It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Benicar--hct

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-30-2006, 09:54 AM   #1
    GEORGEP
    Veteran
    (male)

GEORGEP HB User
    Benicar--hct

I was taking Diovan for 3 years to control my blood pressure. I noticed a few weeks ago that my numbers were getting higher---133-86 was the average. Before I was averaging around 125/80. I went to the doctor and the nurse checked it and it was 148/100. The doctor checked it again later and it was 133/80. He checked my right arm and it was 144/95. He has changed my medication to BENICAR-HCT 40/25. I started taking it on Friday . I exercise everyday ( treadmill walking ) and I sweat alot. I just read that exericise can cause you to feel faint while taking this medication. Is that because of the diuretic? I never had any problems with Diovan which is in the same class of drugs as Olmersartan ( benicar). Should I drink alot of water before and during exercise? I checked my blood pressure yesterday and it was very low all day 95/65..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2006, 07:14 AM   #2
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User
    Re: Benicar--hct

Hi GeorgeP,

I've been on Benicar for approx. 3 months. This has been the most potent of all ARB's I've taken. Much stronger than DIOVAN, COZAAR. I take 10 mg a day. (I split a 20 mg tablet in half). At my last checkup, my blood pressure was a perfect 120/70... I believe 10 mg of Benicar is much more potent than COZAAR 50mg and DIOVAN 80..

I believe it's best to start with a lower dose with these newer more potent medications (such as Benicar). 40/20 is considered the maximal dose. If 10 mg makes me a bit lightheaded, I can imagine how I would feel taking 4 times that amount + a diuretic.

I take 10 mg of plain Benicar without the diuretic with almost no side effects. My only concern about this medication is that research studies have been very limited, and it's the newest pill of the ARB class. Newer and more potent doesn't always mean better. (Remember VIOXX and BAYCHOL).

As a suggestion, ask your MD if you can either split your pill in half (20/10)
    or take plain Benicar without the diuretic component.

I hope this information was helpful...

Old 10-31-2006, 08:09 AM   #3
    GEORGEP
    Veteran
    (male)

GEORGEP HB User

Thanks ACE10... I called my doctor this morning and left a message. I have been checking my blood pressure at night around 7o and they are very low-95-65 last night. I took 3 readings. When I took the Diovan I did not notice any side effects and I did not feel any differently. Since the Benicar I can really feel the difference. I feel very relaxed and sometimes a little dizzy.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:56 AM   #4
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

GeorgeP,

I agree.. I sometimes feel a bit tired and (a little out out of it)and I'm only taking 10mg. My doctor was very much aware that Benicar is a much more potent ARB, and is proven with once a day dosing to reduce blood pressure for 24 hours (pretty consistently). It has to be potent......

10 mg of Benicar is more potent than 50 mg of atenolol and more potent than various doses of Norvasc and Capoten..

The lowest prescribed dosage is 5 mg. Tablets are 5, 20 and 40. I split my 20 mg tab in half. (This is also cost effective) It appears almost any dose will lower blood pressure.

These are a few articles I found on PubMed:

Olmesartan medoxomil is a new angiotensin II receptor blocker. In this randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study, the efficacy and safety of olmesartan medoxomil was assessed in 334 patients with moderate to severe essential hypertension. Patients were randomized to receive placebo; 5, 20, or 80 mg olmesartan medoxomil q.d.; or 2.5, 10, or 40 mg olmesartan medoxomil b.i.d. Ambulatory and cuff blood pressure were measured prior to and after 8 weeks of treatment. Treatment with olmesartan medoxomil resulted in a significant placebo-adjusted reduction of mean 24-hour ambulatory diastolic blood pressure of 9.6 mm Hg, 12.2 mm Hg, and 10.6 mm Hg in the 5-, 20-, and 80-mg q.d. groups, respectively. Corresponding reductions in mean ambulatory systolic blood pressure were 14.5 mm Hg, 16.5 mm Hg, and 15.4 mm Hg. Similar reductions of diastolic and systolic blood pressure were seen with b.i.d. dosing. The diastolic trough-to-peak ratios of the q.d. doses of olmesartan medoxomil ranged from 57%-70%, indicating 24-hour effectiveness. The safety profile of olmesartan medoxomil was similar to that of placebo. Olmesartan medoxomil appears to be a safe and effective once-a-day treatment for hypertension. Copyright 2002 Le Jacq Communications, Inc.

PMID: 12368570 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

This article shows the 10 mg strength:

OBJECTIVE: To compare the relative efficacy and safety of olmesartan medoxomil (OM) with atenolol, captopril and losartan in phase III trials on mild to severely hypertensive patients. DESIGN: Multi-centre, randomized, double-blind, parallel group, with dose-titration studies lasting 12 or 24 weeks. METHODS: Two studies respectively compared 10 mg OM once daily (o.d.) with: (1) 50 mg atenolol o.d. in moderate to severe hypertensives receiving 25 mg hydrochlorothiazide o.d. over 12 weeks; and (2) 50 mg losartan o.d. in mild to moderate hypertensives over 24 weeks, both with dose doubling at week4 if required. Study 3 compared 5 mg OM o.d. plus placebo o.d.with 12.5 mg captopril twice daily in mild to moderate hypertensives over 12 weeks, with dose doubling at weeks 4 and 8 if required. The primary outcome measure for all studies was the change from baseline to week 12 in trough mean sitting diastolic blood pressure (DBP). Safety was monitored throughout all studies. RESULTS: (1) Atenolol and OM both reduced BP effectively in moderate to severe hypertensives. OM was significantly superior to: (2) losartan (95% confidence interval for baseline to week 12 change in DBP < 0, lower limit < -3.6 mmHg); and (3) captopril (95% confidence interval for baseline to week 12 change in DBP < 0, lower limit < -4.8 mmHg) in BP reduction for mild to moderate hypertensives. Treatment with OM was safe and well tolerated. CONCLUSION: At the doses tested, olmesartan medoxomil o.d. is as effective as atenolol, and more effective than both losartan and captopril in reducing blood pressure in the hypertensive population.

PMID: 11451215 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I hope this info helps

Old 10-31-2006, 09:28 AM   #5
    GEORGEP
    Veteran
    (male)

GEORGEP HB User
    To : ACE28

Thanks for the information. I know I feel so much better during the day now. I just checked my bp and it was 115/74 . My readings during the day were much higher with the Diovan.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:11 PM   #6
    camjunkie
    (male)

camjunkie HB User

I took Benicar HCT for a three weeks and it made me sick as a dog. I would turn "green" after taking the drug. I also had constant pressure in my head along with dizziness. I now take Diovan 80mg and feel much better.

Just give your body a little time to adjust to the medication. It sounds like you might already be adjusting. Once some time passes you'll know whether Benicar HCT is right for your body.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:34 PM   #7
    flowersx2
    (female)

flowersx2 HB User

I took Diovan and Micardis and both did not lower my BP. But, Benicar does, and my doc prescribed 20 mg and 25mg hctzt. I cut both in half and was getting readings of 110/60 (very low for me). I recently dropped the hctzt and my reading are now 120/70 and I feel better after dropping it.

eta: In December I had bloodwork done and my potassium was low. Probably due to the diuretic. I am getting it rechecked this Friday. Low potassium can also cause fatigue and dizziness.

Last edited by flowersx2; 02-19-2007 at 06:37 PM. Reason: more info

Closed Thread