It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Question about lisinopril

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-05-2006, 06:24 PM   #1
    korunner
    (male)

korunner HB User
    Question about lisinopril

I was on lisinopril for about a month and then my doctor switched me to atenolol. My latest blood test now shows my TSH level is low and I may have hyperthyroidism. I had a blood test before I was put on lisinopril and my level was normal. Has anyone had a similar experience, or any thoughts on the subject? Thanks alot. This is all new to me and these boards help alot!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2006, 06:25 AM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: Question about lisinopril

korunner,

First off you need the complete thyroid results including Free T3 and T4.

I doubt that the beta-blocker is the cause of the hyperthyroid condition because beta-blockers are actually used to TREAT the symptoms of hyperthyroidism.

Old 06-06-2006, 01:01 PM   #3
    korunner
    (male)

korunner HB User

I'm going for further testing and I assume the doctor will test for T3 and T4. I'm on a beta blocker now(atenolol) but I thought lisinopril was an ACE inhibitor. I had two good blood tests before going on the lisinopril and then changed to atenolol because I got the cough. My first blood test since taking the lisinopril showed the very low TSH(.004 to be exact). I was taken off the lisinopril the very same day, but my doctor didn't think the lisinopril caused the TSH reading. I thought it may have since it was the only change in my lifestyle since the two good tests. Hopefully the next test will reveal more.

Old 06-06-2006, 01:11 PM   #4
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by korunner
    I was on lisinopril for about a month and then my doctor switched me to atenolol. My latest blood test now shows my TSH level is low and I may have hyperthyroidism. I had a blood test before I was put on lisinopril and my level was normal.
    You're mixing me up, korunner...I don't know if that low TSH was after the lisinopril (the ACE inhibitor) or after the atenolol (the beta blocker.)

Your second post seems to indicate the low TSH CAUSED you to be taken off the lisinopril and put on the beta blocker and you haven't done another TSH after stopping the lisinopril? Is THAT the right interpretation?

Last edited by Lenin; 06-06-2006 at 01:13 PM.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:17 PM   #5
    lane413
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lane413 HB User

I'll bet it is the beta blocker! My mom was put on procardia back in 1992 after she had surgery. She stayed on procardia for four yrs, then her new dr. prescribed zestril for bp and rai for her thyroid. She now takes levothroid for her thyroid. My Diabetes Forecaster mentioned that beta blockers can affect the thyroid.

Old 06-06-2006, 07:59 PM   #6
    korunner
    (male)

korunner HB User

Your second post seems to indicate the low TSH CAUSED you to be taken off the lisinopril and put on the beta blocker and you haven't done another TSH after stopping the lisinopril? Is THAT the right interpretation?[/QUOTE]

Sorry I reread my post and it confused me too. You have it right here except that I was taken off the lisinopril due to having the dreaded cough. My doctor gave me the atenolol and gave me another blood test that same day and that test showed the low TSH. Up to that point I had been on lisinopril for about six weeks. I attributed the low TSH to the lisinopril but my doctor doesn't agree. I'm now on the beta blocker and will take another blood test in two weeks. I guess if that shows the TSH is back to normal then I know it was the lisinopril. If not, then it must be something else. Thanks for your insight and to this message board. I've been in fine health for all my life and this is messing with my head. This board has helped me to refocus and think straight.

Old 06-07-2006, 04:53 AM   #7
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

korunner,

I think I agree with your doctor. I really can't find any evidence to connect ACEI drugs with hyperthyroidism.
    I hope your upcoming retests show no problem with your thyroid.

Old 06-07-2006, 06:52 AM   #8
    korunner
    (male)

korunner HB User

Thanks, unfortunately I'm beginning to believe him too because I've been researching it and couldn't find any link either. I guess I'm just falling apart as I get older...

Closed Thread