It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Cozaar and Avapro question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2006, 02:35 PM   #1
    Sister
    (female)

Sister HB UserSister HB User
    Question Cozaar and Avapro question

Hi - Does anyone know why a doctor would prescribe Cozaar instead of Avapro when all the medical websites say that Avapro (irbesartan) or candesartan (I forgot the name brand for this one) lowers blood pressure better than Cozaar? Is it that the doctor just doesn't know this or is there some other reason? Thanks for replies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2006, 03:10 PM   #2
    lane413
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lane413 HB User
    Re: Cozaar and Avapro question

Maybe his sales rep. works for the makers of cozaar. Some doctors have meds they prefer to prescribe over others. My mom's dr. hates lipitor and most always prescribe zocor.

Old 05-14-2006, 05:37 AM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Sister,

I'm with lane here.
    Doctor's form long term relationships with certain drug companies because a particular company has been particularly "generous" with particular doctors. Thus a Cozaar pusher was probably well rewarded by Merck and thus automatically write Rx's with Merck's drugs topmost in his mind.
    Such a doctor might be expected to choose ZOCOR for a statin and VIOXX for arthritis. If I sound cynical it's because I am.

Last edited by Lenin; 05-14-2006 at 05:37 AM.

Old 05-14-2006, 08:04 AM   #4
    wiredqs
    Veteran
    (female)

wiredqs HB User

It also may depend on your insurance. I saw a chart in my Drs' office that showed which med for which insurance co.

Old 05-14-2006, 08:33 PM   #5
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sister
    Hi - Does anyone know why a doctor would prescribe Cozaar instead of Avapro when all the medical websites say that Avapro (irbesartan) or candesartan (I forgot the name brand for this one) lowers blood pressure better than Cozaar? Is it that the doctor just doesn't know this or is there some other reason? Thanks for replies.
    Candersartan is Atacand. Like everyone said, some drs. just prefer certain meds. Could be your insurance company, as mine has Atacand as a preferred drug, yet not Avapro. I am on Avapro, and when I asked my pharmacist if there was any price difference, he said the Atacand is only about 40 cents lower priced for a monts supply, so go figure????

My dr. gave me some samples of the Atacand as I complained about backaches, which I know Avapro can cause, but they didn't stop with the Atacand. Actually just about every ARB I looked up has backache as a side effect, and me being so sensative to meds., of course I get the lower backache. I can't take an Ace, as I get the horrid cough, so I guess I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. Still have no idea why insurance companies have a list of preferred drugs, especially when the price difference is only about a lousy 40 cents a month.........

Old 05-15-2006, 05:47 AM   #6
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I just cannot WAIT until the patent runs out on the ARB's.
    Then you'll hear doctors spout,"Oh THOSE drugs were never much good for blood pressure anyway!"
    It's as inevitable as night following day!

Old 05-15-2006, 06:02 AM   #7
    pal7778
    Veteran
    (male)

pal7778 HB User

arbs are expensive and don't work all that well. they are a decent supplement to a more powerful drug. their main advantage is no side effects in most cases. if you have side effects, try something else. i take avapro, which cost me a bit more than other arbs would because of the inexplicable insurance preferences..

Old 05-15-2006, 04:07 PM   #8
    lane413
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lane413 HB User

JJ, I know that insurance companies also play a big part of what a dr. will prescribed bucz my mom just got a letter from Excellus B/s stating zocor will no longer be on the drug list and they gave her a list of subsitutes.

Old 05-16-2006, 05:30 AM   #9
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lane,

Zocor will not be available on any insurance company pharmacopeia becaue it JUST went generic. So now it can be bought as simvastatin. Only one company is making it as I type and they cahrge just as much ad the brand name...but that will change by the end of the year as more and more generic companies get on the bandwagon.

My insurance company will pay for them all equally, but once a generic comes out, THAT'S the only one they'll pick up.

I was stunned though when I asked my pharmacist about the generic and she looked it up and said the retail is $106/month <gaccch!>

Old 05-17-2006, 11:17 AM   #10
    lane413
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lane413 HB User

Thath's still high. My grandmother said she went to get three prescriptions and paid $400 for a thirty day supply. I think she said it was cozaar, a diuretic and a cholesterol med. Boy that's a lot of money for pills.

Old 05-17-2006, 03:41 PM   #11
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lane413
    JJ, I know that insurance companies also play a big part of what a dr. will prescribed bucz my mom just got a letter from Excellus B/s stating zocor will no longer be on the drug list and they gave her a list of subsitutes.
    These insurance companies are getting out of control. Some people have to take a certain drug and yet if it isn't on their list, U can't get it. I know when hubby first went to the VA, they wanted to substitute a drug his urologist prescribed for his prostate, but the dr. said NO, he was treating the root of the problem, not the symptoms, so they made sure he got the right med. Geez, bad enough U have to pay thru the nose for meds., now they want to dictate which one U take.......... To me it is just an never ending battle no matter what U try to do. Can't believe your grandmother had to shell out 400 for 3 meds..HOLY MOLEY!! If hubby didn't go thru the Va, we would probably be in the poorhouse with all his meds..........

Old 05-18-2006, 12:01 PM   #12
    Sister
    (female)

Sister HB UserSister HB User
    Question Re: Cozaar and Avapro question

Does anyone know when the patent runs out on ARBs? They were approved in 1998.

Old 05-18-2006, 12:27 PM   #13
    npp33
    (male)

npp33 HB User

It depends. First you need to know the date the patent application was filed. Visit the USPTO website at [url]www.uspto.gov[/url] and search for an ARB patent on their search engine.

If it was filed prior to June 8, 1995, the term is either 17 years from when the patent ISSUED, or 20 years from when the app was FILED, whichever is greater.

If filed after June 8 1995, the term generally is 20 years from filing.

This is a general rule and there may be exceptions.

Old 05-20-2006, 04:36 AM   #14
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Cozaar/losartan, which I THINK was the first, has 3 patents that expire in 2010 and one, for something called the polymorph formulation, that expires in 2014.

Last edited by Lenin; 05-20-2006 at 04:37 AM.

Closed Thread