It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Magnesium

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-03-2006, 09:09 AM   #1
    asp
    (male)

asp HB User
    Red face Magnesium

I have been taking Avapro for about 8 months now.
    BP is down, but not 100% satisfactory. Doc prescribed Atanol (25mg per day)
    I also have started taking Magnesium Tablets on my own and for some reason, I feel a lot more calm now. Would it be the Atanol or Magnesium ? Feels great, I am not so uptight about everything..
    I also checked my BP and is 122/75. WOW...

One other thing, everytime I check my BP at Drug Store, my first reading is always around 130's over high 80's.
    My second reading a couple of minutes later is usually much less...
    120's over high 70's. Any reason for this..Just curious..

asp

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2006, 12:17 PM   #2
    cartner
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
    Re: Magnesium

Quote:
    Originally Posted by asp
    I have been taking Avapro for about 8 months now.
    BP is down, but not 100% satisfactory. Doc prescribed Atanol (25mg per day)
    I also have started taking Magnesium Tablets on my own and for some reason, I feel a lot more calm now. Would it be the Atanol or Magnesium ? Feels great, I am not so uptight about everything..
    I also checked my BP and is 122/75. WOW...

One other thing, everytime I check my BP at Drug Store, my first reading is always around 130's over high 80's.
    My second reading a couple of minutes later is usually much less...
    120's over high 70's. Any reason for this..Just curious..

asp
    Hi,

You are talking about Atenolol? I don't know what's Atanol. Anyway Magnesium makes me calm and it has regulated my heart rate in addition to helping reducing the medication. I take 250 mg of Magnesium Oxide on an empty stomach and also I take Flaxseed and other supplements.
    Thanks,
    Michael

Old 10-03-2006, 12:48 PM   #3
    WYSIWYG
    (female)

WYSIWYG HB User

asp, if you will look at the recent weeks' threads you will find a lot of good information on magnesium. Maybe more, with the site's search features.

Best of luck,

~Susan

Old 10-04-2006, 04:34 AM   #4
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

WYSIWIG,

Atenolol relaxes by blocking the attachement of pressor agents like adrenaline.
    Magnesium relaxes the smooth, involuntary muscles of the body.

Probably BOTH are contributing to your feeling of well-being.

Last edited by Lenin; 10-04-2006 at 04:34 AM.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:23 AM   #5
    WYSIWYG
    (female)

WYSIWYG HB User

Lenin, it was asp asking, not I, but since we're on the subject, is Atenolol a better beta-blocker than Toprol, as far as the side effects?

I think adrenalin is a big contributor to my brand of HBP-- I'm in high-stress work.

But I'm getting despairing willies on the Torprol.

~S~

Old 10-05-2006, 06:47 AM   #6
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

WYSIWIG,

Sorry for the mix-up.

With beta-blockers, people react very differently. You really have to try them til you find one you like.
    Since insomnia was one of my major complaints with them, I settled on propranolol with its short half life so I could take a dose morning and afternoon and STILL get some sleep. (I've tried atenolol, propranolol, and nadolol.)

I think the ALL have a depressive quality to them, bothe physically and psychologically, but there is also an element of adrenaline control which can make them relaxing in fromt of the TV!

Try atenolol, or propranolol (not the XL vbersion) and see if you like one better than the Toprol. If not, there's nadolol (all cheap generics)...and then it's on to the more expensive patented brands.

Depression is too high a price to pay for blood pressure control. If they all cause it for you then junk the drug class.

Last edited by Lenin; 10-05-2006 at 06:49 AM.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:58 PM   #7
    WYSIWYG
    (female)

WYSIWYG HB User

But I might get a better result (and less side effects) from one item in that class than from the other items?

~Susan

Old 10-06-2006, 05:45 AM   #8
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Yes, you might.

Closed Thread