestive system...colon pathogens don;t stand a chance.

The "starter" powders are kefir once removed...they'll usually do only a single batch, rarely two. I've had my grains for 8 years, given away about 100 batches of grains and they are still going strong. The Russians have developed a mass production method where they make one batch from grains and then use the kefir to innoculate hundreds of gallons...teeny squirt in each bottle. It works only once though.

Good luck with yours.
    If you need any help, start a thread in the DIET AND NUTRITION page in this forum. I could write a book on it.

Lenin,

I might just do that... I am sure to have a few questions along the way. She is supposed to include instructions and all.
    Amazing though...there are several selling it and I was just about to leap on one and somebody sniped it from me. And this was about midnight ! But mine is comming from Ilinoise though which is much closer.
    That glass of milk looked delectible to say the least!

Anyway, good info on the nitrates. I still kinda would like to see how that man with the heart attack wound up though. MAYBE he survived AFTER she called 911 and is in a comba. THAT is how those things usually wind up in soaps...hopefully he won't awake to tell the story.

Closed Thread