It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Lenin please compare Lasix to HCT

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-14-2006, 12:41 PM   #1
    cartner
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
    Lenin please compare Lasix to HCT

Hello Lenin,

Please if you have time can you compare Lasix to HCT? what are the side effects of each and the benefits?
    Thanks,
    Michael

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2006, 04:44 AM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: Lenin please compare Lasix to HCT

Well, Michael, first off they work on different portions of the kidney. The thiazides work in the distal (first) portion of the kidney tubule to enhance the removal of sodium and chloride.
    Lasix, on the other hand works further on in the tubule, in the Loop of Henle where sodium, potassium, magnesium, and chloride that were tossed off in the distal tubules are reabsorbed. Lasix blocks some of the resorption.

OK that, the biology.

On a practical level, from my experience with both is that the thiazide really does a much better job of removing sodium and the lasix a much better job of removing WATER. For me, thiazide always caused low sodium levels and the lasix (furosemide) keeps the sodium up.
    The net effect is that thiazide remains effective long after the sodium is dumped IF IT'S NOT REPLACED. Lasix on the other hand allows the water (and the BP) to return to unmedicated levels in a half day.
    Thus, if one is careful with salt, one can take thiazide in a large dose once or twice a week...Lasix really must be taken very regularly, like twice a day.

As far as ED goes, I find that neither is the clear winner, nor even if one or the other is an offender...I just don't know anything other than the claim that Lasix is only 25% as likely as thiazide to cause problems.

It really is remarkable though to experience the diuresis hour after a dose of Lasix...you pee and pee and pee for about 2 hours. I usually lose 3 pounds after my morning dose !

I hope that helped.

Last edited by Lenin; 07-15-2006 at 04:46 AM.

Old 07-15-2006, 05:05 AM   #3
    cartner
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Lenin,

Thank you very much, yes you have helped me a lot since I have came here. God bless you.

I have tried both HCT and Lasix and I think that HCT is more effective than Lasix. You are right in that Lasix doesn't give you the same effect as HCT, I tried only 25 mg of HCT and my blood pressure went down to 120/80 after few hours and it stayed there (unlike Lasix).

Lenin I don't understand what you meant by saying "As far as ED goes, I find that neither is the clear winner, nor even if one or the other is an offender". I remember that you have said before that both cause ED .

If I used HCT is there anything you can tell me to watch for?
    Thanks for help,
    Michael

Old 07-15-2006, 05:06 AM   #4
    cartner
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin,

Thank you very much, yes you have helped me a lot since I have came here. God bless you.

I have tried both HCT and Lasix and I think that HCT is more effective than Lasix. You are right in that Lasix doesn't give you the same effect as HCT, I tried only 25 mg of HCT and my blood pressure went down to 120/80 after few hours and it stayed there (unlike Lasix).

Lenin I don't understand what you meant by saying "As far as ED goes, I find that neither is the clear winner, nor even if one or the other is an offender". I remember that you have said before that both cause ED .

If I used HCT is there anything you can tell me to watch for?
    Thanks for help,
    Michael

Old 07-17-2006, 06:08 AM   #5
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Quote:
    Lenin I don't understand what you meant by saying "As far as ED goes, I find that neither is the clear winner, nor even if one or the other is an offender". I remember that you have said before that both cause ED
    What I meant was that ED is illusive and, from my personal experience. I am not sure of the effect of either diuretic on ED. I don't feel I am able to compare them in this regard and I don't know whether both are bad, both are good or whether one is better thhan the other. The literature says that HCTZ is much better in this regard than Lasix...I don't find this to be true.

I HAVE found that my erectability is better with NO drugs and elevated BP but it's not of a degree that would warrant a paper in Lancet.

Nor have I found the ARB's to possess that sexual "enhancement" quality that is occasionally mentioned in the literature. I think its a marketing ploy.

If you take HCTZ, my personal experience is that the aspect that should be most closely monitored is LOW SERUM SODIUM. Suspect it if you feel weak or faint...and have it monitored periodically. DON'T restrict your dietary sodium much if you take a thiazide.

Old 07-17-2006, 06:32 AM   #6
    cartner
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Thank you for your help Lenin .

When you said "DON'T restrict your dietary sodium much if you take a thiazide." you mean the added salt? I know that beef meat and vegetables already contain sodium. Can you explain because I'm confused.
    Thanks,
    Michael

Closed Thread