It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Atenolol should be banned!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-02-2006, 07:14 AM   #1
    Very Unhappy
    (female)

Very Unhappy HB User
    Atenolol should be banned!

Hiya

I am new to these boards so please bear with me!

I was delighted when I found this board and it has made me feel so much better because at the moment I am very unhappy (see my name!).

Let me begin my tale of woe!

I am 31 years old. I have had high blood pressure since the age of about 19 but doctors suspect I have had it before then. I was never offered any treatment as it is only slightly high. I changed my doctor due to moving and this doctor felt it essential that tests were done due to my high BP. So off I went to the hospital and all kinds of tests were done (this happened about 4 months ago or so). Nothing was found. So, the Consultant at the hospital recommended Atenolol to begin with.

For the first month of being on Atenolol I was fine. Just a little tired but okay otherwise. I did start to gain weight and I wasn't very pleased about this as I was 9pounds or so away from being within a healthy BMI so I just cut down on what I ate.

After about the first month the side effects started to hit me badly. I became VERY depressed and I have NEVER suffered from depression before. I was at Uni studying but couldn't get up, couldn't even be bothered to wash, I was hardly going to the toilet to urinate, I was constipated badly, I had the most awful dreams, my two thighs are covered in stretch marks due to an almost 30 POUND WEIGHT GAIN!

I had to leave uni as I was so depressed and couldn't get up at all. My whole personality changed. I went to my doctor who took me off the pills straight away. I am not on any thing at the moment as I need to lose all this excess weight and I told her I won't be taking any more pills in a hurry.

I am so angry because in such a short time my life fell apart. I gave up my degree (I hope to go back next February), gained so much weight, have the most horrible stretch marks on my thighs and I also snapped at people a lot.

Going by this message board and other boards I have visted Atenolol is a classic drug for doing this to people. It make me practically disabled. I went from being a happy 31 year old student trying to make her life better, I had a part-time job and ALMOST a figure I had dreamt of.

I have made an appointment for Acupunture and I am going to handle this the natural way.

Thanks for reading

Christine
    XX

Last edited by Very Unhappy; 05-02-2006 at 07:16 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Very Unhappy For This Useful Post:
    Djhouse (08-13-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2006, 07:56 AM   #2
    Autumn1

Autumn1 HB User
    Re: Atenolol should be banned!

I have been on Atenolol for over a year, 25 mg. just once a day.
    Several months after taking it I developed aching, arthritis type symptoms.
    I told my physician about this and he said he was unaware of this
    side effect. I am also (even on a low dose) tired and slightly depressed.
    I'm in my 50's and before taking a beta blocker I had spunk and energy and did not feel like I was dragging my body around. I'm wondering if anyone else
    taking this medication has experienced back and or/neck aches and tiredness.

Old 05-02-2006, 08:26 AM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Personally I think that atenoolol and beta-blockers are poor choices for just hypertension. If one has hypertension AND angina or tachycardia, then the inconvenience may be worth it.
    But they are such downers with SO many life mangling side effects that one should think long and hard about getting on them, often for LIFE!

Since there are many antihypertensive alternatives, it isn't hard to avoid the beta-blockers.

Old 05-02-2006, 10:05 AM   #4
    Very Unhappy
    (female)

Very Unhappy HB User

I started this post:

I was told I have 'mild hypertension' and apparently it gets well within the normal range at night and when I am sleeping. I personally think I should never have been put on atenolol. As I said above, I think it is because I am of child bearing age.

Reading through this board I was pretty shocked to read how many people below the age of 30 are getting prescribed powerful antihypertensive drugs and the amount of people that just cannot tolerate them. Instead of doctors advising people to make simple life changes they just throw pills at you.

I remember begging with the consultant to let me try and lose the final stone in weight and to get exercising more but no his answer was drugs and now I weigh more than I have weighed in my entire life.

I'll give you a laugh though: when went to my doctor telling her about my depression to begin with she said it wasn't atenolol and said she could prescribe me ANTI DEPRESSANTS!!! I have never suffered from depression in my life and what was her solution? To give me more pills! And there is more....she said my weight gain could be my thyroid and she would take blood.

I am still pretty angry that I ever put those pills down my throat.

Great place this is to vent your anger!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Very Unhappy For This Useful Post:
    Djhouse (08-13-2011)
    Old 05-02-2006, 12:19 PM   #5
    stellatj
    (female)

stellatj HB User

i am on atenolol 50 mg a day for the last 7 years i do feel tired at times but not sleepy. i also went from 225 lbs to 140 lbs of course that was doing weight watchers i am on it to help with my a-fib my blood pressure is anywhere from 90/48 to 112/70. i hope its not a bad drug to be taking.

Old 05-02-2006, 02:42 PM   #6
    arlmon18
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

arlmon18 HB User

I'm also take 50 mg of atenolol for a few years now. I just was reading on the heart board, that people have been getting palpitations from this med. I looked up the side effects again, and it didn't mention anything about fast heart beats, only slow. That doesn't mean to say that it will happen to you - they have to list all the possible side effects. I haven't gained any weight from atenolol - only from eating chocolate. I will ask my doctor in 2 weeks about it - I'm having doubts about taking it. Also, I take it along with 40 mg. of micardis. To tell you the truth, I wish I wasn't taking any meds at all.

Old 05-02-2006, 07:22 PM   #7
    vipergg22
    Inactive

vipergg22 HB User

For mild hypertension beta blockers should not be the first line , in fact for first line they should just use a diuretic and see what that gets you then use the lowest dose of some other med like angiotensin or calcium channel blockers if the water pills don't work.. They put me on Toprol and I so tired and didn't feel like doing anything , also lowered my heartrate into the lowers 40's for pulse rate .

Old 05-03-2006, 09:52 AM   #8
    pal7778
    Veteran
    (male)

pal7778 HB User

Any medicine-induced heart rate under 60 couldn't possibly be a good thing, although I admit there may be some cases where's there's no alternative.

Old 05-03-2006, 10:51 AM   #9
    arlmon18
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

arlmon18 HB User

I was taking a mild diuretic along with 50 mg. of atenolol, and a blood test showed that my potassium was slightly low. My doctor took me off the Lozide and replaced it with Micardis. He gave me a BP monitor to take readings at home, and I can see that they were lower with the diuretic.

Old 05-13-2006, 03:04 PM   #10
    jdchablis
    (female)

jdchablis HB User

After reading some of the posts concerning Atenolol, I feel that perhaps I am not nuts, as I was beginning to believe! I have been on this drug since January 06, and in the past two months, have been having a terrible time. Thought I had the "flu" bug a month or so ago; woke up with terrible pressure in the head and a severe back ache. After many visits to my doctor and emergency rooms, I am quite convinced these meds may be causing my trouble. Have had mild sinus trouble and ear infections in the past, which have all been treated successfully with anti-biotics. I have an ear infection for about a month now, been taking anti-biotics, and it is getting better. However, my neck is very stiff and it hurts behind my ears, plus my back is bothering me constantly. Like "Very Unhappy" and "Autumn 1", I also think Atenolol is a terrible drug. I felt good untill I began this drug for high blood pressure. I am trying to convince my doctor that all this is side effects from the meds, but he says NO! I began to wean myself off of the Atenolol yesterday, taking 1/2 of the .25mg pill, and will do this for a week, and then perhaps none at all. Hopefully I will see in a week or so if all this pain subsides, then it must be the pill! Thanks for listening, and hope everyone writes more concerning the Atenolol. It is good to hear other people's experiences, and maybe, just maybe, I am not imagining all this!

Old 05-13-2006, 03:16 PM   #11
    Autumn1

Autumn1 HB User

Please update us and let us know how you are doing after being
    Atenolol-free for awhile. Curious to see if your neck and backaches
    go away. It is listed as a possible side effect of the atenolol, but so
    small that doctors usually brush it aside. Still, we know our bodies and
    recall how we felt before the medication and how we feel now.
    Good luck.

Old 05-13-2006, 03:44 PM   #12
    timberman
    (male)

timberman HB User

Please..NOOOO!

I didn't even know I had high bp (170/107), until I broke my leg and ended up in the ER.
    I've been on 50mg of Atenolol for over 10 years, and my wife has been on it for 6 years. Neither of us have had any of the side effects mentioned in this thread.
    It's cheap and it works (for many of us).

Just my two cents...

Old 05-13-2006, 07:16 PM   #13
    jdchablis
    (female)

jdchablis HB User

Yes, some people don't have any side effects from taking bp medication! I was nervous about starting the meds, so I asked around and found many of my friends already on different medications, and most of them had no side effects at all. So, I said to myself, go ahead and start your pills........but, it figures I would be the one that has annoying side effects! I seem to always be the strange one that things happen to!! I actually envy the people that have no side effects, and glad the meds are working for you and helping to maintain good health. I will post as to how my tapering off of the Atenolol is going, and if the side effects have lessened or gone away. I surely am praying they all go away because I can't figure out any other reason for them. Gets depressing after awhile.

Old 05-14-2006, 04:57 PM   #14
    arlmon18
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

arlmon18 HB User

I didn't realize how many people take Atenolol ! I've been taking it for a few years - 50 mg. once daily. I take it along with Micardis (40 mg), which I started last month. I was taking the atenolol with a diuretic, but my potassium level was slightly low, so my doctor took me off it. I would like to know what other alternatives there are? I read posts where people take other meds for BP, and they're not happy with them either. I also feel very tired - don't have the energy I used to have before the medication. I'm going to speak to my doctor next week and see what he says. Maybe he can reduce the dose and put me on something else. I wish I didn't have to take anything - Period !!!!

Old 05-15-2006, 03:11 AM   #15
    Very Unhappy
    (female)

Very Unhappy HB User
    Cool Re: Atenolol should be banned!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdchablis
    After reading some of the posts concerning Atenolol, I feel that perhaps I am not nuts, as I was beginning to believe! I have been on this drug since January 06, and in the past two months, have been having a terrible time. Thought I had the "flu" bug a month or so ago; woke up with terrible pressure in the head and a severe back ache. After many visits to my doctor and emergency rooms, I am quite convinced these meds may be causing my trouble. Have had mild sinus trouble and ear infections in the past, which have all been treated successfully with anti-biotics. I have an ear infection for about a month now, been taking anti-biotics, and it is getting better. However, my neck is very stiff and it hurts behind my ears, plus my back is bothering me constantly. Like "Very Unhappy" and "Autumn 1", I also think Atenolol is a terrible drug. I felt good untill I began this drug for high blood pressure. I am trying to convince my doctor that all this is side effects from the meds, but he says NO! I began to wean myself off of the Atenolol yesterday, taking 1/2 of the .25mg pill, and will do this for a week, and then perhaps none at all. Hopefully I will see in a week or so if all this pain subsides, then it must be the pill! Thanks for listening, and hope everyone writes more concerning the Atenolol. It is good to hear other people's experiences, and maybe, just maybe, I am not imagining all this!
    Hi there

I started this post. I have now been off Atenolol for almost a month and I feel like my life is mine again.

You are not going mad. That drug destroyed me. You have read my post so I don't need to repeat all the side effects I had over a very short period of time. The depression and the tiredness was the worst - most defo. I thought I would end up being admitted to a psychiatric hospital I was so badly depressed.

Since being of that awful drug I have lost about 8pounds in weight, I have high energy levels, the red marks on the inside of my thighs look like they are starting to go and I most importantly I feel HAPPY again. The other good news is that my uni course say I can come back next February (I was training to be an Occupational Therapist) so I am over the moon about that. At the moment I am looking for temping work to earn me some money. I would say, however, my concentration is not what is used to be. I feel my cognitive ability has been impaired somewhat.

When I told my doctor she didn't really believe me either. I took myself off those damn pills (risky I know, but I had no quality of life anyway!!) and I won't be taking any other antihypertensive drugs. I only have mild hypertensive anyway and I think if I got down to an acceptable body weight, exercised more, drank less coffee and ate more healthy it will most likely come down by itself.

I am drinking lots of dandelion tea as it is a natural diuretic and high in potassium (sp?).

I hope everything works out for you. I still think this drug is leathel. Yes, some people have very few side effects, but I believe I should never have been prescribed it. It knocked me out and caused so many problems in my every day living. I am happier now

I wish you all the best, remember ATENOLOL DOES cause severe side effects. Doctors are not HOLISTIC. They don't consider the WHOLE person. As long as they are treating the disease they are happy. They don't really give a toss to the other problems that arise (well, most doctors, not all of them of course).

Take care and keep in touch.

Christine
    XXX

Closed Thread