It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Difference between Micardis and Diovan?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-04-2006, 01:00 PM   #1
    pharmasteve
    (male)

pharmasteve HB User
    Difference between Micardis and Diovan?

Hello all, I was wondering if someone can help me? I am going for a second round of interviewing for a pharm rep job next week and I was wondering if you can tell me the differance between Diovan and Micardis?

I know that Atacand, Avalide, Avapro, Cozaar, Hyzaar and Teveten are all competors. I am applying to be a rep for Micardis and my interviewer specifically mentioned Diovan as their competitor. I am wondering why Diovan has 60% of the market share and Micardis has only 4%? Can someone help me please? Thanks alot, I am new to this site but am hopeful in my new career I can be more aversed to healthcare advances.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2006, 06:16 AM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: Difference between Micardis and Diovan?

Steve,

There's not a lot of difference among the ARB's...all are weak antihypertensives that block the attatchment of angiotensin-2.
    Probably Diovan, with the intese backing of its powerful maufacturer, Novartis, has more money to spend on doctor "advertising" <or bribes, if you are a cynic > than does the lesser light, Boehringer-Ingleheim, the maker of Micardis.

The 60% figure for Diovan makes me scratch my head a bit; after all there are some strong competitors like Cozaar/ Hyzaar, Avapro, Atacand, Benicar and even the lowly Teveten along with the Micardis.
    It seems almost impossible to me that in that horserace, Diovan could get 60% of the market?????? Are you sure?

Old 07-05-2006, 02:18 PM   #3
    Brad53
    (male)

Brad53 HB User

If you get this job, I would like to hear, from an insider, about some of the many ways the pharm companies line the pockets of the doctors that push their medicines. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-06-2006, 05:02 AM   #4
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Brad,

I doubt that pharmacists are privvy to this information because they have no control on which drug to "push."
    You'd need an honest doctor who is less greedy than average to come forward and risk the loss of his medical credentials...or his LIFE.
    Some retiring doctor may someday write THE BOOK! It would be an interesting read. I'm sure it would make the PAYOLA scandal of the recording industry in the '60's or even the ENRON scandal look like kindergarten tea parties in comparison!
    I'm certain that many $$BILLIONS$$ are transferred from big pharma to doctors.

I just read (NYTimes) about a current common method of transferring funds: the largest drug companies give hundreds of thousands to each of many many "foundatons" set up by doctors and then these "foundations" fund research and development from medical groups that have these same doctors on their payroll AND these bribes then become deductible as "charity"...cute, eh?

Last edited by Lenin; 07-06-2006 at 05:08 AM.

Old 07-06-2006, 10:08 AM   #5
    arlmon18
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

arlmon18 HB User

Steve - I take Micardis Plus - my doctor switched me over to it a month ago.- so far so good. When I had my echogram on Tuesday at the hospital, I saw alot of packages of Micardis and Micardis Plus on the shelves. When reps come to the office where my friend works, they always bring lunch from the best restaurants. I'm sure there are many doctors getting "perks".

Old 07-07-2006, 04:47 AM   #6
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

My doctor's receptionists fought off 3 of the "let-have-lunch" bunch while I was there for about 45 minutes...all extremely beautiful women. Each handed the receptionist a package and one asked whether there was anything my doctor "NEEDS."

Old 02-07-2007, 05:56 PM   #7
    camjunkie
    (male)

camjunkie HB User

I know Micardis doesn't seem to be on a lot of insurance formularies. I am on my second carrier and they want me to pay $50 co-pays for Micardis versus $25 for Diovan.

Closed Thread