It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• lisinopril Side Effects

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-22-2006, 07:57 AM   #1
    Ronnie99
    Inactive
    (male)

Ronnie99 HB User
    lisinopril Side Effects

I read the official side effects for the ACE inhibitor lisinopril (generic name for Prinivil, Zestril and Apo-Lisinopril), but was curious if anyone has any insight of side effects they have had. Some report a rash and or allergic reaction. Others tiredness and persistent cough. Anyone have any feedback? I started on this drug a while back and have noticed I have less energy and also sexual performance issues (never had that problem before).

Last edited by Ronnie99; 07-22-2006 at 08:13 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2006, 10:47 AM   #2
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
    Re: lisinopril Side Effects

I was on it for five years and had no side effects that I attributed to the medication at all. However, I was caring for my husband 24/7 at the time and getting very little sleep. He had stroke-induced dementia, and I don't handle stress well. Basically I was a wreck. So if there was any side effect like fatigue, I would have attributed it to the situation, not the med.

Old 07-22-2006, 11:20 AM   #3
    syxx_35
    (male)

syxx_35 HB User

I have been on the med for over a month now, not long I know, but I have noticed no side effects. My BP is still not quite under control, but we are getting there with dosage changes. I like it alot, as I am not as tired as I was when I took the beta blocker for a week.

Old 07-22-2006, 03:48 PM   #4
    nicm
    (male)

nicm HB User

I have been on lisinopril for about 2 months. I statred out at 10mg/day andhave reduced to 5mg/day. In the begining I was very tired all the time,like house bound. I eventually got used to the med and the fatigue has become less. Every now and then I get very tired but in the pm is when I take my lisinopril with a betta blocker. No sexual side effects.

Old 07-22-2006, 05:32 PM   #5
    wiredqs
    Veteran
    (female)

wiredqs HB User

I took it for 3 days, rash over most of my body, swollen face and lips, also legs were so badly swollen that dr. sent me for ultra sound to see if I had blood clots in the legs...however hubby takes it with no problems.

Old 07-22-2006, 05:45 PM   #6
    Cheyenne1
    (female)

Cheyenne1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronnie99
    I read the official side effects for the ACE inhibitor lisinopril (generic name for Prinivil, Zestril and Apo-Lisinopril), but was curious if anyone has any insight of side effects they have had. Some report a rash and or allergic reaction. Others tiredness and persistent cough. Anyone have any feedback? I started on this drug a while back and have noticed I have less energy and also sexual performance issues (never had that problem before).
    Hey Ronnie Both my MIL and Hubby take this med and have had tiredness and yes even SP issues in hubby you need to talk to your doctor about this (not like they havent heard it before) Taking HBP meds there is often sexual performance issues...its really common especially if you are on other meds with Lisinopril. My Hubby used to change his routine and take the HBP meds at night which might work for you but I would talk to the doc and see if its ok to do so first.
    Possible side effects are:
    cough
    dizziness
    headache
    excessive tiredness
    upset stomach
    diarrhea
    weakness
    sneezing
    runny nose
    decrease in sexual ability
    rash
    Some side effects can be serious. The following symptoms are uncommon, but if you experience any of them, call your doctor immediately:

swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, eyes, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs
    hoarseness
    difficulty breathing or swallowing
    fever, sore throat, chills, and other signs of infection
    yellowing of the skin or eyes
    lightheadedness
    fainting
    chest pain

Old 07-23-2006, 08:54 AM   #7
    Ronnie99
    Inactive
    (male)

Ronnie99 HB User

Thanks for the responses! I had a stange coincidence in that I was started on the medication at the same time I was diagnosed with mononucleosis. Apparently I am one of the rare over age 40 people who had never encountered that virus before.

Anyway, I had a lot of symptoms that I assumed to be mono related since mono is a rather serious viral illness. In looking back, I think my redness and swelling in the face must have been lisinopril but at the time I just sort of grinned and bore it since I was told by the doc that mono was going to be a bear to get over. I'm totally guessing here but I was probably allergic to the medication but kept taking it. Maybe I have immunized myself and gotten over the allergy since it does not bother me as much now although I seem to have the light sensitivity side effect.....

Old 07-23-2006, 09:20 AM   #8
    Cheyenne1
    (female)

Cheyenne1 HB User

Wow Ronnie Mono?! You were really run down then. after thought...I havent heard that since High school! They used to call that the kissin disease... But we all know that aint the case here....Vacation for you is in order! Relax take it easy and recooperate! Take care of yourself sweetie and stop to smell the roses!

Old 07-23-2006, 09:28 AM   #9
    Ronnie99
    Inactive
    (male)

Ronnie99 HB User

Cheyenne: Thanks! Yeah, Mono is the common name but it is caused by a common virus called Epstein Barr that affects people differently especially depending on what age they are when they encounter it (I've learned a lot about it since getting it.... lol) By 40 years old apparently 95% of people carry the virus (people carry it for life once they have it) but I was not one of them. Unfortunately if you get it as an adult it hits you a lot harder than teenagers. I feel a lot better now though fortunately....

Anyway, having the bug and starting on a relatively significant medication for an unrelated condition at the same time was probably not a wise decision. As you can guess, I've since switched docs.

Last edited by Ronnie99; 07-23-2006 at 09:29 AM.

Old 07-23-2006, 09:58 AM   #10
    Cheyenne1
    (female)

Cheyenne1 HB User

Im so happy your feelin better! And bravo to you for changing Docs! My Mother was uncontrolled with her BP all the meds they kept puttin her on (and its in the hundreds) were mostly horrible for her where side effects were concerned...she silently suffered for years until I started stickin my nose in it and telling her to change docs and to tell them how bad it was! No energy headaches constantly even bending over to tie her shoes left her breathless and finally in the end her kidneys failed. Always always keep appointments write down how you feel from day to day (keep a journal it helps the doctors alot) I do it with my MIL now. If your feeling drained tell him so he can adjust the meds for you or change them. Prevent what my mom went through for your sake it was a horrible experience.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:48 AM   #11
    devie41
    (male)

devie41 HB User

I have been taking lisinopril 10mg daily and was able to cut it in half and still have a normal BP of 134/83 some days better. I have so far....no problems with lisinopril. I due know that you have to have a blood test to see if lisinopril is holding your potasium and you have to have your kidneys/ liver tested. The only thing I have heard about lsinopril is that is make you retain your potasium levels and not to take a potasium suppliment. The other BP meds I was taking made me dizzy, amost faint. I found out I had an alergic reaction to afeditab......................... :-)

Old 08-04-2006, 01:10 PM   #12
    TheresaH
    (female)

TheresaH HB User
    Unhappy Re: lisinopril Side Effects

I've been taking the 10mg lisinopril for several months and didn't notice any side effects. My blood pressure was still high though, so I got bumped up to 20mg at my last physical. I've been taking that for a few days and I'm so very tired, I can't hardly stand it. I'm having a hard time getting through the day. I hope this goes away soon or I'm going to have to change meds or something. My blood pressure is normal now though, so it is working.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:38 PM   #13
    CatKiki
    (female)

CatKiki HB User

I take 5mg of Lisinopril twice a day, morning and evening and also 75mg of Plavix every morning. It is good to know the side effects of the Lisinopril. I see my doctor every 2 months and almost every time, I have a blood test. Now I know why.

I am always sneezing and such but I was doing that before I started taking the Lisinopril. I was originally on Vasotec but my insurance wouldn't cover that drug and called the doc for a replacement.

Closed Thread