It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Lowering BP on the spot? (Important!)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-14-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
    maliaka
    (female)

maliaka HB User
    Lowering BP on the spot? (Important!)

Hello,

A few months ago I went to a women's health clinic to get a renewed prescription of my birth control pills. Due to my anxiety and nervousness (white coat syndrome to the extreme!) my BP was through the roof, the systolic was 170 I recall. The poor nurses had to retake several times and it did not go down enough (enough for them is below 140/90) for them to give me my pills.

Over the last couple months I have been taking my own BP regularly at the grocery store's pharmacy and it has been a little high, but well below the clinic's standards of 140/90. The systolic is usually 130-139 and the diastolic is usually always less than 85.

I know my BP will be high if I go to the clinic again because I always get super nervous, so I called the clinic up and they told me I can go to the pharmacy and have a pharmastist "authorize" that my BP is really that number when I take it, and that would be enough proof for the clinic. Sounds easy, right? Wrong.
    I've gone to the same pharmacy a couple times now and have been very nervous over the simple task of asking the pharmasist to do this for me. I get nervous SOO easily even when I try to calm down and do deep breathing.

I am very worried about this problem because on Tuesday the 18th, I will be having a very important medical procedure done, in which case I assume they will not be able to perform the procedure if my BP is too high.

I have been writing down my PB on the sheets they provide at the pharmacy, but I don't expect the clinic to believe I am telling the truth, not without other proof, you know?

I'm sorry this is so long, but I'm getting to the end!

Please, is there anything you guys know of that can help relax me dramatically? A technique, a pill, anything at all? This is very important.

Thank you for reading!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2006, 12:49 AM   #2
    RedmoonHH
    (female)

RedmoonHH HB User
    Re: Lowering BP on the spot? (Important!)

Hiya,

I have the same problem! I do have high bp normally also though and take bp meds. But when I am going to either the dentist or doctor never fails it sky rockets. I am in the process of having major dental work done and the dentist refuses to do anything if my bp is up, so first couple of visits I made sure to take my bp meds not to early and not to late so that they could kick in, I even took one while waiting in waiting area, this didn't work either lol. Even the dentist witnessed my bp going up right after the taking of one of my bp meds. Well after a bit of sitting in chair and relaxing and them telling me to try and go to sleep it went down enough for them to remove 4 of my top teeth but on the 5th that wasn't numb enough well it skyrocketed so back home I was sent with a new appointment date. Now here is the weird part, to keep myself from feeling any pain I decided to take a pain pill that the dentist had prescribed after the last extractions that morning before going to dentist and guess what my bp was actually Low!! I have from now on taking some form of pain med seems to relax me before I go see any doc, and even my doctor has offered a nerve pill or pain meds if this will keep me from having a heart attack in a doc office lol. So talk to your doctor they maybe able to help you if you suggest you want to try it. Good luck I know how disappointing it is esp when you have plans for a procedure.

Last edited by RedmoonHH; 04-15-2006 at 12:49 AM.

Old 04-15-2006, 06:21 AM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

maliaka,

There is a monitor that you can wear for 24 hours that takes your BP periodically and it will provide the clinic with a printout. For some reason these gadgets are VERY rarely used. Maybe doctors don't really want the chance for a patient to say "I TOLD you so." Ask if they have one at the clinic (not to be confused with a Holter monitor.)

I have been searching for a way to lower my BP in a doctor's office and have even taken dangerously large mixes of drugs and NOTHING WORKS for White Coat Hypertension. Even potent beta blockers like nadolol mixed with large doses of valium and diuretics...NOTHING!

Old 04-15-2006, 10:14 PM   #4
    maliaka
    (female)

maliaka HB User

"I am in the process of having major dental work done and the dentist refuses to do anything if my bp is up"

Wow, I didn't know some dentists take patient's blood pressure. I had my four molars pulled (2 at a time) and they never took my BP, nor did they say a word about it. Interesting.
    I wouldn't be against taking meds like you, but I have no money and no health insurance, so that's not a big possibility right now. I'm overweight so I think that plays into my BP being higher than it should be, but I'm working on becoming more active physically, since that has worked in the past.

"There is a monitor that you can wear for 24 hours that takes your BP periodically and it will provide the clinic with a printout."

I've never heard of such a thing, but I will look into it! Sadly, I am flat broke, but it would be a good thing for me to have in the future I'm sure, even if I can't get one before Tuesday.

Thanks for the replies

Old 04-20-2006, 08:54 AM   #5
    smyrnaboy
    (male)

smyrnaboy HB User
    You Have the Right to Refuse

to have your BP taken. I have had white coat since a teenager, and still do to this day at 32. Mine has gone as high as 174/72, and my family physician simply laughed and disregarded it.

Old 04-23-2006, 08:32 PM   #6
    pal7778
    Veteran
    (male)

pal7778 HB User

Lots of people's bp is significantly lower right after moderate to vigorous exercise. It may be hard, of course, to arrange a trip to the dentist w that in mind. A single glass of wine acting as downer might also work. Lenin: Those extreme efforts to impress the doctor are the first thing I've read by you that seems a bit crazy. Of course my first reading at the doctor's is always much higher than any other anywhere. But who cares, at this point? I also get a high reading the first time I take it after taking several days off from taking or thinking about it. But that proves nothing.

Old 04-24-2006, 05:52 AM   #7
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

pal,

It's not really to "impress" him but rather to get his needle out of the track of the broken record where my whole office visit is devoted to blood pressure.

The whole 15-30 minutes or so is too often wasted on the SAME discussion surrounding his innate disbelief in the concept of white coat hypertension ("but if your BP is raised HERE, when else is it raised? yada yada") and we ignore things that are really important to me...like heart disease, plaque, gout, bad back.

I went in once with diarrhea so bad (nearly 100 times in 5 days ) that my otosurgeon and I both suspected C. difficile after a course of 2 potent antibiotics. Otosurgeon immediately sent me down to my GP and he actually manged to turn even THAT visit into nonsense about BP.

I KNOW I should get a new GP, but breaking a new one in seems like torture to me and I'm only a few years from Medicare and a whole new health care system...so it's a frying pan/fire kind of thing. I keep him on because he gives me any referral I ask for without any questions. But alas, the only subject he wants to talk about is my BP (which is probably pretty close to normal in fact, even unmedicated.)

I no longer try to "impress" him but have taken to blowing him off with a line like "Get that thing away from me" <with a forced smile> when he approaches with a BP cuff. I must say the last time he tested my BP, he uttered not a word...and I didn't ask...maybe he's learning...SLOWLY!

It was exactly the same scenario with my last GP, AND my cardiologist...but the latter actually BELIEVED that I was the worst case of white coat he'd ever seen.

It's a control freak thing with me...but knowing that doesn't make it any different.

Last edited by Lenin; 04-24-2006 at 06:00 AM.

Closed Thread