It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Swollen legs?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-23-2006, 08:04 PM   #1
    Tryin2Live
    (female)

Tryin2Live HB User
    Swollen legs?

Hello all, my dad is 56, is obese and has very high blood pressure and has for about 10 years. He is on blood pressure meds and they have seemed to do okay. His legs have always been swollen which we thought had to do with his obesity and he even went to the doctor and had them ultrasound for blood clots and they came back fine. Now for the past few weeks his right leg has gotten huge and it has a few bumps on them and it is leaking watery stuff. They're very red and shiny, and it looks like it's spreading, does anyone have any idea what this could be? I'm concerned it might be related to heart problems but really we have no idea.

He also has diabetes but it's very mild.

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2006, 03:06 AM   #2
    cartner
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
    Re: Swollen legs?

Hi,

What are the medications that your father is using?
    Michael

Old 08-24-2006, 12:35 PM   #3
    bkh
    (female)

bkh HB User

I have just been taken off of Norvasc due to terrible, incapacitating swelling in my legs and feet. Really lowered the numbers however.

As of today I am on Hydrochlorothiazide (diuretics). Will check again with the doc in one month to see if it's working. I am new to high blood pressure.

There are quite a few different options for HBP meds.

Old 08-25-2006, 05:46 AM   #4
    cartner
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkh
    I have just been taken off of Norvasc due to terrible, incapacitating swelling in my legs and feet. Really lowered the numbers however.

As of today I am on Hydrochlorothiazide (diuretics). Will check again with the doc in one month to see if it's working. I am new to high blood pressure.

There are quite a few different options for HBP meds.
    Could you please tell me for how many months you have used Norvasc before you get swelling in the legs an feet?
    Thanks,
    Michael

Old 08-25-2006, 10:11 AM   #5
    Sonia567
    (female)

Sonia567 HB User

I am not sure about swollen legs, but I had swollen feet and ankles when I discovered that I had undetected high BP for who knows how long (I was also having chest pain). Several days after I notice the swelling, I went to a series of appts with general dr and cardiologist and was diagnosed with an enlarged heart, due to untreated high BP. I now know that swelling of the feet/ankles, along with dizziness and chest pains are symptons of an enlarged heart. Your Dad's symptons sound different with the rash also, but if he has had high BP a long time, it might be something to check into.

Old 08-25-2006, 05:58 PM   #6
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Tryin2live,

Leg swelling with ulceration in diabetes is an emergency of the highest order. Get him to an emergency room because the outcome of the situation, if unattended, is loss of a leg.

Leg swelling by itself can be a sign of cardiomyopathy, or heart failure.

He REALLY needs to see a doctor.

If he is on any calcium channel blockers like Norvasc (amlodipine), diltiazem, nifedipine or verapamil, they can ALL readily cause swelling of the legs and ankles.

Closed Thread